5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2012 9:07 PM by trwalp

How do I reposition an imported animated gif in all states at once?

trwalp

I create a new document in Fireworks CS6.

I import an existing animated gif (an AVI video converted in Photoshop CS6 to gif).  It's dimensions are smaller than the document size, so to me it's just an object like text or any other element.

I add some text to the document.

I add a small png image to the document.

(Here's where my lack of understanding Fireworks comes in...)

1. If I reposition the animated gif object this change happens only on the state (frame)  I'm in. I want my repositioning to be reflected in all states, not just the single frame.. err, STATE.

2. The text and the png I added are also only on that single state and I want them to be present for all frames of the original animated gif.

This seems so rudimentary but I cannot find a tutorial or text description on how do accomplish these basic steps.

Below is a png of what the final image should look like.  The larger screen capture in the middle is the animated gif.

Broadcast-preset-reminder.png

• 1. Re: How do I reposition an imported animated gif in all states at once?
          groove25 Level 4

To reposition all the elements of your animated GIF at once, go to the States panel at the bottom left and choose 'Show All States' (also check that Multi-State Editing is enabled). From there, you can use the Pointer tool to select the items on the canvas that want to move.

To share a layer across all states (like your text and png elements), go the state in which the objects are currently present, select the corresponding layer and choose 'Share Layer to States' from the Layers panel fly-out menu or contextual menu.

• 2. Re: How do I reposition an imported animated gif in all states at once?
            trwalp Level 1

Thank you Groove! Almost there.  The "share layer to states" solved my need to replicate these static elements to all the states.

But moving the animated gif object with "Show all States" and "Multi-State Editing" isn't working. I'm on State 1, I see the vertical "connecting" line down the onion skinning column in the states tab, both items you refer to are checked, and then using the Pointer Tool (V,0) I hover the cursor over the animated gif. Red dots appear in its 4 corners. I click and drag it upwards.  As I drag upwards I see another state of the animation (and it's not the next frame, but one that's several frames later for some reason) behind and below the one I moved.  After completing the move I play the animation and only the first frame... er, state.. shows the repositioned gif.

• 3. Re: How do I reposition an imported animated gif in all states at once?
              trwalp Level 1

I should add the following.

To try again I create a new document and simply import the animated gif.  It's 38 states long. Before adding any other elements I enable "Show all states" and move the element downwards on the page. It moves. No problem. The loop plays in the new position.

But, I don't really know where I want to position the gif until I add the other elements.

So I disable "show all states", select State 1, select Layer 1 in Layers, and add the text and a png to layer 1. As expected, these additions appear only on state 1.

I then enable "Show all states" ("multi-state editing is still enabled"), select the layer for the animated gif, and again click on the animated gif and move it. This time I see the ghost image of a later frame below and behind it.  When I play the loop the new position occurs only on frame 1 - otherwise, it's in the lower position in all other states.

Is this is a bug in Fireworks CS6? I can move an object "globally" when no other objects are on the page but once I add some to state 1, moving an object in all states at once doesn't work. 

During one iterration of this test the move occured in all frames but number 24! (what!?) Seriously, basically the same steps, I don't recall ever even going to state 24. But when I played the animation everything was in proper position except for 24.

• 4. Re: How do I reposition an imported animated gif in all states at once?
                groove25 Level 4

When you hover over the animated gif and then click, you're likely just selecting a single object that's shared across all states, or an object in the currently selected state. An animation can contain multiple layers and objects within each state, so you need to select all those elements in all the states. To do this, try clicking and dragging across the entire animated graphic—the same technique you might use to select multiple overlapping objects on the canvas.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do I reposition an imported animated gif in all states at once?
                  trwalp Level 1

Perfect, groove25.  Thank you very much.