6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2012 2:03 PM by conroy

Possible to do 'auto-tone' manually?

TheWildCoast

I'm going to try and put an example as part of my question because I'm not sure how to explain it otherwise.

While editing two very similar photos and using the CS6 auto-tone command, one of the photos photoshop was able to truly fix up while the other barely changed. Here is the example:

Photo A was very blue and dark; the auto-tone command magically fixed it up to have nice color variation in the rock and made it brighter. Here is the before/after:

photo 1.PNG

On the other hand, photo B didn't work out the same way; the auto-tone command barely did anything, even though I thought both photos looked to have very similar problems (blue, dark, etc). Here is it before/after:

Photo B.PNG

Here are the links to the full original photo A and photo B in case they are useful...

Now, what I'm trying to figure out, is how can I achieve on photo B the same effect that auto-tone did for photo A! Is there any way to find out what adjustments auto-tone made? Any advice on how I can do this fix-up manually?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Possible to do 'auto-tone' manually?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Well, there seems to be white in the sky in the second image, so the auto correction factors that in.

Check out »Adjust black and white points with the Auto option« in the Help on how to get the effect with a Curves Layer.

Then make a rough Selection that exludes the sky and create a Curves Layer with the appropriate settings, but afterwards turn off or delete the Layer Mask.

• 3. Re: Possible to do 'auto-tone' manually?
            conroy Level 5

Use a Curves (or Levels) Adjustment Layer, not a destructive Adjustment command, to do the auto-correction while Photo A is visible. Then when Photo B is visible under the same Curves layer, it will be adjusted in the same way as Photo A was. You can save an adjustment as a custom preset, too, for later use.

To access the Auto controls of the Curves layer, Opt/Alt-click its Auto button in Properties panel. In this case, pick "Enhance Per Channel Contrast".

Screen-shot-2012-11-04-at-12.27.57.png

Screen-shot-2012-11-04-at-12.28.08.png

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Possible to do 'auto-tone' manually?
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Doing the correction non-destructively for all images, as conroy recommends, would naturally be preferable.

• 5. Re: Possible to do 'auto-tone' manually?
                TheWildCoast Level 1

Thank you very much for the help!

I found the settings you describe and was able to create a curves layer and do the adjustment on photo A. However, when I open photo B (in a new photoshop tab) and follow the same steps, it remains dark and blue, just like my previous attempts. I notice in your screenshots that you have both photo A and photo B open in the same photoshop tab - how do I do that?

The issue is that I actually have about 15 of these photos I'd like to fix up which have the same blue issue, and only one of them (photo A) seems to turn out nicely with photoshop - I'd like to be able to apply this fix to the others, perhaps with the ability to do some small adjustments depending on how it applies to each of the photos. I guess ultimately I'm trying to understand the workflow. You mentioned I could save the curves layer as a custom present for later use - how do I do that? Would that be my workflow then?

• 6. Re: Possible to do 'auto-tone' manually?
                  conroy Level 5

TheWildCoast wrote:

Thank you very much for the help!

I found the settings you describe and was able to create a curves layer and do the adjustment on photo A. However, when I open photo B (in a new photoshop tab) and follow the same steps, it remains dark and blue, just like my previous attempts.

Yes, that's to be expected, and you were not supposed to repeat the auto-adjusting steps for Photo B. You should set up the adjustment with Photo A only, then use the adjustment with Photo B.

I notice in your screenshots that you have both photo A and photo B open in the same photoshop tab - how do I do that?

After opening Photo A, I dragged Photo B from the desktop and into the same document window. There's also a command to open multiple images into a stack in one document: File > Scripts > Load Files Into Stack.

I temporarily hid Photo B by clicking the eye to the left of its thumbnail in Layers panel, added the Curves layer to the top of the stack, made the auto adjustment, then clicked the eye again to reveal Photo B.

The issue is that I actually have about 15 of these photos I'd like to fix up which have the same blue issue, and only one of them (photo A) seems to turn out nicely with photoshop - I'd like to be able to apply this fix to the others, perhaps with the ability to do some small adjustments depending on how it applies to each of the photos. I guess ultimately I'm trying to understand the workflow. You mentioned I could save the curves layer as a custom present for later use - how do I do that? Would that be my workflow then?

Make the basic auto-adjusted Curves layer with Photo A. In top-right of Properties panel for the Curves layer, click the button with a triangle, pick Save Curves Preset and give it a meaningful name. The preset will then be available in the Presets menu of a Curves layer (or Curves command) in any document.

When you use the Curves layer in a document, pick the custom preset then make further tweaks to the controls as required, or add further adjustment layers to the stack.

I recommend you work in 16-bit mode (menu Image > Mode > 16-bit) to reduce the possible introduction of posterization and banding. Your final output can be in 8-bit mode, as usual.