4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2012 10:05 PM by c07brian.kester

Problem with PE9 Organize/Media Preview

c07brian.kester

Hello, I am running PE9 on a Windows 7 computer. I am capturing video with a Canon HDV camcorder and importing it into PE9 using Firewire. I have imported many videos over the last few months with no problems, but this month, my wife imported the video. She's not terribly familiar with PE9 so she and I don't know if she did something different than what I usually do, which is really just use the automatic settings, but I ran into an unusual issue using the PE9 Organize/Preview function (double clicking on a video in the "Organize/Media" tab brings up a preview where you can set in/out points before dragging the video to the timeline). For some reason, on the current batch of videos, I cannot use the "Set in" and "Set out" buttons. I press them and they simply pause the preview, but don't move the in/out points. In other videos I have imported prior to this one, the feature still works, so I am not sure what to do. I tried running auto-analyzer, but it got hung up at 77% on "Media 2 of 41" so I eventually gave up. I can still drag the in/out points to approximately where I want them and then drag the truncated video directly from the preview window to the timeline and from there, cut trim the video further and with better accuracy, but this is quite a bit slower than the normal process. Also, if I close the preview window and then re-open the clip, those in/out position changes are not saved and dragging from the thumbnail always gives the entire clip rather than the trimmed part I want. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Problem with PE9 Organize/Media Preview
          c07brian.kester Level 1

Update: the problem seems to be that the file was not in the "Project" section of the "Organize" tab. I have since added it to the project using the "Get Media" options, but the scenes are not showing up in the Project menu. In the Organize/Media Menu, I can see the separate clips (they were separated by content), but I cannot trim them as stated above. I open the one massive clip in the "Project" section with the Clip Monitor where the "Set in" and "Set out" buttons work, but there are no separated scenes. My previous video files all have multiple entries in a folder underneath the full clip that contains the scenes separated by content by the analyzer in this same section. Since the previous post, I have been able to run the auto-analyzer on the video I imported, which now correctly displays the separated scenes, but only in the "Media" section of the "Organize" tab. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but I would really appreciate some suggestions.

• 2. Re: Problem with PE9 Organize/Media Preview
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Were all of these HDV videos captured by Premiere Elements' Get Media/From HDV Camcorder tool over a FireWire connection?

Were all of these videos captured on your Windows 7 computer, or were some captured on another computer or operating system?

Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

When did you last do a Disk Cleanup and Defragmentation of your drive(s)?

• 3. Re: Problem with PE9 Organize/Media Preview
              c07brian.kester Level 1

Q: Were all of these HDV videos captured by Premiere Elements' Get Media/From HDV tool over a FireWire connection?

A: Yes

Q: Were all of these videos captured on your Windows 7 computer, or were some captured on another computer or operating system?

A: All captured on the same Windows 7 computer

Q: Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

A: Yes... downloaded it less than a week ago, after I was experiencing problems

Q: When did you last do a Disk Cleanup and Defragmentation of your drive(s)?

A: Defrag -  31 Oct with 0% defrag detected. Disk cleanup just accomplished. I have about 384 GB of free space. Seems to be a Premiere Elements issue to me. Just need to figure out how to make it split scenes in Project that are recognized in the Organizer.

Latest try: after the cleanup and because I was not sure I had done this since updating Quicktime, I deleted the video from my Organizer and the Project and went back to the Get Media option and added the file, then confirmed it shows up under the Project area. I am currently re-running the analyzer and keeping my fingers crossed. I'll post again if anything changes.

Thanks for your reply, Steve. First time posting in the forums and I was afraid I would just get ignored.

Message was edited by: c07brian.kester

• 4. Re: Problem with PE9 Organize/Media Preview
                c07brian.kester Level 1

UPDATE: Problem fixed. Once I deleted the video clip from the organizer and the project and then re-imported the video file and ran auto-analyzer, everything worked correctly.

Unfortunately, I am not sure exactly what fixed it and I don't understand why running auto-analyzer did not fix it before, but I think it had something to do with the file being in some sort of weird limbo state within premiere elements.