6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 1:19 PM by thxapproved

Effect editor timeline keyframing problems

thxapproved Level 1

Have been working with Premiere CS6 now for some time.  There is one issue that is very difficult to overcome.  When trying to place a keyframe on the last frame of a clip in the effect editor, the editor never displays the last frame.  You have to physically slide the keyframe off the display (therefore it becomes hidden).  I've tried resizing the effect editor window, zooming in, etc. to no avail.

An example:  I'm trying to scale an image or move some text around the screen.  I want the motion to end on the last frame of the clip (therefore, the motion appearing to contine through the last frame of the clip), so I randomly place a keyframe towards the end of the clip, scale/move the image/element to my liking and then drag the keyframe to the end of the clip.  Except, where it allows me to drag the keyframe is not the end of the clip, but usually two or three frames before the end.  So, I have to drag the keyframe until it disappears off the end of the effect editor window (keyframe no longer visable).  Then if I ever want to move that keyframe again, I have to extend the clip on the main timeline grab the keyframe in the effect editor, move it bacwards in time and then re-adjust the clip in the timeline.

Is there something I'm missing or is this just a programming/coding flaw/feature.?

Thanks!

-Todd

Premiere CS6

Windows 7/64 bit

Intel i7 950

12GB RAM

nVidia GTX470

• 1. Re: Effect editor timeline keyframing problems
          Felix CL Level 3

the last frame "begins" on the beginning of the the last frame,

this seems a bit funny, but that's, how it is in any NLE:

where you place your playhead, you see the frame that sits behind it, so when you place your keyframe at the end of the last frame, you actually place it on the next frame, which is cut off / already the first frame of the next clip.

place your keyframe one frame before the cut and you'll be fine.

You might not find the keyframe on a long clip until you zoom in on the effects timeline, but as soon as you zoom in to the end of the clip there, you'll see it.

also you can use the "go to next keyframe" -button to go there and activate it then tweak it. Or simply go to the last frame (it's Beginning) and tweak the value of your animation.

lastframe.jpg

• 2. Re: Effect editor timeline keyframing problems
            thxapproved Level 1

Thanks Felix!

This I do understand.  I've been using Premiere since 6.5 and have used Pro 1, CS3, 4, 5, and now CS6.  I also use Avid, Avid DS and others.

I guess, let me clarify my earlier question/problem.

The problem is more to the fact that in the previous versions of Premiere, when you would drag the keyframe to the end of the effect editor window (zoomed in or not), your keyframe would end up on the last frame of the clip.  Not so in CS6.  Now normally, sure, you would just create the keyframe in the spot you need it and be done.  However, if you are copying and pasting an effect and the second clip is longer, you sometimes need to drag the keyframe to the end of the clip.  My point in this discussion is that in previous versions, when you would drag the keyframe to the point at which it would no longer move (physically stopped moving on the screen) whether you were zoomed in on the effect editor or not, you would be on the last frame of the clip.  In this version, this is not the case.  Sometime it makes it all the way to the end.  But, more often than not, the keyframe is usually a few frames prior to the end of the clip.  Without zooming in all the way, sometimes it is a little difficult getting that keyframe all the way to the end.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Effect editor timeline keyframing problems
              EditorPete Level 1

Had this problem myself....when you are in your Effects control panel, go to the pull down on the right of that panel. Uncheck Pin to Clip.

Anne B. told me about this.

Pete

• 4. Re: Effect editor timeline keyframing problems
                thxapproved Level 1

Thanks Pete!

I tried that as well.  What appears to be happening (I just went and experimented a little more), is that in CS6, the effect editor window (when zoomed out) will not always show you the entire clip.  For example, I pushed the keyframe just out of view of the end of the clip and when I zoomed in to the maximum, the keyframe was on the last frame.  However, if I just dragged it to where it "snapped" to the "end,"  that was 3 frames before the end of the clip.  In previous versions there was a little darkened "dog ear" showing the end of the clip in the effects editor.  That is now gone.  So now, there is no visual clue indicating whether you are actually seeing the full clip in the effect editor. It is just one solid color bar.  I wonder if this could even be addressed? 

Overall, this version is a nice improvement.  There are just a few minor things that are a small setback...

Thanks everyone.. please keep the information coming.  I'm hoping I'm still just missing something.  Perhaps this is not a bug.. but perhaps just a new "feature" I haven't fully embraced

-Todd

• 5. Re: Effect editor timeline keyframing problems
                  EditorPete Level 1

Unfortunately for the Pin to Clip to either be on or off, you must have more than one clip on timeline...just seemed to see this as well, as most of my edits I have multiple clips. If you are only working with one clip on your timeline put something at the end of your sequence.  See below.

Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 1.53.14 PM.png

• 6. Re: Effect editor timeline keyframing problems
                    thxapproved Level 1

Thanks so much for the reply.  That helped immensely!  It's still a little clunky for me, but at least it does work!