14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2013 7:39 AM by ssharn

Exporting

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WS376CC874-7325-4e1a-BDEC-D4BAE05F90F1a.html

• 1. Re:  Exporting
          chrisrobweeks Level 1

I receive an error when trying to export my .INDD file to .EPUB (File > Export to > EPUB). When I click Export in the final dialog box, I receive the following error: Cannot Export ".indd" Export Failed. This is accompanied by a progress bar for Exporting EPUB which I cannot click out of. InDesign does not crash, as some have reported, but this progress bar does not go away and I am forced to close the program. Has anyone had a similar problem?

• 2. Re:  Exporting
            The Ritz

I am also having issues with the Export option to either the Digital Editions or new Kindle option. I've tried the Guided Export or the Quick Export, Neither works.  It keeps giving me error messages regarding permission rights or not enough storage memory. This doesn't make any sense. I'm not ssure if it's because of the actual size of the InDesign file because I can execute the Export with a very small file but the file I need is 27 Mb.

Any ideas?

Kindle Error.PNG

• 3. Re:  Exporting
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you're using the Amazon supplied plug in you'll need to report it to Amazon.

Bob

• 4. Re:  Exporting
                The Ritz Level 1

Happy holidays, Bob. I'm not sure what you mean by your report statement to Amazon. Are you talking about the error message regarding their plug-in to see of they have any resolution to the issue? I downloaded their most recent version and still no Export. The other issue is that it doesn't Export to Adobe Digital Editions. So, it doesn't matter whether it's a ePub or Kindle format. Something is wron with InDesign.

I tried exporting the file to the Cloud but no export. Same error messages. 

• 5. Re:  Exporting
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is outside my workflow, but the error meesage indicates to me that you are lacking write permission on a folder (and not necessarily the one where you are trying to save the exported file).

• 6. Re:  Exporting
                    The Ritz Level 1

Thanks, but that's what I thought too. That's why I tried a variety of export locations including the cloud to perform the task. I have no problem saving files to the same set of locations. No permission-errors there. Very strange.

• 7. Re:  Exporting

Digital Editions? What version of InDesign are you using?

Bob

• 8. Re:  Exporting

This is probably a permission issue with something in your user profile/library, NOT anything at all to do with the location where you want to save the file. What's the OS? Do you have and Admin account?

• 9. Re:  Exporting
                          The Ritz Level 1

Windows 7 Home Premium and CS4.

• 10. Re:  Exporting
                            The Ritz Level 1

Possibly, however I am the Admin. I have never changed my user permissions on My Document folders.

• 11. Re:  Exporting

We're not talking about the Documents folder, I suspect. It's much more likely to be in your user profile. InDesign needs to be able to write in several folders in the Roaming and Local directories for various purposes. I don't know that that's the issue, but we've seen similar errors when ID was not able to write here.

• 12. Re:  Exporting

I would strongly suggest upgrading. CS4's epub features are very subpar.

CS6 is lightyears ahead.

Bob

• 13. Re:  Exporting
                                  The Ritz Level 1

I downloaded Trial CS6 and unfortunately not much better. I had a Microsoft techie work on my computer for 2.5 days...Yes, 2.5 days and they discovered that the main issue was due to a hiden set of extememly large "temporary" files created as the Export action was executed. For a 28 Mb ePub or mobi file, 7.5 G of files were created in a hidden folder. Unbelievable. Also, the kindlegen script also terminated the export for some unknown reason.

• 14. Re:  Exporting
                                    ssharn

I'm not certain if "permissions" is the problem with this issue, but I have had a "permissions" issue relative to the "user" folders.  You would think having "Admin" privileges would alleviate this problem, but a user "Admin" is not the same as the "System Admin".  There is a registry modification that will install a "Take Ownership" option for folders and files when you "right click" on them in Windows Explorer. I have used it a few times and it alleviated the errors.  The modification can be found at various sites. A couple of them are "How-To Geek" (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-me nu-in-vista/) and the "Windows SevenForums" (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html).  This last site also covers setting the "permission level" of the folder/file and has a link to a tutorial.

It is usually a ZIP file that has ".reg" files in it for installing and uninstalling the modification.  Easy to install and I have not had any problems using it.