6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2012 7:33 AM by the_wine_snob

Selecting a clip on the Narration Timeline in PE 11

dloppif

Neither right nor left clicks do anything. Seems to be an intermittent problem as I had no problems in selecting, moving and editing the clip on the Narration Timeline yesterday! It plays OK.  WIN 7 64, quad core processor,8GB RAM, 2 x 1TB HDD,Geforce 210 1024 MB graphics card.

• 1. Re: Selecting a clip on the Narration Timeline in PE 11
          nealeh Level 5

For many years some users have had issues with sound on the narration/soundtrack timelines (although they have always worked fine for me).

The simplest fix is to ignore soundtrack/narration and place your audio on a higher audio track (e.g. Audio2,).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Selecting a clip on the Narration Timeline in PE 11
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here's a thread with a similar problem.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=11404

The problem ended up being a corrupt mouse driver.

• 3. Re: Selecting a clip on the Narration Timeline in PE 11
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If the mouse driver (Steve's link) does not fix things for you, then I agree with Neale.

Because enough users have have issues with both of the Fixed Audio Tracks (Narration and Soundtrack), I have gone to using a free "regular" Audio Track, instead, though never personally had any issues either. Those problems could well have been system, Project, or Asset issues, that others have not experienced. I have never seen a definitive "cause," so can only speculate that something goes wrong, sometimes.

To make sure that the issue is not with the Asset, itself, I do recommend using PCM/WAV Audio Clips @ 48KHz 16-bit, and not some other Audio format/CODEC, like MP3's, which can cause issues. Except for tiny SFX files in MP3, I always convert my Audio to the above WAV files.

That things did work fine, until very recently, also prompts me to ask what Effects (or editing techniques) might have been applied to the faulting Clip?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Selecting a clip on the Narration Timeline in PE 11
                dloppif Level 1

Thanks guys. Subsequent to my post, and after re-booting 3 times, I was suddenly able to select the clip. The old "Kill it and it lives" trick.

The audio was MP3, Bill, and I have several more clips to use in my current project. How do I convert them to WAV?  Would that be necessary if I simply use a regular Audio track as suggested by Nealeh?

However, if I use the Narration facility to record a voice-over using a microphone, am I limited to recording that on the default Narration Timeline or can I specify a regular Audio track? Would appreciate your further advice.

G'day from Down Under

Bob

• 5. Re: Selecting a clip on the Narration Timeline in PE 11
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The best way to convert MP3s to WAV files is to use the wonderful free audio editing program Audacity.

• 6. Re: Selecting a clip on the Narration Timeline in PE 11
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that things are working a bit better now.

I agree with Steve on the use of Audacity. It is free, and a great program.

Usually, I use Adobe Audition, but then I already have that installed, and though much more powerful than Audacity, I actually know it better. Still, Audacity is very powerful too, and the price is certainly right - FREE!

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt