11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 1:56 PM by Bushy162

Star Twinkle - How?

Bushy162 Level 1

I had a look at a photoshop tutorial on this, but I can't get a blur that works the same in AE.

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/glints/glint.htm

I need the line to blur away to a point, but directional blur doesn't seem to do this.  It blurs it away but the line doesn't go pointy.

• 1. Re: Star Twinkle - How?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Box Blur set to Horizontal or vertical depending on your line.

CC Cross Blur

Directional blur - match the angle

Don't give up on the first filter you try.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Star Twinkle - How?
            Bushy162 Level 1

Do you mean all of those filters at once?

• 3. Re: Star Twinkle - How?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You apply them to different duplicates of your source and then use belnding modes like Add to combine them. Glow also has a horizontal/ vertical only option, BTW.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Star Twinkle - How?
                Bushy162 Level 1

Thanks this looks very promising!  I haven't tried it out yet, but thanks for your response.

• 5. Re: Star Twinkle - How?
                  Bushy162 Level 1

Okay, I've tried that, but I'm still struggling to see how this is different from just applying one to one source.

I mean, if I'm using the colour white, then blend modes don't seem to affect the interaction between the layers.

• 6. Re: Star Twinkle - How?

AE's effects work accumulative on the same layer. If you apply them in sequence, effect B will use the output of effect A which in case of blurs will result in everything turning into a smudge at some point. Or in other words: If you applied a horizontal blur to a dot to create a streak, the next effect for a diagonal or vertical streak will use the horizontal streak, not the dot source. and yes, blending effects may not show up on pure colors and fully opaque layers dur to the math involved, but they will with reduced opacity or using colors.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Star Twinkle - How?
                      Bushy162 Level 1

I understand all of that. I think Rick misunderstood my question in the first place.

Thanks for your detailed response, but this still doesn't answer my question:  How do I get the blur to taper?

• 8. Re: Star Twinkle - How?

I think Rick understood you right. In the example you posted the streaky are not tapering at all. It just appears that way because near the edges the pixels fade and in a combination of AE's antialiasing/ sub-pixel sampling vs. human perception it appears as if they actually thin out. If you really want "true" tapering, you will have to apply effects like e.g. Corner pin or Bezier Warp and adust them accordingly. Or you employ completely different techniques like scaling circles such as I did in the lensflare project on my site:

http://myleniumstuff.com/2009/01/07/lens-flares/

There's a matching tutorial I did for creativeCOW way back then...

Mylenium

• 9. Re: Star Twinkle - How?
                          Bushy162 Level 1

Yes, I understand now why it appears to be tapering but actually isn't. I hadn't realised this.

I think for the time being I'll stay off Corner Pin because all I really want is to have the pixels fade away near the edges. So how can this be done, I mean if I'm just using Horizontally confined blur filters, and my line is horizontal, then the edges won't fade away as it streaks. I perhaps have missed something but I can't see what.

By the way, I had a look at you website/blog and was extremely impressed with the stuff you've got on there. It's pretty mindblowing!

I also think it's admirable that you allow it to be downloaded for free, purely for the benifit of others. Respect!

• 10. Re: Star Twinkle - How?
                            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you really want to duplicate the effect in the Photoshop tutorial exactly then follow the tutorial in Photoshop and import your star element into AE, set the blend mode to screen or add and you're done.

If you want to recreate a tapering faded line then try Trapcode 3D Stroke, Another option would be Beam + Lens Flair. Just set the copies of  Beam effect to Composite on original.

Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 8.58.33 AM.png

• 11. Re: Star Twinkle - How?
                              Bushy162 Level 1

Ok, thanks very much for your help.  I conlude this discussion solved. And thank you Mylenium as well.