5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2012 1:25 PM by jasoncpost

Building a new Laptop!

jasoncpost

This is the best configuration I've been able to find and stay around my 2K price point. Advice or suggestions would be appreciated. And has anyone ran cs6 on windows 8 yet and how is it doing.

• 1920 x 1080 17.3" FHD LED Backlit Matte Display
      • Customizable Backlit Keyboard Software with Three Lighting Zones and Seven Color options
      • Single 3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX (May Delay Ship Date)
      • ORIGIN Professional Graphics Card Overclocking
      • Intel Core i7 3740QM Quad-Core 2.70GHz (3.70GHz TurboBoost), 6MB Cache
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz (4 X 4GB)
      • Genuine MS Windows 8 64-Bit Edition
      • 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
      • 120GB Intel 520 Series
      • 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
      • None
      • Integrated High-Definition Audio with THX TruStudio Pro and up to 7.1 Channel support
      • Wi-Fi Link 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module with Bluetooth - Up to 300 Mbps
      • SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
      • Media Card Reader
      • Integrated Biometric Fingerprint Reader
        • 1. Re: Building a new Laptop!
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some previous laptop discusstions below, for comparison

Also for comparison, go to the CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ to see laptop results (I think you may select by laptop)

As for Win8... you might want to see if Win7 is available instead... Win8 comments I've seen so far are somewhat mixed, with the main problems being the "usual" lag of software and hardware updates that happens with every new version of Windows

Otherwise, I don't see any large problems with that laptop (Harm may come along with a different opinion)

Laptop Video Editing PC http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1069742

-and http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

• 2. Re: Building a new Laptop!
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Second John's opinion about the laptop. Looks good. But with a completely new system I would go for Win8, even though not all drivers, system software and utilities are available yet. They are expected in the next couple of weeks however and then it beats reformatting and a new install.

• 3. Re: Building a new Laptop!
              Cocovanna Level 1

Why so eager with Win 8? What's the rush? Any advantages with video editing?

• 4. Re: Building a new Laptop!
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I never trust 'upgrading' an OS. A new OS requires a fresh format and a whole new install. The consequence is that your volume ID changes and that means getting a new activation code for some programs. A new OS means getting used to it and that applies to the 'Apps' interface of Win8 in particular. Before you have tuned your new system, the currently missing drivers may be shipping and that problem is solved.

No, Win8 does not perform better than Win7 for editing, it starts a bit faster, but that is about all the performance differnce you will see.

All things considerd, I think when you have Win7, wait a bit to learn from those who went ahead, but if you need to get a new system, then by all means, go for Win8. On my 'old' system, Harm's Beast, I use Win7, it is only on the new system, Harm's Monster' that I use Win8.

• 5. Re: Building a new Laptop!
                  jasoncpost Level 1

Thanks guys. Its always nice just to get a bit of reassurance before dropping 2k on a system.