9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2012 9:56 AM by kenbrody

PE11 - Best way to import multiple DVDs

kenbrody Level 1

Over the years, I have built a collection of home-made DVDs.  I would like to start creating DVDs based on collections of clips from multiple DVDs, and I would like to know the "best" way of importing the collection into PE11.  (Disk space is not an issue -- yet -- as I have a new 3TB drive for storage.)

Do I need to use PE11 or Organizer to "import" each DVD first, and tell it to copy it onto my hard drive?  Can I simply copy the DVD contents onto my hard drive, each DVD in a separate directory off a "main" directory, and then import the entire DVD collection?

Finally, once everything is on my HD, am I correct that I can then create multiple projects, each using clips from multiple DVDs, and perhaps use the same clip on multiple projects?

• 1. Re: PE11 - Best way to import multiple DVDs
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The smartest way to do it would be to put each DVD in your DVD drive use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Computer DVD tool to rip the video from each disc (rather than the Organizer).

Then, if you really want to make your life easier, put the video from each disc on your project timeline and use Publish & Share/Computer/AVI to output each project as a DV-AVI file -- and these you can  use for your source video in your future video projects.

DV-AVIs are the ideal standard definition format for video, and provide the best possible results most efficiently in the program.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE11 - Best way to import multiple DVDs
            kenbrody Level 1

Ah, I missed that option, since I don't have an AVCHD camera, and didn't realize that it could also import the DVD drive itself.  I'll have to give that a try later, when I can get to the DVDs.

I see a little "preview" window.  Does that mean that it will take an hour to import a 1-hour DVD?

Finally, for the DV-AVI conversion, I assume you mean to take each DVD separately, rather than import all of them into one huge project?

Thank you for the pointers.

• 3. Re: PE11 - Best way to import multiple DVDs
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

"Finally, for the DV-AVI conversion, I assume you mean to take each DVD separately, rather than import all of them into one huge project?"

Yes.

And be sure to allow time for the program to fully conform each DVD's video files after you rip them from the disc. You can watch the progress in the lower right of the program's interface.

• 4. Re: PE11 - Best way to import multiple DVDs
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Also remember that if you are working from the DVD disc, itself, when you Import the VOB's, into a Project, the physical media will NOT be in the Project, but still on the disc in the multi-drive.

Stepping back a bit, each DVD disc will have a VIDEO_TS folder (with that exact name), and inside that VIDEO_TS folder will be the VOB files, which contain the MPEG-2 DVD AV files, which can span several VOB's, plus any Menus, and navigation - Only the VOB's, containing those MPEG-2 DVD files will Import). Personally, I would just Copy over the various VIDEO_TS folders, and their contents, to the computer's HDD. I would set up a structure, based on the DVD's name, or assign names, even as simply as "DVD-01," "DVD-02," etc., since one cannot have all of the VIDEO_TS folder in the same location on the HDD - they all have the same name, but if you create a separate folder for each DVD, then the VIDEO_TS folders CAN be Copied over just fine. This means that you do not need each DVD in the multi-drive, to edit. The necessary AV files, the VOB's, will be on the HDD, so that PrE can have easy access to them.

For more info on what is inside a PREL (Project) file, plus some useful tips on Saving, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3397716#3397716

For a bit more background on DVD-Videos, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2977189#2977189

For more info on Conforming and Indexing files on Import (Steve's caveat), see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3892177#3892177

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - the above assumes that you have DVD-Video discs, and not DVD-Data discs. The latter would just have AV files, and those would not be wrapped in the VOB container.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE11 - Best way to import multiple DVDs
                  kenbrody Level 1

Thank you both for all the help so far.  While I've been making home movies since VHS, I've never done any editing beyond making copies.  I'm trying a few DVDs as a "test run", to make sure I understand things, before I end up with dozens of DVDs that should have been handled differently.

I see that the import copied only the .VOB files, ending up with the exact same size, so I assume all it did was copy/rename the original.  The DVD itself also contains ".BUP" and ".IFO" files, which did not copy/import.  Where can I find out what's in those files, and does PE11 use those for anything?

