7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2012 10:32 AM by sPretzel

Manually setting list numbers

sPretzel Level 1

Hi,

This is for CS4. Is there a way to manually set the numbers in a list (e.g. figure numbers)? And do so by setting the starting number to any number, not necessarily to 1.

For example, I have the following list that appears in the text in this order:

n1

n2

n23

n24

n3

n4

n5

etc.

I would like to set n23 and n24 to n3 and n4 and resume the list at n5 instead of n3, in other words:

n1

n2

n3 (n23 becomes n3)

n4 (n24 becomes n4)

n5 (n3 becomes n5)

n6

n7

etc.

The reason for this issue is that I am trying to wrap text around an object. If I anchor the object in the current text frame, all figure numbers are in sequence but I am not quite getting the wrapping appearance I want. If I put the object in a separate text frame on top of the current text frame,, I get the wrapping appearance I am looking for but because the object is now in a separate frame, the figure numbering in the two text frames is out of sequence.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Manually setting list numbers
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

First check if all your text, which is a list, use the same paragraph definition.

In this paragraph definition (booklet and numbering) it supposed to be set:

- level        1

- format:    1,2,3,4...

- number    n^#^.

You could save it as a paragraph style of cource.

In case of keeping runaround -

- set it to the proper value when object is in a separate frame

- copy/paste it into chosen location inside a text

- use custom anchored object setting to define its final position;

should work

• 2. Re: Manually setting list numbers
            sPretzel Level 1

In case of keeping runaround -

- set it to the proper value when object is in a separate frame

- copy/paste it into chosen location inside a text

- use custom anchored object setting to define its final position;

should work

Hi,

Thanks for your response. The figure numbering is indeed in a paragraph style. I don't understand the remainder of your answer and whether it refers to setting the figure numbering manually or anchoring an object.

How do you "set it to the proper value"?

What do you mean by "runaround"?

• 3. Re: Manually setting list numbers
              Jump_Over Level 5

sPretzel wrote:

The reason for this issue is that I am trying to wrap text around an object. If I anchor the object in the current text frame, all figure numbers are in sequence but I am not quite getting the wrapping appearance I want. If I put the object in a separate text frame on top of the current text frame,, I get the wrapping appearance I am looking for but because the object is now in a separate frame, the figure numbering in the two text frames is out of sequence....

I am talking about yours "I am not quite getting the wrapping appearance I want."

Text wraps around an object because object's runaround property is set to "item" and some top, left, bottom, right values are set as well.

Am I misunderstood something, perhaps...

rgds

• 4. Re: Manually setting list numbers
                sPretzel Level 1

Hi Jump_Over,

I appreciate your response but I don't think it is answering the initial question regarding manually setting numbering.

As to the "runaround" property of an object, I cannot find it in InDesign CS4.

• 5. Re: Manually setting list numbers
                  Michael Gianino Level 4

It's called Runaround in QuarkXPress, and Text Wrap in InDesign. Same thing—different names. It's in the Window pull-down menu in InDesign.

• 6. Re: Manually setting list numbers
                    sPretzel Level 1

I see. In any case, the text wrapping and anchoring is a separate issue - I don't believe, based on what I have read elsewhere, that there is a good solution in CS4 for it, given that an inline or anchored object in a frame is treated as a character by InDesign. In particular, the line containing the anchor is not affected by the text wrap which is a problem.

If anybody has a tip for the manual setting of the numbering however, that would be an acceptable workaround.

• 7. Re: Manually setting list numbers
                      sPretzel Level 1

Any suggestions for the manual numbering? Thanks.