11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2012 3:02 PM by Peter Spier

How to Exclude Frame on First Page

harooki2 Level 1

I am using a Trial version of ID CS6 on a PC.

I have two master pages whereon I have placed a frame with a gradient color fill (this is a facing page document). I do not want that frame with the gradient fill to display on my first page, so I have selected none for the master on that page (it is not attached to a master).

There are some other things on the master that disappear when I unattach the master from the first page, but the frame with the gradient is still there. I want to get rid of it on the first page. How do I do that?

• 1. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you place content into that frame, or otherwise override it onto the document page?

• 2. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page
            harooki2 Level 1

I placed a frame onto the master page and filled it with a gradient color. My problem is that I haven't been able to override it by unattaching page 1 from the master or any other method.

• 3. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page

OK, I'm not quite understanding what you want, I guess.

If the frame is on the master, and you don't override it or detach it (you may not be understanding what that means to ID), it should disappear when you apply the None master instead. If it doesn't, then that implies that at some point you must have overridden it onto the document page, perhaps in your other experimentation.

Try this: Select the page, then open the Pages panel and the panel flyout menu, then choose Remove All Local Overrides. Now switch to the None master.

• 4. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page
                harooki2 Level 1

I hope the image makes this problem clearer.

11-2-2012 4-11-05 PM.jpg

• 5. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page

Lot's clearer, thanks.

Two questions. Is there something in that frame now on page 1, or is it behind a bunch of other frames? On the master pages, do you have two separate frames with gradients, or one frame that spans the two pages?

• 6. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page
                    harooki2 Level 1

I have two separate frames with gradients, and they are only on the master pages. The 25% transparancy you see on page 1 is in a large frame, and the separate text objects are in frames of their own. As far as I know, those are the only frames on page 1. I haven't learned yet how to detect all the frames on a page.

• 7. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page

And the photo is in a frame by itself, too?

Are you able to select the frame with the gradient?  Looks like Windows in the screen shot, so you may have to hold down the Ctrl key and click a few times to work  down to the bottom of the stack -- if I'm wrong and it's Mac that would be the Cmd key, or you can open the Layers panel and expand the layer by clciking the little triangle next to the name, then click the tiny box to the right of the frame you want to select. If you can select it, at this pont the easiest thing to do is just delete it.

Otherwise, reapply master A, then follow the instructions above to remove local overrides, and then reassign the None master.

• 8. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page
                        harooki2 Level 1

And the photo is in a frame by itself, too?

yes

Are you able to select the frame with the gradient?

Yes, but it's on the Master page.

Looks like Windows in the screen shot

It is Windows 7.

you can open the Layers panel and expand the layer by clciking the little triangle next to the name, then click the tiny box to the right of the frame you want to select. If you can select it, at this pont the easiest thing to do is just delete it.

There is no object in the layers panel that I want to delete (I need them all). I have cycled through them all.

Otherwise, reapply master A, then follow the instructions above to remove local overrides, and then reassign the None master.

When I reapply master A to page 1, Remove All Local Overrides is grayed out.

• 9. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page

Are you able to select the frame on PAGE 1? It doesn't really matter where it was created at the moment.

> When I reapply master A to page 1, Remove All Local Overrides is grayed out. This makes it sound like the frame is actually on the right side of the master. Does it cross the gutter on the master, even slightly? What version on ID are you using?

• 10. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page
                            harooki2 Level 1

I just fixed it by manipulating the frames on the master. I have no idea what I did to fix it, because they appear to be in the same spots as before. In any case, it's fixed. Thank you so much for hanging with me.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: How to Exclude Frame on First Page

If that frame was over the page edge even a little bit it would cause that problem.