5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 1:12 PM by MediaComposer06

Upgraded to Premiere CS6, but it's really slow, why?

IvorBanham

Until recently I was cutting on FCP7, but after FCPX was released I decided to come back to Premiere Pro after a four year gap.  I’ve been playing with Premiere for a few days now and am surprised at how slow everything is.

A simple task like dragging and dropping a file from the Project window onto the timeline makes the clip stutter as you drag it, i.e. jumping in intervals on the screen as you try to position it on the timeline. Equally using the CTI to scrub over a bunch of clips in a sequence only brings up the odd frame at intervals in the Programme monitor rather than the speedy fast forward/reverse effect such scrubbing normally provides.

Now I’ve read some threads on here (and elsewhere) about this whole slowness issue in Premiere CS6, but as yet I can’t find a conclusion and was wondering if anyone else has?

Before listing my set up it’s worth pointing out that as part of the swap back to Premiere Pro CS6 I carried out a significant upgrade to my edit Mac. This involved all new hard drives and a fresh install of the OS (Snow Leopard). So effectively I have started with a virgin machine without any remnants left over from FCP7 or anything else prior to the upgrade. I’ve also installed the latest updates and drivers from Apple and Adobe. The only thing in the mix that hasn’t got the latest drivers is the Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 3D+ break out card. Blackmagic only released their latest drivers a few days ago and you need Lion or Mountain Lion to install them (more on that in a minute).

OK here’s a breakdown of the hardware in my Mac Pro 4,1:

2 x 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (2 processors, 8 cores)

32GB RAM (DDR3 1066Mhz)

ATI Radeon HD 4870 (512MB VRAM)

Black Magic Decklink HD Extreme 3D+

x4 3TB 7200rpm Internal hard drives (i.e. 1 root drive and x3 for footage)

OS X Version 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Now it’s worth pointing out that I know the GPU ATI Radeon graphics card in my set up is not a recommended CUDA card and thus Premiere is  running on ‘software only’ rather than making use of the Mercury Playback engine.

Very shortly I will probably upgrade my graphics card, but even without it having 32GB of RAM under the hood and a decent(ish) processor I would expect Premiere to run a lot smoother than it does.

Finally, and as an aside, I have a completely different issue with audio sync on my breakout monitor that I’m 99% sure is down to the Blackmagic extreme break out card. There are many references to this issue with Premiere Pro and this card in forums and for this reason I am about to install Mountain Lion and subsequently upgrade the Blackmagic drivers that were released a few days ago. However I think this issue is a red herring in terms of the performance of Premiere Pro CS6, and I only mention it in case someone has also come across and resolved this same Blackmagic/audio issue.