23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 9:37 AM by SilenceKillsDesign

PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?

cwilson03 Level 1

Hi,

I'm using Premiere Pro CS6 on Windows...

PPro plays back audio full volume in the Source Monitor, regardless of Windows system volume levels, Audio Mixer panel settings, etc.  Those controls all work fine in setting the volume level for the main sequence itself, though. 

Any ideas on how to simply turn down the Source Monitor volume so it's not blaringly loud?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

There's no way to change this inside of PP, however the System Volume control works fine, as does the volume knob on your speakers. 

• 2. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
            SimonHy Level 2

You can set a keyboard shortcut for Audio Gain and then use that to set the level for each clip. Just load the clip into source and hit your shortcut. Although audio gain set this way will then carry over into your sequence.

• 3. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
              cwilson03 Level 1

@Jim Simon:  :-)  Yeah, well that was the problem... the system volume didn't have any effect.  Even when muting the system volume, the source monitor still played full-blare! 

But yes, the hardware speaker volume would work; I'm just surprised there wasn't a setting or control in PPro for it...

-Chris

• 4. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                cwilson03 Level 1

Thanks, SimonHy.  I'll give that a shot.

-Chris

• 5. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                  shooternz Level 6

What Audio Device is set for your Playback?

FWIW The System Audio Control and the Premiere Controls work on both my Source and Program (Timeline) Monitors

• 6. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                    cwilson03 Level 1

@shooternz:  It's set to my sound card - Asus Sonar DX.

-Chris

• 7. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                      shooternz Level 6

Seems normal enough but I dont understand why SOurce is playing out louder and uncontrollably and the Program is monitoring audio properly via the same soundcard.

Try a check to see if the audio drivers are current and maybe reinstall them anyway..

• 8. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Even when muting the system volume, the source monitor still played full-blare! 

Then you're probably not muting the actual System volume, but something else.  Assuming you're using computer audio here and not going out via third party hardware like AJA or Blackmagic, PP works via the audio driver, it doesn't provide it own separate audio subsystem for the computer.

• 9. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                          cwilson03 Level 1

I agree it's puzzling, and that PPro should simply be going through the audio driver and thus be subject to all the same volume controls. 

However, the Windows system volume icon shows muted, the Windows mixer control doesn't reflect any audio in its pseudo level indicator on the volume slider.  Even Asus' own system tray widget that installed with the sound card's drivers that allows me to adjust effects, spatial positioning, etc. doesn't reflect audio playing in its simulated graphic EQ display.  But the audio is playing, full blast, with the only available remedy to turn down the physical volume knob on my connected speakers.

No third-party hardware involved, other than a relatively cheap logitech speaker set connected to the sound card output.

All other sound-related apps on the computer - web browser, youtube, windows media player, etc.  all respond as expected to muting, volume adjustments, etc.  And, even in PPro, the main sequence's output window *does* respond to the volume adjustments/muting.  It's just the source monitor exhibiting the problem.

As a software developer (my real job -- video editing is a side thing), I fully understand the notion of device drivers, and as such am at a loss to explain this weird behavior.  That's why I figured there had to be some other special control specific to the Source Monitor panel in PPro; hence the post to this forum...

-Chris

• 10. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Can you post a screen shot of the system tray?

• 12. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Weird, man.

If you still have any audio playing from any source when muted like that, then I'd say it's time to consider a system or driver issue.

• 13. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                shooternz Level 6

Try temporarily disabling the Audio Driver in Device Manager.

• 14. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                  cwilson03 Level 1

In general, I agree.  Since PPro was the only app exhibiting the behavior, I was naively optimistic there was some special control for it inside the app.  Oh, well...

• 15. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                    cwilson03 Level 1

@shooternz:  You mean disable the Asus Sonar DX driver, and use the Premiere Pro WDM Sound device in PPro's Audio Hardware preferences instead?  If so, the only problem I would have then is it seems 5.1 surround doesn't play through that device (stereo/mono is fine, though).  I've had to use the Asus Sonar device in order to get 5.1 output.

-Chris

• 16. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Sound card, huh?

I wonder if you have two sound systems going, with two different drivers, one native to the mobo and one for the sound card.

• 17. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                        phipck Level 1

this is quite interesting, this is the only thread i have found after several hours of searching as i have the same issue.

I run the Asus xonar D1, i run with my system control set to 15 which for everything is a comfortable listening volume through my headphones.

i too have found that the system volume has no affect on the volume in premiere, muting has no effect either. i was startled and almost deafened when i popped on my headphones, imported a video and pressed the preview play button. Essentially its an absolute full volume while using Premiere, but when i switch to another application such as youtube all is as per my 15 volume.

i searched tirelessly to see if there were a way to equalise premieres volume to that of the rest of my system. This thread is my current only spark of hope.

the issue also means that there is no way knowing what the exported video volume will be as the preview could be at the upper limits of comfortable listening and the export will be almost inaudable.

