5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 9:09 PM by Lynda-S

Smooth Lines in PS

Lynda-S Level 4

In Illustrator you draw a line and Illustrator will automatically smooth out the line so it looks clean and smooth.

My question: Is there an equivalent command in Photoshop?

Note: I am using CS6

• 1. Re: Smooth Lines in PS
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Your question is a bit on the terse side, but I think what you're wanting is vector-based graphics, which you achieve in Photoshop via paths and vector masks shape layers.

Are you having specific trouble with the aliasing?  That might require setting the RGB blending in the Color options to gamma 1.0.

You're wanting this kind of result?

Arrows.png

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Smooth Lines in PS
            Lynda-S Level 4

You are correct. I need to start learning Illustrator => 

My issue is not with aliasing but more with not being able to draw straight. Illustrator helps correct that PS doesn't.

From what I could tell and your answer paths and shape layers are the way to go in PS and for other more artistic illustrations illustrator here i come =>

• 3. Re: Smooth Lines in PS
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Or are you talking about drawing something freehand then having the software smooth it?

I guess that's still kind of the same thing...  What comes to mind is to draw a path with the Pen tool (or maybe Freeform Pen Tool), then edit the path's points to get it just right, then stroke the path.

I think it's going to be less automatic than what you get in Illustrator, but I don't use Illustrator so I can't say for certain.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Smooth Lines in PS
                Curt Y Level 7

If you want to draw a straight line hold down th shift key click the first point and go to next point and click.  A staight line will be drawn between the 2 points.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Smooth Lines in PS
                  Lynda-S Level 4

@Noel - I would say it is the same. I will use Illustrator and attempt to learn the program and its features.

@Curt - Thanks for the tip, I was aware of that but I know many are not. It has saved many, many frustrating times! =>