5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2012 2:12 PM by Joel Cherney

Text import comes in scrambled

Mr. Met Level 3

Doing a directory for a HS. 9th and 10th imported fine. 11th grade comes in funky. First it came in as table. I then had the text imported as unformatted text. The first line should be mom and dad tab address tab phone. But the address and phone are dropping to end of listing after all the kids names. In the attached screen shot, the top shows how entry appears in word, the bottom how it imports into CS6. Any idea how to make it import correctly? Thx.

wordimport.jpg

• 1. Re: Text import comes in scrambled
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Might help to see it in word with non-printing characters showing....

• 2. Re: Text import comes in scrambled
            Mr. Met Level 3

This should be fun since I have no clue how to navigate word. Be back shortly.

• 3. Re: Text import comes in scrambled
              Mr. Met Level 3

OK. Got it. Screen shot from word.

invisible.jpg

• 4. Re: Text import comes in scrambled
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Ouch.

I'm no Word expert, but that looks really screwed up to me -- tabs and paragraph reurns in very odd places and inconsistent.

What do you get if you save the file as RTF?

• 5. Re: Text import comes in scrambled
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is an absymally normal-looking table, Peter.   Part of the reason it seems odd is that the gridlines are hidden. If you were to show the gridlines, you'd see that "Acheson, James" and "26 Boulevard" are part of the same cell, while "Adams, Alexander" etc. and "53 Willow Avenue" are in separate cells.

In your shoes, I might show gridlines in Word, and then use Word's somewhat-unreliable-yet-very-useful "Draw Table Gridlines" to make each entry have the same format - basically, to draw a new table line between Acheson and the address. Basically, whoever compiled that table used spaces and etc. to make it look right in Word, but that won't help you at all when importing into ID because what you need is not "correct appearance in Word" but a file that doesn't change structure from entry to entry.

The other possibility would be to Convert Table to Text, and then separate with returns or tabs or whatever.

Okay, the other other possibility would be to go back to the source that provided the files to you and say "This is a mess; here's what I need - each entry to have the same format" and have them do the data hygiene.