8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2012 1:58 PM by Steve Grisetti

black bars

adobenewbie123 Level 1

I just  bought an electrical  chord that goes from my laptop to flat screen tv so i can start seeing my project on a full screen.  And now I am realizing that I have absolutely no clue as to what determines frame size. To my horror, I see that I have black bars around the tv so it does not fill up the screen. My project setting are DV NTSC, 29.97 frames/second.(which seemed to be the  default when I first started importing my clips)   I am outputting it as a windows media file HD 720p 25.   Can anyone explain what actually determines how it fills up a screen and if there is another  type of output setting might possibly fix it?  I am hoping that I do not need to change the project setting cause that wold mean I woul have to start all the editing over from scratch whch is not an option at this point.  (I'd rather have black bars than have to do that)

Thanks for your time and input!

• 1. Re: black bars
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your TV is 1920x1080 while your video (at 720p) is only 1280x720 pixels in size.

Your Zoom control on your TV can be set to view the video at full screen.

• 2. Re: black bars
            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Okay good to know.  Thanks for the info Steve!  Will that impact the quality of the picture when it zooms out to fill the entire screen?

Also, I am curious if I will be hurt by the DV NTSC project setting I mentioned above, which defaults to a  frame size of 720 horizontal and 480 vertical but the output from windows media setting defaults to 1280 x 720 on the share screen,  Are those supposed to match up?  I did have a separate project that i started in an HD setting and when I just noticed that when I exported to to the same .wmv output settings, the screen filled up more of the windows media player. Ultimately both projects will be burned to a dvd and then merged into 1 movie  but  I am nervous about the screen size changing on the final product.

• 3. Re: black bars
              rgindiana

Remove me from this thread

Roy Geesa

Sent from my iPad

• 4. Re: black bars

Yes, you are up-rezzing if you're showing a 720x480 picture at 1280x720 -- and even more if you're zooming in to 1920x1080! Like four times its original size. So it's not going to look nearly as good as a true HD picture, of course.

Best advice is to burn your video to DVD. Maybe DVD and BluRay players have an uprez feature that cleans up standard def video so that it looks better on an HD TV. It won't be HD -- but it will look better.

• 5. Re: black bars
                  rgindiana Level 1

Remove me from this thread!

Roy Geesa

Sent from my iPad

• 6. Re: black bars
                    adobenewbie123 Level 1

Okay thanks again.  So if I had imported the clips in an HDV project setting, as opposed to a DV project setting, would it have been less probolematuic blowing it up to fill the tv screen?

What is the proper file setting if I want to burn to a  dvd.  i am better offf choosing mpeg as opposed to wmv?   It seems to be the import and export aspects of  video editing that is taking the longest for me to grasp:(

• 7. Re: black bars
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

rgindiana wrote:

Remove me from this thread!

Roy Geesa

Sent from my iPad

YOU control what you receive by email

Email notices http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503132

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1017286

• 8. Re: black bars

Roy, you've got to remove yourself from the thread by clicking on the option to Stop E-mail Notifications to the right of the thread. Reposting "Remove me from this thread" only makes things worse.