5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 12:08 PM by TimJaramillo

pass symbol instance name to variable

David M.

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to pass the instance name (ID) of a clicked object to a variable so I can navigate to a label on the timeline with the same name.

So far I've tried different variations of:

sym.getSymbol() //logs as "undefined"

sym.getSymbolTypeName // logs the symbol name in the library, not the instance

Any ideas?

Thanks

-Dave

• 1. Re: pass symbol instance name to variable
          TimJaramillo Level 4

Hi David, see below. Here you manually pass in the btnId. Not sure if you're specifically trying to dynamically get the button's instance name?

// code on Stage.compositionReady event

sym.onClick = function(btnId){

sym.play(btnID);

}

// code on your button's click event

sym.getComposition().getStage().onClick("myBtn");

• 2. Re: pass symbol instance name to variable
            David M. Level 1

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick response. However, I am trying to dynamically get the button's name. Ideally instead of adding a line of code to each button, I was hoping to add the code to the symbol in the library, that would then pass the instance name of each copy I made.

Right now I have five buttons on the stage with indivdual instance names (nav_btn1 thru nav_btn5). Instead of handcoding an onclick even handler for each button I'd like to dynamically retrieve the instance name of the button clicked and pass it into a variable. In Flash I could do this with  e.target.name ... is there an equivelent in EA and jQuery?

Thanks,

David

• 3. Re: pass symbol instance name to variable
              TimJaramillo Level 4

Hi David,

You can use "e.target.id" on your button click event to get the button's div id.

alert(e.target.id);

The only weird thing is that it seems to prepend "Stage_" to the value, so if your button div is called "myButton", the above will alert "Stage_myButton".

• 4. Re: pass symbol instance name to variable
                David M. Level 1

Sweet!

That worked - Thanks! I ended up combining both your suggestions. on the button symbol i have

sym.getComposition().getStage().onClick(e.target.id);

and then after compositionReady I added a function to split out the second name and logged it to test;

sym.onClick = function(targetId){

var names = targetId.split("_");

console.log(names[1]);

}

Works perfectly! - Although it would be nice if the EA team could fix that functionality in future releases so e.target.id gives you just the id for the selected symbol. I would think if you can write something like getSymbol("mySymbol") it should be just as easy to get that name without all the extra (Stage...etc)

Thanks again!

-David

• 5. Re: pass symbol instance name to variable
                  TimJaramillo Level 4

No problem!

Agreed, the "Stage_" prepending deal is weird. Maybe I'm missing something in the documenation for a more direct way to grab the clicked button id. I don't see anything in the API doc though: http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/edgeanimate/api/current/index.html