8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 8:36 AM by luca del carlo

Working with Facing Pages as Single Pages Temporarily

luca del carlo Level 1

I have a document with 103 pages set up as facing pages (52 spreads) which I wish to view as single pages which while closely proofing. As a 13-inch laptop offers very screen real estate, enlarging a single page to the extent that 1 paragraph on average fills the screen, helps greatly as I go line-by-line through this overly complex multi-lingual document filled with diacriticals, endnotes numbers and overall just too much for the eye to closely examine on a small screen.

Enlarging the document spread to the desired size for proofing, and hitting alt+down to go to the next page, I then have to re-center (horizontally scroll) to the side of the spread I need to view. This is eternally annoying. Simply moving through the document line-by-line with the up/down arrow keys avoids this problem and keeps the greatly enlarged text centred, however, it's slow.

I thought what I need to do is switch temporarily to single pages, then I may simply use the alt+up/down keys without re-centering. Going to File>Document Setup and deselecting "Facing Pages", however, does not result in single pages. Why?

Please suggest an alternative approach if there's a better way. Thank you!

• 1. Re: Working with Facing Pages as Single Pages Temporarily
          Alec Molloy Employee Moderator

I would advise that you export your document to PDF and view it inside of Acrobat or Reader. That way you don't need to mess with your layout.

You can do this by going to File > Export:

Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 11.07.23 PM.png

Select the location you want to export it to, and set Format to “Adobe PDF (Print)”:

Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 11.07.48 PM.png

Lastly, make sure that “Pages” is selected and not “Spreads”.

Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 11.07.56 PM.png

• 2. Re: Working with Facing Pages as Single Pages Temporarily
            luca del carlo Level 1

Yes, one may proofread off a pdf or print-out. Ultimately, I must make corrections as I go along and that entails at the moment, a small screen which would benefit from enlargement, and that would be greatly simplified by looking at single pages rather than recentering a side of each spread, with all the horizontal rescrolling and bouncing around that introduces.

There's a way to do this, there cannot not be.

A solution would appear to be deselecting facing pages, however, that's not producing single pages for some reason.

I suspect something must be changed in the Master? Again this is all temporary as the file will return to spread. Each page face's content is adjusted away from the spine ( a book) so there's a left and right Master. In the end, the printer receives a pdf of course.

• 3. Re: Working with Facing Pages as Single Pages Temporarily
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Switching from facing to non-facing still leaves the two-page master spread, but it usually winds up with all pages being treated as right-hand pages, and when you switch back any overridden objects will be duplicated on the master page. It makes a mess.

Not quite as convenient as non-facing pages is to split the spreads. You can do that with a script from Harbs at http://www.printisrael.com/indesign/scripts/freeware/SeparatePages.jsx

• 4. Re: Working with Facing Pages as Single Pages Temporarily
                peter minneapolis Level 4

Have you tried zooming the screen? On Mac, Command + Plus/Minus keys zooms the display. Touchpad pinch and spread gestures, mouse wheel zoom, and "power zoom," work also. With the text tool inserted in text, you can navigate the through continuous running text in threaded frames easily. However, if there are many disconnected text frames, it's not as easy.

[EDIT] Also, InDesign can display multiple windows with different zoom levels on the same or different areas of the same document. You can navigate the windows with Cmd+~ on Mac. [/EDIT]

Search Google for terms like "InDesign select next object on page," and "InDesign power zoom," without quotes for good stuff.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

luca del carlo wrote:

I have a document with 103 pages set up as facing pages (52 spreads) which I wish to view as single pages which while closely proofing. As a 13-inch laptop offers very screen real estate, enlarging a single page to the extent that 1 paragraph on average fills the screen, helps greatly as I go line-by-line through this overly complex multi-lingual document filled with diacriticals, endnotes numbers and overall just too much for the eye to closely examine on a small screen.

Enlarging the document spread to the desired size for proofing, and hitting alt+down to go to the next page, I then have to re-center (horizontally scroll) to the side of the spread I need to view. This is eternally annoying. Simply moving through the document line-by-line with the up/down arrow keys avoids this problem and keeps the greatly enlarged text centred, however, it's slow.

I thought what I need to do is switch temporarily to single pages, then I may simply use the alt+up/down keys without re-centering. Going to File>Document Setup and deselecting "Facing Pages", however, does not result in single pages. Why?

Please suggest an alternative approach if there's a better way. Thank you!

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro

• 5. Re: Working with Facing Pages as Single Pages Temporarily
                  luca del carlo Level 1

I've completely failed at describing the issue, it seems, but thank you for the attempts at following and helping.

Imagine text zoomed to 300%,on a 13 inch screen where one line of 11pt. Monotype Basquerville just about fills most of the width of the screen.

Two opposing pages (a spread) are obviously too large to view at this degree of zoom, but using 300% is a vast improvement over my current spread maximum zoom of 140%. It is, in fact ideal. If those spreads are separated in single pages, the full horizontal length of a line, or a pargraph would always be visible.

But....

The spreads are not separated into single pages, and so running the cursor down, line-by-line, cuts off text to the right

or left as the whole spread shifts side to side. This happens because the zoom is too great to contain a spread.

The obvious solution to is to decrease the zoom to fit a spread, but that brings us full circle to the point the thread began with: I wish to view my work enlarged (zoomed) whilst having to use a small laptop and making detailed typographic/proofreading changes. Proofreading at  large size helps to catch the errors. A fully visible spread makes text too small, and an enlarged one goes beyond the screen.

But a page would fit, hence why I ask how to separate a spread into single pages.

• 6. Re: Working with Facing Pages as Single Pages Temporarily
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A 300% zoom is the same size whether you use single of facing pages, so the same amount of the page will fit either way. I think you maybe just need to adjust the horizontal scroll position as you swap sides on your spread.

• 7. Re: Working with Facing Pages as Single Pages Temporarily
                      peter minneapolis Level 4

Thanks for reminding me that I overlooked mentioning the SpaceBar Grabber Hand pan-page shortcut, and the similar two-finger touch-pad swipe.

Peter Spier wrote:

A 300% zoom is the same size whether you use single of facing pages, so the same amount of the page will fit either way. I think you maybe just need to adjust the horizontal scroll position as you swap sides on your spread.

• 8. Re: Working with Facing Pages as Single Pages Temporarily
                        luca del carlo Level 1

Peter, sincere apologies, your reply, short and precise (a script for single pages), was overlooked in between others. The horizontal re-centering of 100s of pages is over. Many, many thanks. - Luca