15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 8:56 AM by JMJarrige

Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install

Murcuseo1

I recently had to re-install Windows 7 after my system started to struggle. I backed up all the relevent files to an external hard drive before the re-install. System and PRE relevent.

I have been working on a large project for the last 9 months, with many many hours plowed in to it and need to get it finished, but currently Premiere Elements 8 gets stucked trying to load the user interface.

I also had a system memory warning appear after re-install, if this is of any relevance.

Edit: Apologies. I forgot to mention that it opens new projects just fine. The trouble is only with my old projects.

My system spec is:

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R MB

i7 920 @2.6GHz CPU

Radeon 5870 GPU

12GB Corsair Vengenace RAM

Corsair Modular 850 PSU

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be appreciated. I will lose months of work if I can't get it running again.

Cheers

Graeme

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Did you reinstall Premiere Elements 8 rather than depending on some backup copy of our hard drive?

You may also want to try the free trial of version 11, an improvement of the program in a number of ways -- and one that was designed to run on Windows 7 and take full advantage of its advanced architecture.

Also, do make sure that, after you've reinstalled your operating system, you also reinstall the latest version of Quicktime from Apple, per the program's requirements.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
            the_wine_snob Level 9

In addition to Steve's suggestions, I would also download and install the very latest video driver from the mfgr's. Web site. While you are at it, check to see if there is an updated audio driver too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
              Murcuseo1 Level 1

Indeed. It was a fresh install.

Will my current projects be compatible with a later version of the software?

I'm not fimiliar with the workings of such things.

Edit: I tried installing PRE 11 and running my project but it doesn't recognise my AVI files, so that isn't going to work.

Can either of you give me advice on exactly what I need to transfer from my back-up to get it running properly again?

I may have done something run or missed something.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                Murcuseo1 Level 1

Current state.

I've tried everything suggested. I've redownloaded the software twice using a download manager and installed both times with a fresh install.

I've tried installing purely from my external copy from a back-up as well.

No success. I still run in to the same problem.

My project will load fully, then I get the warning about PRE running slow of my system. The user interface loading stalls and nothing happens.

Even in new projects once everything has loaded I can not interact with the interface or load up any media.

Once again, I'd be grateful of any help as I would rather not lose 9 mopnths worth of work purely because I can't reinstall the software.

In fact, I'll be furious.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                  JMJarrige Level 2

I think these video editing softwares (Prel, Vegas or others) are using physical adresses of the clips

on the hard disks. Mainly because they can't, when editing, spend time to go down the trees of

your files organization specially when rendering. And I think some preview or pre-render files

have the same situation, which may cause problems at re-install.

In my case, I had to switch from Vista to Win7 because my Vista laptop had a motherboard problem.

I re-installed the software Version 9 after having called Adobe support to allow the process (because of control of install numbers), and it worked well, but  I don't try to re-open previous projects, even copied from back-up.

Bonne chance

JM

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct. The Assets remain on the HDD, or SSD, and are linked via Absolute Paths. The Assets (media files) are NOT included in the PREL (the Project file in PrE).

This article goes into more detail on PREL (and PRPROJ - the Project files for PrPro) files: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3397716#3397716

For more discussion on the Absolute Paths, see this article on "Media Offline:" http://forums.adobe.com/message/3561281#3561281

And, also this article on "Where is file ____ ?:" http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                      Murcuseo1 Level 1

So basically, I'm out of luck.

Well, that's just fantastic. I don't have the time to research this fully, seeing as it is such an apparently complicated issue.

I've managed to waste over 100+ hours editing and 9 months of hard work purely because my software can't reinstall properly.

What a farce.

I doubt I'll ever go near another adobe product again unless I have no other choice.

I can't express how furious I am at the moment...

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Once the reinstallation issue has been solved, if you still have the media - the Assets - you can just link to those. See that "Where is file ___?" article for some tips, and info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                          Murcuseo1 Level 1

I'm fimiliar with locating files so that wouldn't be a problem.

How exactly would you suggest I go about solving the reinstallation problem?

Considering I've spent the entire weekend trying to do exactly that. I don't have time to sit on phonelines for hours upon hours talking to tech support or troll through any more forums or help sections than I already have.

I'm at a loss, both for time and words.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Two articles, that might be helpful are:

Installation for Adobe programs, a general checklist: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4063309#4063309

PrE Crashing, or Hanging: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                              Murcuseo1 Level 1

Many thanks for all the suggestions and apologies if I seemed a little ill tempered.

I was extremely frustrated by the whole situation as was trying hard not to lash out.

I  was on the phone tech support for an hour and they couldn't solve my issue. They said they would phone back, but never did.

At the end of it all I decided to invest in a new SSD and secondary HDD which has solved all my problems.

A new Windows 7 install on the SSD and everything worked great. I had no problems loading my old projects.

The problem I currently have is that after installing so many times and not deactivating previous installed versions I have been left

with only 30 days on the software to buy another serial number. Apparently the limit is two separate installs per serial number.

Do you think if I phoned and explained to them the situation they would reactivate it for me, or will I have to buy the code again?

Cheers

Graeme

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Graeme,

Unfortunately here, most of us have never had installation problems, so all that we have to work with are tid-bits, that we have picked up from others' problems, and what has worked for them.

As for getting to the bottom of installation issues, the T/S route is about as good, as it gets, though many still complain that Adobe T/S needs a lot of work. Fortunately, and again, most of us here have never had to use it - my last experience was over a decade ago, and was actually with Customer Support (C/S) for a S/N issue that I had with an early version of Adobe Illustrator. That issue was handled in about 5 mins., including my "hold time." Quick, and very efficient, but it was long, long ago, and I read that things have gone downhill much more recently.

In the Adobe Premiere Pro Forums, the "wisdom," is to uninstall, then run the Adobe Creative Suite Cleaning Tool several times, rebooting between each run, then re-installing. As PrE is not part of the Creative Suite, I am not sure how that advice might, or might not, impact things.

Wish that I had more to offer, and only hope that others have made more notes from other threads, that might prove helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                                  JMJarrige Level 2

Glad to see you have solved your problem.

When I had to re-install PREL9 on my second PC after the previous had crashed, last september,

I feared to fall in this control of install, as I was unable to uninstall the software on the crashed machine.

So I contacted Adobe support ( from France) by chat, and my correspondant was able to allow my re-install

process. I gave my S/N from the software CD box I bought in 2011.

I don't remember exactly how I activated this chat function, on adobe site support function I think.

But it worked well, and the day after I had to re-use the same process for Photoshop re-install,

it worked the same.

Bonne chance.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                                    Murcuseo1 Level 1

Merci mille fois.

Unfortunately only the most current version of the Elements product line is covered by chat support.

I have to pay for phone support, but considering how much money I've already invested in solving this issue 10p a minute isn't much.

Unless they have me on hold for an hour.

Cheers

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 8 not loading projects after Windows 7 re-install
                                      JMJarrige Level 2

Version 8 is not so far from my version 9 I re-installed one month ago, and I don't remember if the support engineer

(from India I think) asked for release number or wanted only my products S/N to help me.

It is not a good commercial position from Adobe to tell you to phone for support. From France, chat is easier to use because of

time differences between continents.

The limit of 2 separate installs allows to have the software installed on 2 machines (a desktop iMac and a laptop PC in my case),

which is very usefull for video editing when traveling.

As I see you have invested in SSD disks, I guess the phone call is not the most expensive, if you use IP telephony.

Good luck.

JM,  France.