6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 3:36 PM by the_wine_snob

scaling questions

davidorthfurniture

Hi, I'm pretty new to Premiere Elements, but have been using Photoshop for years.  I'm dragging along assumptions from Photoshop that somehow I'll be wildly free to scale as long the information is there to work with.  I'm finding that's not the case, so I'm humbly trying to understand what is possible without giving up my dreams too quickly.

Here's one of my issues.  I'm working with 2G of ram for the time being. Rendering and sharing seem to go better if I keep my resolutions on the low side - ok for the project I'm working on.  For now, I'm just trying to end up with a medium res DV of 720 x 480.  I've started a project and forced the settings.  Much of my media will be high res Photoshop images.  I'm having a blast panning and zooming and overlapping clips - on my way to what a friend calls the "Ken Burns effect" - nice way to work with stills.  It works well and exports nicely as a Flash file.

But now I'd like to bring in some video taken in a HDV high res format.  I have brought it in through "interprete footage/square pixels" and I have the scale "set to frame size".  But is there any proceedure I might use to get my aspect ratio back and either crop it or have some black bars on the side - I'd prefer the cropping to the bars usually.  What am I missing here?  I've read several places that my media settings HAVE to match my project settings.  But then I've made some headway with the "interprete" and "scale to frame size".  So I'm wondering if there are work arounds or perfect solutions.

I looked for an existing discussion, but didn't see one.  Sorry if I've asked question answered somewhere else - just point me to it.  Also, I'm using PrE11 and Windows7.

David Orth

• 1. Re: scaling questions
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Before you have crashes with large pictures, read...

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 2. Re: scaling questions
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the high-rez Video, used in an SD DVD Project, I would do this in steps. Create a New Project, that matches your Source Footage. Import that footage, and edit, as is needed. Then, Export/Share/Publish that Project's Timeline to DV-AVI Widescreen. Import that output footage into your DVD Project, and locate it, where needed on your Timeline.

Do take a look at the links that John T. provided, and especially for the Still Images. I would do their Scaling in PS/PSE, before Importing them into a PrE Project. Scale them to just what you need, so that PrE, and your computer, do not struggle with unused pixels. That will speed things up, and also keep the quality as high, as is possible. PrE can Scale, but not as well, as PS/PSE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: scaling questions
              davidorthfurniture Level 1

Thanks for the warnings about oversized photos!  My project is small (5mins)

and so maybe I'll get away with some pan/zooming for now, but I will keep

everything to minimum as suggested.

Thanks, Bill Hunt, for the suggestion about bringing in hi-res footage.

Steps are good.  Where do I take it from widescreen (that's the 16:9,

right?) to 4:3?  And how do I control how it does it?  I haven't tried it

yet, so maybe that'll answer my question.

David

Orth Furniture & Sculpture

20817 Bunker Hill Rd

Marengo, IL 60152

studio: 815-943-4099

cell: 708-288-5199

fax: 360-937-6485

website: www.OrthFurniture.com <http://www.orthfurniture.com/

• 4. Re: scaling questions
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of the Source Footage will dictate whether you have Widescreen 16:9 (PAR = 1.2 for NTSC), or Standard 4:3 (PAR = 0.9 for NTSC).

Now, one could use Interpret Footage to "force" PrE to see the footage as something, that it is not, say 4:3. However, there is a big caveat: Interpret Footage is used when Premiere misses the correct flag for the PAR, and if used to "convert" the footage, it will likely looked either "squeezed," if it's really 16:9 and is forced to go to 4:3, or "stretched," if it's 4:3, and is forced to go to 16:9. That is likely not going to look good, or correct.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: scaling questions
                  davidorthfurniture Level 1

Bill, thanks.  I officially give up thinking this is Photoshop.  I will

import footage to match the project settings!

Out of curiosity would Premiere Pro do this kind of clipping or cropping -

to go from 16:9 to 4:3, for instance?  Or is this just not anything on the

horizon in this industry?  I do note that I'm always renting movies that can

be watched in 16:9 or 4:3.  Somebody's clipping that with something.

David

Orth Furniture & Sculpture

20817 Bunker Hill Rd

Marengo, IL 60152

studio: 815-943-4099

cell: 708-288-5199

fax: 360-937-6485

website: www.OrthFurniture.com <http://www.orthfurniture.com/

• 6. Re: scaling questions
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Out of curiosity would Premiere Pro do this kind of clipping or cropping -

to go from 16:9 to 4:3, for instance?

No. PrPro, like PrE, has to deal with PAR's the same way.

The only thing on the horizon is with most of the HD standards, which use Square Pixels, i.e. PAR = 1.0. Still, when dealing with SD Video, the standards, 4:3 PAR = 0.9 and 16:9 PAR = 1.2, will be the same. With the world going more to HD, the PAR issues will diminish, with the exception of HD Anamorphic, which uses a non-Square Pixel too.

Good luck,

Hunt