Please list the exact steps taken for export, including settings used.
- Set the Queue-in and Queue-out points to the beginning and end of the sequence
- Cmd-M to bring up dialog
- Change "preset" dropdown to "HD 702p 24, H.264, AAC 48khz"
- Format dropdown (and all other settings) left in default settings
- Validate in the preview window that the start and stop (aka, queue-in and queue-out points) are correct ... they are.
- Press "Queue" button
- Media Encoder application is launched and export job is listed in the list
- I press the "play" or "start" icon and it starts with "reading XMP"
- After a minute (or probably a bit less), it finishes that and you start to see the frames it is processing ... this is wrong ... it has started at the wrong point.
- You can continue to the end ... I have ... but the preview window in the Encoder tells the right story ... it is transcoding the wrong starting point for the video while the audio starts at the right location!
Let me know if you need any other details. It is worth noting that ALL settings and processes were duplicated for the other four clips I ran and they work absolutely fine.
Set the Queue-in and Queue-out points to the beginning and end of the sequence
I've also now created three additional videos for context.
The first one shows the Premiere preview window used during editing:
The second one shows the "export settings" dialog when I hit CMD-M:
The final video shows the transcoder window where you'll see the video starting point is not what it was supposed to be:
First, what codec is used for the MOV files on the timeline.
Next, you have a frame rate change from source (25) to export (24). Try not to do that.
Finally, I know QuickTime is pretty standard on Macs, but it's an outdated, buggy as hell container best avoided whenever possible. Try exporting to the standard MP4 container instead.
I switched to H.264 as the "format" and then choose the setting for Vimeo 720p 25 to avoid the 25->24 (not to mention the target for this video is Vimeo anyway). Anyway, I'm guessing these new settings are better -- and I'll use them going forward -- but WRT to the problem i'm having it still happens exactly the same way.
OK, that leaves the question of what's in the MOV files used in the timeline?
Ok, i'm not sure the best way to answer this. All the video comes from a Sony camcorder. Six of the audio channels also come from the same camcorder and the final audio channel comes from a Zoom 4H recorder. I recorded the video and audio straight through all five speakers and then cut each speaker's talk into an individual "sequence". The other sequences all worked like a charm but not this one. In an act of desperation I did duplicate the sequence but that sequence demonstrated the same issue. I haven't yet recut the sequence from the original as I'm hoping not to lose all the work I did on the transitions and other editing I did on the currently broken sequence.
What other things would you want to know about the source content?
Hmmm. What model camera? These area original MOVs, or transcoded somehow?
The MOV's are directly off the camera. The camera is a garden variety Sony Handycam HDR-SR8. I actually am pretty sure the source MOV isn't the problem because the same source file works just fine in 4 out of 5 cases. Just to restate, the source footage for all 5 sequences comes from 1 file that I ran continuously through the 5 sesions. I just cut the appropriate sections into new sequences and then am left with this problem.
Very convenient for me to say that I don't think its the MOV files though as I have no alternative theory. It's all very strange. Not sure what to do.
Ok, I've now solved my problem. I had basically given up and decided to create a new seqence, cut in the video segment and then redo the editing again but then ...
I looked at the Project window and noticed that the sequence had it's "video-in" setting to 5 minutes in. What? I had done this originally as an offset to the full video clip but now that the sequence represented the full clip the offset was still in place and this caused the problems. I'm pretty surprised that all the preview windows ignored this setting and I'm also wondering what use this setting is if it doesn't offset the audio by the same increment too (I guess those columns could be brought in too). Anyway, it's nice that sanity has returned to the world.
Below is a screen shot of the project window which had the incriminating evidence in it (note: I fixed it so you'll just see zero's in place of the 5 minute offset I had in there but I've used a visual pointer to the field in question).
The MOV's are directly off the camera. The camera is a garden variety Sony Handycam HDR-SR8.
Glad you got it solved. I never would have thought of that, mostly because people don't often change the "In" point of a sequence, which is all that column indicates.
On another note, that camera records AVCHD, not MOV. So you're not working with originals here, but converted files. (Not that it really matters here, just a point of interest, really.)