4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 10:26 AM by Jim_Simon

Can changing cache location slow Prem?

Illusiumd11 Level 1

I got tired of having to burrow into my C: drive to find Premiere's cache files -- so I set up a specific folder where I could easily keep track of them -- same HD, different partition. Should I leave them in their default locations? Any performance hit by taking them out of Program Files?

• 1. Re: Can changing cache location slow Prem?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The larger issue is that you have partitioned your C: drive.  You should undo that.  Back up your files, wipe your hard drive by reformatting it, then reinstall Windows, drivers, updates and then the Adobe applications.

• 2. Re: Can changing cache location slow Prem?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What Jim said... partitions have been known to cause crashes... http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957286

• 3. Re: Can changing cache location slow Prem?
              Illusiumd11 Level 1

Hmm, that's interesting. From what I see, partitions are bad if you're writing from Prem off one partition to another partition on the same physical HD. Is it bad to have partitions altogether? Does the wear and tear come from Premiere and the like -- or is that anything you do with partions?

I do a lot of other media work other than just video. I also have three total HDs all 640gig. I've never in a decade of working with Premiere had a problem partioning my first HD for imaging purposes. All my footage/media is on different physical disks. I'm kind of surprised people would recommend not having a partion for an OS image seeing what insanity it is to install/reinstall/upgrade CS (but i guess now people are buying small solid state disks for their OS drive). 

But yes, in reading that on partitions it is bad to put stuff that Prem has to read on a different partition on the same physical disk, but what about a completely different physical HD altogether? My question still here: Is performance affected by not having media cache files on the drive that Prem is installed?

• 4. Re: Can changing cache location slow Prem?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Is it bad to have partitions altogether?

Yes.

There is no connection between the install location and the cache drive per se.  It's just that you normally want to use the default install location on C:, and you don't want to put anything on C: but Windows and programs.