16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 10:03 PM by Steven L. Gotz

How do I set DPX duration on import?

Bretacious1

I'm doing my first project with dpx files and I don't understand the workflow. When I import dpx files, each one is 41 seconds long. If I understand correctly, each file is supposed to be 1 frame. I've tried importing as numbered stills but still same problem.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

• 1. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

First things first, read this page:

Import numbered still-image sequences as video clips

That will help you import the images as a clip.  Then read this if you still want to import them as individual images:

Change the default duration for still images

• 2. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
            Bretacious1 Level 1

Steven

Thanks for your suggestions. As I look at these files, they seem to be short clips, not individual frames. The durations vary from 8 secs to 40 or so. Is that possible with dpx? I loaded some test files from this site that were all individual frames, but mine are not

http://www.ibiblio.org/cinepaint/

• 3. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Where did you get the clips? From a camera? From a download off of the Internet?

If they are 8 to 40 seconds long, if you import them, can you click through them one frame at a time and see if they are still images or video clips?

• 4. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                Bretacious1 Level 1

This was from a film transfer at a big post house in L.A. However I don't know if my client did anything to it after transfer as he bought the MTI system for film restoration and I'm trying to get the restoration work for myself, so I offered to do a test for him.

As I click through the first file, it's the opening credits for the movie. However the next file is the same thing and so on until I reach about the 700th file, then it's the end of the opening credits and on to the first scene. It's as if there are multiple versions of the same clip that would require multiplexing. I've never seen anything like it.

• 5. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Hmmm.

So, as you click through frame by frame, are there difference between the first frame and the last frame, or are they just the same frame over and over again?

If each clip is just a bunch of the same frame over and over again, then you might need to trim all of the clips down to one frame.  One clip at a time. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to automate that function.

You might be better off asking for a numbered image sequence.

• 6. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                    Bretacious1 Level 1

There is definitely a difference. I've seen the entire film before and these first files are definitely the opening credits. But each file contains all these different frames. My guess was that something in the MTI software might be creating these duplications but I can't find any tech info online about it. Unfortunately my client knows even less than I do about DPX except that he wants highest quality so he may not even know how the files are created or how to give me numbered sequence.

• 7. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I suppose you will have to experiment. If you use just the first frame from each file, will that look right when you play the timeline?

If so, I suppose you could drag and drop each clip individually, one right on top of the other, just moving the CTI one frame each time so you can snap to the CTI.

If that isn't right, then you are going to have one heck of a time syncing up everything.

• 8. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                        Bretacious1 Level 1

I think I'll ask my client before going further. It's a 70 minute film and that would just be so much work. Also he told me the project was 2k scan at 23.98, however in Premiere it says they're 29.97. I don't know if that's accurate if I import them incorrectly.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

• 9. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If you want to send me one of the eight second ones, I can take a look for you. You can use YouSendIt.com to send anything under 1GB.

Just use premiereuser@stevengotz.com

• 10. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                            Bretacious1 Level 1

Thanks, will do shortly.

• 11. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

One caveat here.  Be sure to set the Intermediate Timebase in the preferences to the desired frame rate before you import the files.

• 12. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Jim - the link I offered in the first response had that as the first thing to check.

Well, the good news is that what I was sent is a single frame. Nothing particulary interesting about it. Just a 1920X1080 square pixel image - RGB color, 16 bits per channel. My guess is that it is the first image since it was all black and the file name ends in 00000.dpx

No metadata to tell us anything about the software that created it. 

So, I suggest that Bretacious1 make sure that the images are all the same file size - which would indicate that they are all just one frame. Then make sure that the numbering of the files is sequential. Then, as Jim suggests, set the Intermediate Timebase to 23.98. When you import the files, click on the first one and select the "Image Sequence" checkbox.

If they are not all the same size, send me one of the ones in the neighborhood of 100MB to look at.

• 13. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                                  Bretacious1 Level 1

So if you get 1 black frame and I get the first 40 seconds of the movie, does that suggest I'm importing wrong? How can I get all these other frames. I've done the items you suggested.

All the files are sequentially numbered and all are the same size.  I tried another folder from this telecine and got the same results

• 14. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If you have a folder with sequential images - and by that I mean no breaks in the numbering - you can't be missing a simgle number - then when you import the images by selecting the very first one, then  clicking on "Image Sequence" - you should get a video clip in Premiere Pro with the name of the first image that is the number of frames in duration that you had frames in the folder.

It is a video, and I can't tell you ny what logic that Adobe decided not to give the video clip a different name than that of the first image. 

How did you get more than one video clip? You must have tried clicking on different starting points?  Don't do that. Not without a plan.

Start over. Check the numbering. If there are any missing numbers keep track of the missing numbers and always start the next image sequence import on the number following the missing frame.

So, if you are missing, for example, number 0403, then when you click on 0000 and import, your last frame should be number 0402.  Import again, this time start with 0404 and it should go right up until the next missing number.

Make sense?

• 15. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                                      Bretacious1 Level 1

Steven

I have four folders that contain the entire film. However I discovered one folder is in fact missing frames as you said. It seems my client remade the folder but left the bad one on the hard drive with a name that made me think it was the good folder.  I was able to load the good ones into After Effects with no problem at all. It prompts you for dpx sequential files as soon as you click on the first one. I was able to play through and verify the content.

However I still can't get this to work in Premiere, so I assume I'm still doing something wrong.

• 16. Re: How do I set DPX duration on import?
                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Odd. The import into Premiere Pro isn't that different. Try again using the good folder. Select the first one and click on the checkbox.