7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 3:48 PM by the_wine_snob

Starting Premier Elements 11

lelleQ88

I have installed and uninstalled Premiere Elements 11 (trial version) for 4 or 5 times.

The installation runs ok. Than it is impossible to start the program with the icon placed om the screen.

A short reaction, then nothing att all happens. I can´t even imagine what the problem is.

L.Eksell

• 1. Re: Starting Premier Elements 11
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which operating system?

• 2. Re: Starting Premier Elements 11
            lelleQ88 Level 1

I have Windows 7

• 3. Re: Starting Premier Elements 11
              Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Elements forum.  Please see Troubleshoot install using logs | Elements - http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-install-using-logs-elements.html for information on how to verify there was no installation errors.

• 4. Re: Starting Premier Elements 11
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do you have Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?

Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have installed not only the automatic but also the non-critical updates (which do not install automatically)? Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime?

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? How much free space is on your C drive? When did you last run Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter on your drive?

Do you have any other Adobe software on your computer?

• 5. Re: Starting Premier Elements 11
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the answers to Steve's questions, take a look at this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

It starts with setting up and installing PrE to run best on your computer. Then, it lists tune-up tips for the computer and OS, and finally lists troubleshooting tips, with links to various tools, and solutions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Starting Premier Elements 11
                    lelleQ88 Level 1

I do have Adobe reader and Adobe Photoshop 11, and they work very good. I have not visited Windows update for a while. Seems like a good idea anyhow.

Quicktime is installed just before I downloaded Premiere elements. I think I have enough space on my C-drive. Total of 490 Gb and 396 Gb free space.

Must be ok. I don´t understand so much about RAM. Cleanup and defragmentaion is something I do frequently. At least once a week.

I don´t have the patience to wait 30-40 minutes every time  I install the program, just to find out that it doesn´t start. So I think I will leave the "project" and try something else.

I have installed many different programs during the years, but never experienced that the program does not start att all. The rotating ring is visible for one or two seconds, ten nothing at all happens. Frustrating to name the first name. This probably means that if I do by the program, I will get the same problem. 

• 7. Re: Starting Premier Elements 11
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I think I have enough space on my C-drive. Total of 490 Gb and 396 Gb free space.

That should be adequate for both the installation and running of PrE. I recommend 60 - 80GB's free-space, and you greatly exceed that.

The next biggest problem with PrE starting and running, after one addresses the free-space, is a bad video driver. One of the very first things that I recommend is to go to the video card's/chip's mfgr's. Web site, and to download and install the latest driver. Now, with some "assembly line" computers, like Dell, HP, Lenovo, and some others, the mfgr. of the computer will re-write the video driver, so that ONLY their version will work, and then the user is at their mercy to issue a newer video driver. I also recommend that one update their audio driver, at the same time, but that is not often a reason for the program to not run, when properly installed.

Wish that I had more to offer, beyond good luck,

Hunt