6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2012 6:01 PM by Colin Flashman

I need to DataMerge(Multiple Records)...& create dups of those on the same pg

MariaBrenny

I've been trying a few things with DataMerge to create a document that has 4 records on a page, and having that record duplicated 4x on the page.

See the illustration below.

datamerge-01.jpg

So far, no luck on the formatting. (DataMerge is hooked up and working) Is this formatting even possible with DataMerge, or is this too complicated for this utility?

I have a couple thousand records that need to be formatted like this, so I'd like to automate as much as possible. Suggestions on how to minimize the amount of manual-formatting would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks-

Maria

• 1. Re: I need to DataMerge(Multiple Records)...& create dups of those on the same pg
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

The only way to accomplish this with a datamerge is to modify the data source. You would have to change data so one record is on one row and look like this:

N1 P1A P1B P1C N2 P2A P2B P2C N3 P3A P3B P3C N4 P4A P4B P4C

• 2. Re: I need to DataMerge(Multiple Records)...& create dups of those on the same pg
            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

completely agree with Jeffrey_Smith. Can be done, but it's all how the header row is presented.

at the moment i'm guessing that the header row is:

NAME     PHONE1     PHONE2     PHONE3

The header row as it is won't work because indesign's data merge doesn't have the "next record" feature that Microsoft Word's "Mail Merge" has. Instead, you would have to do as Jeffrey_Smith suggests, which is:

NAMEA     PHONE1A     PHONE2A     PHONE3A     NAMEB     PHONE1B     PHONE2B     PHONE3B     NAMEC     PHONE1C     PHONE2C     PHONE3C     NAMED     PHONE1D     PHONE2D     PHONE3D

in the top left text box, add the fields into the text box as such:

NAMEA

PHONE1A     PHONE2A     PHONE3A

NAMEB

PHONE1B     PHONE2B     PHONE3B

NAMEC

PHONE1C     PHONE2C     PHONE3C

NAMED

PHONE1D     PHONE2D     PHONE3D

so far as the 4-up, i'm assuming that this is for the purpose of imposition for trimming later. If that's the case, simply copy and paste the textboxes to their desired positions.

hope this helps.

• 3. Re: I need to DataMerge(Multiple Records)...& create dups of those on the same pg
              MariaBrenny Level 1

CDFlash, you're correct--The header row is Name, Phone1, Phone2, Phone3

The actual application is for a GET OUT THE VOTE effort. (Helloooooo, grassroots!)

The four-up will be printed on a single sheet of paper, and on election day, one section will be torn off at four differnt times during the day.

Reformatting the Excel (::CSV) file is certainly an option, albeit not one I'm thrilled with. I've simplified the data above for the purposes of this thread. In reality,  I have four fields for name (first, middle, last, suffix) and 3 fields for phone numbers.

I won't get the final CSV files until very last-minute, so I'll be working on a very tight deadline.

CDFlash- When you suggest adding that info into the top left text box, are you suggesting to reformat this in the Excel file?

I'm currently looking into ways AppleScripting might take out some of the manual work, whether in InDesign or in the Excel file. Again, open to any/all suggestions!

Thanks-

M

• 4. Re: I need to DataMerge(Multiple Records)...& create dups of those on the same pg

rather than try to explain in this forum, i've made a demo of what i think you're after, as well as the indesign file and associated text file. go to http://colecandoo.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/namequestion.pdf which features the results I think you're after, and in the Attachments component of the PDF (look for a little paperclip item) the associated indesign file plus the text file it is using for the data merge.

put simply, indesign works with a one to one database relationship. what you're asking is a one to many database relationship, which indesign can't do.

there is another solution involving data merge which doesn't require redoing the database, BUT it requires post-processing the merged file and has many critical control points which may cause issues.

That method is to make a textbox IN INDESIGN FILE AT FINAL TRIM SIZE which has the data merge fields for one record only e.g.

<<NAME>>

<<PHONE1>> <<PHONE2>> <<PHONE3>>

then merge the file using the multiple record feature so that four records are returned for each page.

From here, follow the instructions in this post: http://colecandoo.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/theres-more-than-one-way-to-cut-and-stack/

ultimately, how easy/hard this task can be is determined by whether or not the artwork is imposed or not. Is this something that is going to be printed on a desktop printer in your own office; or something handed off to a commercial printer to print? if the latter is the case, I would let the printer handle the imposition as they have dedicated software for that purpose.

hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: I need to DataMerge(Multiple Records)...& create dups of those on the same pg
                  MariaBrenny Level 1

I'll be starting with 5 separate Excel files, needing to produce 5 separate documents. Lucky for me, there's no crossover in the data. It just means I need to find a workflow, and repeat it with 5 sets of data.

This is going to be printed on a desktop printer. After some noodling around, it looks like multi-page importer is going to work just fine.

For any folks with similar problems, my final workflow:

1. Create InD doc (a mere 2.75" tall!) with one set of data in one text box.
                  2. DataMerge (multiple records), which produces 4 records per tiny page.
                  3. Save the DataMerged InD file
                  4. Add any necessary elements to the A-master (page numbers, labels, etc)
                  5. Export a PDF of that file.
                  6. Create new InD doc the size of my paper.
                  7. Run multi-page import, placing the PDF in the upper left corner.
                  8. Run multi-page import a second time, placing the same PDF file, but offset (2.75", in my case)
                  9. Run multi-page import a third and fourth time, placing the same PDF file, changing the offset. (5.5" and 8.25", in my case)

When I downloaded the multipage importer script, it didn't have any instructions as the link said it would.

I installed the script in Applications>InDesign>Scripts>Scripts Panel>Samples>JavaScript

You can then access this script in InDesign by going to Window>Utilities>Scripts.

Thanks to cdflash for pointing the way!

• 6. Re: I need to DataMerge(Multiple Records)...& create dups of those on the same pg

glad i've been able to help.

the original author of the script (Scott Zanelli) originally wrote instructions for the script and they are available from the SECOND link on the indesignsecrets.com page, as well as the script: http://www.indesignsecrets.com/downloads/MultiPageImporter2_5.zip

however, Scott has moved into other work so his work has been carried on by another author who didn't include the instructions.

nevertheless, glad a solution was reached