4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2012 1:52 PM by Paul Hough

Import single element from xml and place into active doc via text box

Paul Hough

I am working on an existing .indd file (press sheet) and need to add a text field with content that is stored in a xml file using Javascript in CS5.5. I can make a text box and add content to it but importing a XML and grabbing the value is just beyond my curent skill set. If someone could just push me in the right direction that would be great.

Below is a sample of what the .xml file looks like I am trying to get the bolded string.

///// Start of XML ////////

<field-list>

<field Id="spMF_1_5">

<tag>JbName</tag>

<type>string</type>

<required>false</required>

<value>Test_3498349</value>

</field>
      </field-list>

//////// End of XML //////

• 1. Re: Import single element from xml and place into active doc via text box
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

In general, to import myFile, which is .xml to InDesign use:

app.activeDocument.importXML(myFile);

Regarding to your example,  desired value will be given by:

app.activeDocument.xmlElements[0].xmlElements[0].xmlElements.itemByName("value").contents;

hope it helps...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Import single element from xml and place into active doc via text box
            Paul Hough Level 1

Thanks Jump_Over!!

Here is the Problemt that I have I can import the XML element ino a textbox using;

var FilterXML

app.activeDocument.importXML(File.openDialog("Please choose XML File", FilterXML));

app.activeDocument.pages[0].textFrames[0].parentStory.contents = app.activeDocument.xmlElements[0].xmlElements[0].xmlElements.itemByName("value").contents ;

But when I replace the

"File.openDialog("Please choose XML File", FilterXML)"

with a file a file path (/HDD/Users/Me/dDescktop/test.xml) the same script fails. I am using a mac if that makes any differance at all.any help would be appreciated greatly!!

Also I have tried using "app.activeDocument.pages[0].textFrames[0].parentStory.contents = FilterXML" to get the file path but this failed aswell

Thanks,

Paul Hough

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Import single element from xml and place into active doc via text box
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Paul Hough wrote:

..  when I replace the

"File.openDialog("Please choose XML File", FilterXML)"

with a file a file path (/HDD/Users/Me/dDescktop/test.xml) the same script fails.

With what error? (Did you for example  forgot to add quotes around the path?)

Just a random guess: Since CS4 or so, file operations got a bit more picky about what they expect -- a literal "File" object, and nothing as simple as 'a string that is a file path'. You could try this:

app.activeDocument.importXML(File("/HDD/Users/Me/dDescktop/test.xml"));

(I copied the path from your post. Is "dDescktop" really the name of an existing folder?)

• 4. Re: Import single element from xml and place into active doc via text box
                Paul Hough Level 1

Jongware,

Thank you so much for your help!! the "app.activeDocument.importXML(File("/HDD/Users/Me/dDescktop/test.xml")) ;" does exactlly what I had intended.

The file path in my post was just an example, but you are corect "dDesktop" would not have worked very well .... lol