4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 1:22 AM by Dvico

OpenGL driver lost connection... help!

Dvico Level 1

Dear All!

I have a Premier Pro + AE Cs6 project with lots of linked comps, with some "video copilot elemet 3d" effects.

Project settings 1080p 25fps. Last time I created a graphic tytle with a large comp size ( 4000*3000 ), but the visible size left 1920*1080.

After I created this comp I got this error message : "opengl driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue". And some other element 3d comps what worked before now dissapeared, or flashing the 3d object on it.

I tryed to a clean install my nvidia driver, and set nvidia control panel to perfotmance settings.But I cannot solve the problem.If you have idea please help!

My system : win7 Pro  64 / GTX470 / i7 3930k/ 64Gb

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: OpenGL driver lost connection... help!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Even the best and most beefy graphics card will eventually run out of resources. That is just that. Pre-render stuff and split it across different projects.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: OpenGL driver lost connection... help!
            Dvico Level 1

Thanks!And what do you think this could happen with a new type GTX670 4Gb card also?

GTX470 only have more than 1Gb memory. I wouldn' like similar errors in the future, maybe is it worth to replace the VGA?

• 3. Re: OpenGL driver lost connection... help!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

In plain terms: You could have a 16GB graphics card and it would still happen. It's an inherent limitation in pretty much any GPU acceleration - in favor of fast processing, there is only a minimal amount of data integrity checks and verification and limited methods to e.g. control memory allocation. Apps only send standard high level commands to the graphics driver and the driver needs to make it happen - or not. In most cases there is simply no way to e.g. force one instance of Element to release certain mameory regions unless that specific instance itself sends those commands. If you will, it's a "dumb" model where every instance of a process thinks it has full control over the graphics resourcves without caring for otehrs. Sure, with 4GB you might be able to cram in a few more instances of Element than with 1.5GB, but it's a definite given that at some point things will bomb out again if you're not careful. You have to be smart, because OpenGL can't be (beyond a certain point), if you will...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: OpenGL driver lost connection... help!
                Dvico Level 1

Ok.:-( Thanks a lot!