7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2012 7:34 AM by rob day

How come the color picker is broken?

Lomacar Level 1

Why is there no HSB option in the inDesign color picker like every other piece of Adobe software? That is the only color picking mode worth using.

• 1. Re: How come the color picker is broken?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That makes sense to me for creating Photoshop or Illustrator artwork. It doesn't make much sense the way most people use InDesign—for creating a layout.

But here's the link for making a feature request:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 2. Re: How come the color picker is broken?
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why is there no HSB option in the inDesign color picker like every other piece of Adobe software?

Probably because ID doesn't have a document color mode like Illustrator or Photoshop. Native objects or swatches in a layout can be a mix of RGB, CMYK, or Lab colored objects—but not Grayscale, HSB, or Hex, which are available in Photoshop.

PhotoshopScreenSnapz001.png

I'm guessing that adding HSB to the ID color picker is not trivial.

• 3. Re: How come the color picker is broken?
              Lomacar Level 1

Adding an HSB color picker is trivial. It's just a picker it doesn't matter what color mode the document or program is using. I don't think any program or document type natively stores colours as HSB values, it is just the most intuitive way to pick colors. Once you have picked the color it can easily be converted to RGB or CMYK values.

• 4. Re: How come the color picker is broken?
                Lomacar Level 1

Steve Werner wrote:

That makes sense to me for creating Photoshop or Illustrator artwork. It doesn't make much sense the way most people use InDesign—for creating a layout.

But here's the link for making a feature request:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

You don't choose colors for things in InDesign?

• 5. Re: How come the color picker is broken?

I don't think any program or document type natively stores colours as HSB values

It's true Photoshop doesn't have an HSB document mode, but you can save colors as HSB swatches and make HSB color corrections, so there is HSB built in.

I agree  it would be nice to have an HSB mode in the color picker, but I don't think it's an oversight, currently RGB, Lab, and CMYK are the only color spaces available in ID—there's no HSB, grayscale, or HEX.

Info set to actual color:

PhotoshopScreenSnapz002.png

• 6. Re: How come the color picker is broken?
                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Of course, I do. But I don't mix colors in InDesign, normally. I think of HSB as being for visually mixing, like you would for a Photoshop image or an Illustrator drawing.

I'm usually choosing CMYK or a spot color like Pantone for my print projects. Or choosing RGB for my digital printing projects. I would usually pick these colors from the Swatches panel so I could apply them multiple times on the pages of the document.

• 7. Re: How come the color picker is broken?

I would usually pick these colors from the Swatches panel so I could apply them multiple times on the pages of the document.

If you prefer a color picker over building a color by the numbers or with sliders, HSB is way better. Try picking a gray or neutral color with the RGB or Lab view in ID vs. the HSB view in PS.

HSB would greatly improve the ID color picker, that's why I'm guessing it's an engineering or cost problem