• 18. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                          shooternz Level 6

So..a few things here..

First.... most systems, including mine, plays audio out from source monitor and  program monitor (timeline /sequence) at identical volume.   The VU meters show identical levels are playing and the speakers are playing identical volume ( to the ear)

What is your Default Audio Device in Premiere Audio Hardware Preferences?

Do you have any other choices in that preference menu? eg  Premiere WDM Sound

What happens if you play through speakers instead of headphones?

What are thre mixer meters telling you....and I assume they are at 0Db

Fact that you and the OP have same sound card and same issue  is some kind of clue that says its your hardware or how you have both set it up.

the issue also means that there is no way knowing what the exported video volume will be as the preview could be at the upper limits of comfortable listening and the export will be almost inaudable

Kind of wrong because you should be using the level meters to evaluate audio level

• 19. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Kind of wrong because you should be using the level meters to evaluate audio level

I've always been more of a "by the ear" person, usually just glancing at Levels, unless I get into the red. That practice came back to bite me recently however. I had always used the Bose QC "noise-canceling" headphones, and had standardized on that procedure. Always got just what I wanted and needed. One pair crumped, and Bose replaced them (not even still under warranty), and the new ones were about +6dB louder. Did a Project, and just grabbed one of my set, not noticing that I had chosen the newer, louder ones. Mixed the whole Project and burned the DVD. On my test play, I had to crank up the Gain on the amp. Not normal. I though about my workflow, and then checked - I had the new headphones on, so messed things up. My bad. Should have done, as you say, and paid much more attention to the Levels. Lesson learned (but I had standardized on a system, that had worked perfectly for years). I had to remix the Project, with my old Bose headphones, and all was, as it should have been.

You make a good point, and one that I will take more to heart next time (plus will make danged sure that I have my "standard" headphones).

I also agree that the situation does point to a fault in the common hardware.

Hunt

• 20. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                              cwilson03 Level 1

Just to chime back in for the sake of @phipck, I never was able to solve the problem.  I finally just worked around it by plugging my headphones into my external (amplified) speakers, then just adjusted the volume using the speakers' volume control.  I agree with @shooternz - it's likely a problem with the sound card hardware or (more likely) the Asus Xonar drivers.

As an aside, a related problem I encountered at the same time (and can still replicate) is if I run PPro CS6 and AE CS6 simultaneously and then alt-tab to switch between them, full-blast pink noise static is output from the sound card.  Again, this is regardless of the system volume setting (and regardless of whether I'm actually trying to actually play back any video/audio).  To fix this problem I have to exit PPro and AE and just run one at a time.

-Chris

• 21. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                                phipck Level 1

Thank you for your contributions, untill i can resolve the absolute volume issue i have no way of monitoring cuts and edits of the audio.  As you can imagine this is more of a hardware/setup issue than a workflow problem. I understand fully what you said about using the level meters to evaluate audio level, however as the in program volume is beyond my threshold to cope with i would essentialy be editing audio deaf as i cannot bare anything above -25db on the vu at the current uncontrolable volume.

I am not at home right now so cannot confirm what settings are being used however the additional comments made since my post last night have aided research a little and it is possible that it is linked to this xonar cards ASIO handling. This essentially bypasses any OS audio handling, which in turn explains why volume and muting in the system volume tray has no effect in Premiere. The down side being the output is maxed out and painfully loud from what would normally be comfortable volume.

i will be trialling several drivers this evening for my sound card to see if anything changes and also seeing if ASIO can be disabled or an alternative process used instead. Not using ASIO in theory could introduce some lag but for my use i doubt this would be a problem.

• 22. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                                  phipck Level 1

As an update, I have solved the issue.

ASIO as used by the Asus cards is incompatable with Premiere. Im not sure who is to blame but with ASIO selected in the audio hardware settings, Premiere blasts out at full volume without any volume control on the computer.

To resolve the situation you can use Premieres in build audio default (which is a minor frustration as the Asus cards are great at what they do when not blasting full volume) or uninstall the ASIO feature from your system to prevent any programs automatically using it. But this may be a problem for people in the audio industry who may wish to make use of the ASIO's low latancy features.

I hope this helps others, as now i have a managable volume to monitor what is happening while editing.

cheers for the help people

phip

• 23. Re: PPro CS6:  How to adjust volume level in Source Monitor?
                                                    SilenceKillsDesign Level 1

To do this without adjusting your system settings, open the Audio Clip Mixer (window>audio clip mixer or shift+F9) and click the mute button. Make sure that the audio clip you are muting is the clip that is in the source monitor and not footage on the timeline. Now you can edit your clips in peace without having to toggle the system volume control.

ACM muted.JPG

*NOTE: if you are going to require audio from the selected clip, be sure to unmute the clip when insterting into the timeline.

Hope this helps!