Is there any advantage of using PE11's "add media" function over simply making separate directories and manually copying things over?

(If these questions are answered in the articles that Bill Hunt linked to, then there's no need to answer here.  I haven't read them -- yet.)

P.S.  I know that, once imported, I will not be using the DVDs themselves, but the imported copies.  Given the number of DVDs, that's why I'm doing the import before playing with anything else.

P.P.S.  Whatever happened to the days when manuals were included?  (I'd even take the printed manual, though on-disk PDFs have plenty of advantages.)  I tried playing with PE11 while at my daughter's karate class, but the open WiFi is gone, so I couldn't access any of the help or tutorial videos.

• 6. Re: PE11 - Best way to import multiple DVDs
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

see that the import copied only the .VOB files, ending up with the exact same size, so I assume all it did was copy/rename the original.  The DVD itself also contains ".BUP" and ".IFO" files, which did not copy/import.  Where can I find out what's in those files, and does PE11 use those for anything?

Those BUP (Backup) and IFO (Information) files are used by a DVD player (either software, or hardware), to play the DVD-Videos. They contain no useful data, when Importing from the DVD-Video into PrE, and are ignored. The VOB's contain the MPEG-2 (format for DVD-Video) files, and those are what get Imported, and used in PrE. The first VOB might also contain Menu info, plus navigational info, but PrE will not work with that data. There are programs, like ReJig, that can extract any navigational data, but that would be for altering the full DVD-Video, and could be reused by certain authoring programs, just not directly by PrE. The VOB's are what you want, to re-edit the MPEG-2's inside of them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE11 - Best way to import multiple DVDs
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

P.S.  I know that, once imported, I will not be using the DVDs themselves, but the imported copies.  Given the number of DVDs, that's why I'm doing the import before playing with anything else.

Well, partially. Upon Import, the actual Media Files are NOT Copied to either the program's Project, or to the computer. They are ONLY linked from where they resided, upon Import. It is those links, that PrE will use. That is why I recommended doing the Copy of the VIDEO_TS folder (easier, than breaking out the VOB's IMO) to the computer, and into root folders, that reflect which DVD-Video they came from.

As PrE only uses the links, if they point to the actual DVD-Video disk, that disk must be accessible - i.e. in the multi-drive. If you have Imported from several DVD-Video disks, into one Project, then you would need to have every DVD-Video disk in the computer, and with the same drive letter for each. Besides the linking issue, PrE will be much quicker, if the Media Files are on the computer, than if they are still on the DVD-Video disks, in the multi-drive - a physical HDD is much quicker, than accessing data from a multi-drive, off of a DVD-Video.

Though I have multiple multi-drives in my workstation, I still Copy over all data from a DVD-Video, and work from the physical HDD's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE11 - Best way to import multiple DVDs
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

P.P.S.  Whatever happened to the days when manuals were included?  (I'd even take the printed manual, though on-disk PDFs have plenty of advantages.)  I tried playing with PE11 while at my daughter's karate class, but the open WiFi is gone, so I couldn't access any of the help or tutorial videos.

I agree with you. Being a "book-person," I loved my manuals, and miss them dramatically. However, we are so very fortunate that our MOD, Steve Grisetti, has written a series of books, and done a series of Learning Series, available from Muvipix.com. For some links to learning resources, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3953827#3953827

With the introduction of PrE 11, I see that I need to update a few links in that article, and when I get back into town, will add direct links to some of Steve's most recent books and articles. Still, you should be able to find the newer PrE 11 material from those links, plus a lot of the general editing techniques and functions will translate directly to the newer version of the program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE11 - Best way to import multiple DVDs
                          kenbrody Level 1

Actually, using Steve Grisetti's advice of "Add Media/From Computer DVD", PE11 does, in fact, copy the VOB files to the hard drive.  (It even preserved the datestamps of the files.)