3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 12:13 PM by MichelBParis

Organizer defect creates and leaves temporary files in the open directory.

Bill Junk Level 1

I'm using Photoshop Elements 11 Organizer and Adobe Bridge CS6 concurrently.  If I have Bridge open to the same folder as PSE Organizer and I do an "Add captions ..." operation to a group of files selected in the Organizer, then there is a very good chance that PSE Organizer will rename one or more files to OriginalFileName_edTMP-1.extension and leave the renamed file in the directory rather than completing the update and returning the file(s) to their original name.  In most cases my original files are Nikon .nef files with .xmp sidecar files, but I've also seen this happen with .psd files.  The .nef files are generally large, averaging 35 Mb per .nef image and the .psd files are usually over 100 Mb.  If PSE Organizer and Bridge are open to different folders then Organizer does not leave the renamed file.  Thus I would suggest that there may be a logical threading error in PSE Organizer where it does not consider that another application may be monitoring the folder and also opening the files, which is what Bridge does when it discovers that a file has changed (the addition of a caption changes the file contents.)  This was also a defect in PSE Organizer 10.

• 1. Re: Organizer defect creates and leaves temporary files in the open directory.
          MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are two kinds of organizing tools : the browsers (bridge, zoombrowser, ACDSee, even the Windows explorer) and the database organizers (Organizer, Lightroom, iPhoto...). The second category does not rely on writing tags and info in the metadata section of media files, it keeps separate records (lists) of the properties and location of the media files. Just imagine you are keeping such information, for instance tags and ratings in an Excel file. Then someone in your family wants to do the same. What happens if one of you moves, deletes, rename or adds comments in the list ? The other won't know and its own list will be wrong. So what you are trying to do does not show a defect, it shows the founding principle of database tools like organizer or Lightroom.

Not only it is impossible to work with both kinds at the same time, but it not possible to work with two different 'catalogs' from the same Organizer or Lightroom at the same time. That is well known of iPhoto users for Macs. You have to choose, and if you want several catalogs, that's ok only if you are dealing with completely different media files.

It is good to know that the information you are writing in your database is rarely automatically written to the files themselves. You have to tell your Organizer to do so.

There is another tool in the Organizer besides the database : the watched folder service. It's an external 'slave' tool running in the background to analyze the content of your folders and warn you that media files are added and you can choose to add those files in the catalog or not.

The bottom line is that you can't have bridge and the organizer at the same time. Even if you work with them at different times without moving, deleting or renaming, the information you add in Bridge will be ignored by the Organizer and vice versa.

• 2. Re: Organizer defect creates and leaves temporary files in the open directory.
            Bill Junk Level 1

I believe you missed the point.  And just for the record I have 40+ years of software engineering experience and do know something about data bases and application programming.  There is a defect in the Photoshop Elements Organizer and I suspect that one of the developers forgot to check a return code from an operation.  I also suspect that what happens is that the Organizer temporarily renames the file it wants to update, makes the update, and then intends or tries to rename it back to the original name.   But with Bridge running in the background and watching to see if there are any changes in the folder, Bridge sees the new file name and makes the file (or possibly the directory) temporarily unavailable to the Organizer as Bridge updates its information and the window display.  If the timing of the operations is just right, the Organizer can't access what it needs to and probably gets a failed return code from the rename operation.  If my supposition is correct, the code doesn't check this return code after the rename operation and just assumes that it took place.  The problem is clearly related to timing (race condition) and is more likely to occur on large files, such as 100+ MB Photoshop files.  Just for the record, I am not actually working with both Organizer and Bridge at the same time.  Bridge is running in the background.  I've learned to avoid the problem by pointing Bridge to a different folder when I do an update in Organizer.  I also realize that information that I might add in Bridge does not show up in the Organizer Catalog, but fortunately Bridge is smart enough to extract tags and titles that I've added with the Organizer once Organizer has written them to the files. The problem that I'm reporting is not an issue about what a user should or can do, it's about safe programming practices.  Adobe will decide if they want to fix it or not.

• 3. Re: Organizer defect creates and leaves temporary files in the open directory.
              MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Of course, I missed the point. I missed it... until you explained it in your second post

Bill Junk wrote:

The problem that I'm reporting is not an issue about what a user should or can do, it's about safe programming practices.  Adobe will decide if they want to fix it or not.

I am not Adobe. I am not sure either that the persons concerned at Adobe will even read your remarks and requirements.

Considering the profiles of the majority of users in this forum, I think I have nothing to change or remove from my prior post. Now, if you can get answers from Adobe, I'll be very interested.