4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 10:32 AM by Rick Gerard

How do I make text grow and explode?

bongodudetom

Hi guys,

I hope all is well with all of you. I'm trying to do something that I think should be a simple effect - but I can't figure out how!

Basically - I want some text to "fly" towards me (in other words grow in size), and then when it gets close to me for it to shatter. Then once all those pieces have disappeared, I want the same to happen again.

Now, I've tried 2 ways.

The first is using the "shatter" effect in after effects. However I can't seem to make the start point move? In other words, I've got a layer of text which I change the scale on (using keyframes) and when I drag the shatter effect onto the text, it always starts at the beginning which I don't want. I want the effect to start whilst the text is growing (or nearly fully grown).

The other way is following this tutorial on video co-pilot http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/particle_explosion/ (well the part for the text anyway), however the shatters don't disappear quick enough. There are still loads left on the screen - I appreciate I could just fade the layer out but this would spoil the effect I feel. I want the shatters to basically all disappear.

I'm trying to create something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGhu9d9w9wo

OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTqO8lmpwvQ

I think the second one looks slightly nicer - but I appreciate that probably requires trapcode particular!

I'm using CS5.5 on OS X Mountain Lion.

Thanks all for your help,

Cheers

Tom

• 1. Re: How do I make text grow and explode?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Shater is based on real world physics. Just animate the force position or strength to make the effect start where you want it to start. There are a zillion questions about shatter on this and other forums and they always are answered correctly by asking you do animate the force.

• 2. Re: How do I make text grow and explode?
            bongodudetom Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried animting the force. Well I tried animating the forces and gravity (otherwise it dropped) but that didn't help. The text just stayed static when the force and gravity were brought up. Sorry - I should've said that in the first post.

• 3. Re: How do I make text grow and explode?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Um, there are more controls in Shatter than just Force.  Play around with them.  See how they work.  Learn.

• 4. Re: How do I make text grow and explode?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You want to animate force one. Set the size to zero, then to one. Or move it into the text. Set a couple keyframes and you're done. I don't mean to sound impatient, but this isn't hard. There are 8 million shatter tutorials on the web that show you exactly how to do this. The wireframe view shows you exactly where the force field that breaks apart the layer is in 3D space. You can add a comp camera, select comp camera in the view options, then move around to see what you're doing.

Animate the radius, the depth, or the strength. This screenshot shows a text layer from the back with the force set to a depth of .09 and a radius set to .26. You can see the force pushing the bricks out.

Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 10.26.37 AM.png