7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 4:49 PM by Jim_Simon

Search Results in Effects Panel

DerikSavage Level 1

When I search for an effect using the search box in the Effects Panel (CS6), not only do I get the search results, but I also get every root-level folder in the effects panel along with them (Presets, Audio Effects, Audio Transitions, etc).  Rather, they don't go away like I would expect them to.

This seems like a huge waste of space when all I'm looking for is the effect.  Ever try searching for the Fast Color Corrector by typing in "fast"?  Way too many results that have nothing to do with what you're looking for.

Is there a way to fix this without having to wait for an update from Adobe?

• 1. Re: Search Results in Effects Panel
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

There isn't a way that I know of.

However, I really am not at all sure what the problem is. If I type in "fast" the only things I can't see in the effects panel are some custom bins. And if I reset the editing workspace to the default, I see everything.

If I do the same with "color" and don't type anything else, the I can see your point. But if I type "color cor" for example, I get a subset that fits.

If you feel strongly about this, I suggest you put in a feature request.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: Search Results in Effects Panel
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Way too many results that have nothing to do with what you're looking for.

You get every effect that has the search string in it's name.  How is that too many?  How is PP supposed to know which one of the effects with 'fast' in its name you want, so it will only show you that one and not the others?

• 3. Re: Search Results in Effects Panel
              DerikSavage Level 1

The effects themselves are fine.  It's the full file tree that gets in the way.  I'd love to see the results listed as:

• fast blur in
              • fast blur out
              • fast blur
              • fast color corrector

Instead, it's something like:

• Presets
                • Blurs
                  • fast blur in
                  • fast blur out
              • Audio Effects
              • Audio Transitions
              • Video Effects
                • Blur and Sharpen
                  • fast blur
                • Color Correction
                  • fast color corrector
              • Video Transitions
              • 4. Re: Search Results in Effects Panel
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Well, I can see your point but I would want to see the names of the parent folders, and that it is a video or audio effect.

I suppose they could leave out the names of the parent folders that have no effects that match. Put in a feature request. I doubt it would ever make the top 10 list, but you can try.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 5. Re: Search Results in Effects Panel
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The folders are there so you know which effect you're grabbing.

For example, with versions previous to CS6, there were three different audio effects named identically, one for mono clips, one for stereo clips, one for 5.1 clips.  You needed to apply the correct effect to the clip.  Without the folders, you'd have no idea which was the correct effect and you'd instead be screaming why doesn't Adobe tell you which version each effect is.  Having a modified version of an effect in the Presets bin is another example of two effects named identically.

The way it works now is better.

• 6. Re: Search Results in Effects Panel
                    DerikSavage Level 1

CS6 doesn't have this issue with audio effects.  It might have made sense for that reason in previous versions, but now it's just using up space and cluttering the panel. 

Obviously, Adobe is interested in screen real-estate since they redesigned the program and source monitors to maximize the space available for content.  I see this as being another step in that same direction of a more simplified, get-stuff-out-of-the-way approach to the overall design.

I know it's not a major issue, and there's probably no way for me to change it.  But maybe Adobe will take this into consideration for their next redesign of Premiere's UI.

• 7. Re: Search Results in Effects Panel
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      CS6 doesn't have this issue with audio effects.

Maybe not, but it still applies to effects saved in the Presets folder.  You can have two identically named effects, so it's a good thing to keep the folders there.

It also helps the user to locate where an effect is for future reference.