7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 5:06 AM by conroy

How do I export or save smaller sized images?

Dumble_dad Level 1

I have a design that is A3 size (i.e. 297 × 420mm) and 300dpi. I'd like to save out various versions of the image: one at full size, one at 150 dpi, one at A4 (i.e. 210 × 297mm) 150 dpi, and one at A4 72dpi. At the moment I'm doing this by saving different versions of the Photoshop PSD file and then doing a 'Save As' jpg from each of those.

What's the best way to save multiple sized versions of a design?

If I resize an image in Photoshop to be smaller and/or fewer DPI is that destructive or can I go back without loss of clarity? (I'm guessing not as the PSD file sizes are so different.)

• 1. Re: How do I export or save smaller sized images?
          Curt Y Level 7

Forget about the dpi (dots per inch for printer spec) or even ppi (pixels per inch).  If you downsize you can lose pixels, and therefore quality.  Best to make HQ origianl and keep it, then make smaller copies as needed.  So think you are confused as to what you think you are getting.  What is the end result you want?

What you need to focus on is image size of height and width in pixels.  Access this in Image/image size.

• 2. Re: How do I export or save smaller sized images?
            janelle_f Adobe Employee

In addition, here are some helpful links:

http://www.prophotoblogs.com/support/image-resize-and-optimize/

enjoy, janelle

• 3. Re: How do I export or save smaller sized images?
              Dumble_dad Level 1

Thanks Curt & Janelle

Curt says "forget about the dpi". Why? I'm making a poster that has a scanned watercolour as part of the background. Surely the dpi directly affects the print quality? Why is it wrong to supply the image at A3 300dpi, A4 150dpi, and A4 72dpi say?

The blog post Janelle recommends mentions the 'Save for Web & Devices…' feature but that seems optimised for screens not print as the measurements are all in pixels (otherwise that would have been exactly what I wanted, I think).

The final video tutorial in Janelle's answer has good beginner tips on resizing (e.g. use Bicubic Sharper) and suggest that for making A3 300dpi into A4 72dpi I should just use the standard image resize feature and then just click 'Undo' to revert to the original (rather than having to maintain multiple copies). I'm a little nervous about that though - if I forget to undo I'll have lost the original.

It's a shame there is no feature akin to 'Save for Web & Devices…' but for differing sized prints.

• 4. Re: How do I export or save smaller sized images?
                janelle_f Adobe Employee

I would recommend you watch the following links, they are advice on how to prepare images for printing.

enjoy,

janelle

• 5. Re: How do I export or save smaller sized images?
                  Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you and Curt are saying the same thing. As long as you keep the original render intacted.

Why the  72ppi? If it is for the web or any video screen the ppi is irrelevent and therefore not required, you only need to deal with pixels.

As for your question on if there is a quality loss, that depends on the resample check box when you resize the image in photoshop. That check box when not checked disables the ability to alter the actual size in pixels. When checked you can type in size size in pixels.

This also affects the size of the print when adjusting the ppi. Because the pixels are locked the size of the print must change, or if you alter the print size the ppi must change.

When the resample check box is checked, then the print size can stay the same when altering the ppi but the size in pixels changes.

Use this forumla:

width in pixels / ppi = width in inches

width in inches X ppi = width in pixels

width in inches / width in pixels = ppi

You can insert height and metric system where appropriate.

For help speeding up the process of changing the sizes that are required. Take a look at the batch command, image processor script and actions. Using these can help automate your process. The image processor does not alter the original image, it make a copy in a seperate folder that is usually located inside the folder of the original image.

• 6. Re: How do I export or save smaller sized images?
                    Dumble_dad Level 1

Silkrooster asked "Why the 72dpi?". I want an A4 72dpi version for email attachments. A4 as it'll keep the ratios of the origional and thus still look like the poster, 72dpi as that's the resolution of many screens. Given that the project is conceived of in paper sizes (it is a poster) I'm not sure that sudenly swapping to think in pixels is useful.

• 7. Re: How do I export or save smaller sized images?
                      conroy Level 5

Dumble_dad wrote:

[...] for making A3 300dpi into A4 72dpi I should just use the standard image resize feature and then just click 'Undo' to revert to the original (rather than having to maintain multiple copies). I'm a little nervous about that though - if I forget to undo I'll have lost the original. [...]

You won't lose the original if you do it to a duplicate document. Menu Image > Duplicate.

1 person found this helpful