6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 6:23 AM by Cerillion

Embedded Font

Cerillion

Hi,

One of our application producing Bill PDF,all the fonts are embedded by our application.

When we try to view the properties from Adobe Reader 7.0 >font > All the font used in the system are shown as Embedded.

But Adobe Professional Pref light option are not supporting the above facts and reporting each font as Embedded Subset.

Could you please verify if Pref light option are reporting the stats about the PDF are correct.

How to identify if nay font is Embedded subset rather than Fully Embedded.

-

Key points to note are below.. I have highlighted in RED the important info..

Text HelveticaNeueLTCom-BdCn,Bold 6.0 - 16.0 pt TrueType embedded (as a subset) (66 matches)

Text HelveticaNeueLTCom-Cn 8.0 - 11.0 pt TrueType embedded (as a subset) (6 matches)

Text HelveticaNeueLTCom-LtCn 8.0 - 18.0 pt TrueType embedded (as a subset) (34 matches)

Text HelveticaNeueLTCom-LtCnO,Italic 8.0 - 11.0 pt TrueType embedded (as a subset) (8 matches)

TrueType font: "HelveticaNeueLTCom-BdCn,Bold"

Position (pt): 403.94/744.4

Size (pt): 136.79/12.07

PostScript name: HelveticaNeueLTCom-BdCn,Bold

Unicode CMap is present

Encoding: StandardEncoding

Font is a subset

Font uses built-in encoding

Embedded: True

Font descriptors

Maximum height above the baseline: 961

y-coordinate of the top of flat capital letters: 660

Maximum depth below the baseline: -224

Italic angle in degrees counterclockwise: 0

Width of the dominant vertical stems of glyphs: 110

Average width of characters: 0

Desired spacing between lines: 0

Maximum width of characters: 0

Width to use for un-encoded characters: 240

Vertical width of the dominant horizontal stems of glyphs: 0

y-coordinate of the top of flat non-ascending lowercase letters: 0

PostScript name: AA0201+HelveticaNeueLTCom-BdCn,Bold

-

Thanks

Anup

• 1. Re: Embedded Font
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

They look like subsets to me. Subsets are now recommended, why would you be concerned?

The ONLY way to tell if a font is subsetted by examining the PDF internally is to see if font base names start with six characters followed by "+". AA0201+HelveticaNeueLTCom-BdCn,Bold matches this form.

• 2. Re: Embedded Font
            Cerillion Level 1

Hi,

Our Client are using Computershare for printing the Bills and they are concerned regarding the Embedded subset in the Bill PDF.

As Computershare explain as follows

Since each font for every PDF is unique.. When the PDF's are combined together, each of the 5 unique fonts in each PDF becomes a unique font in the end production print PDF.

100 PDF's X 5 Fonts each equates to 500 unique fonts (minimum) in the production PDF sent to print.

Some of the batches I'm seeing go to Production are upwards of 900 sets per batch.. This mean's the Printers RIP process needs to try and understand and manage more than 4500 unique fonts in the production file!!

Thanks & Regards,

Anup Kurhekar

• 3. Re: Embedded Font

Seems a good reason. You might need to change your production process. Note especially that many fonts can only be embedded as a subset, and many tools no longer offer the choice.

• 4. Re: Embedded Font
                Cerillion Level 1

Hi,

Do you think if there is problem with font family Helvetica Neue LT Com used in the PDF.

we suspect that problem arise around this 57_cn, as font name embedded(Helvetica Neue LT Com 77  font) in TTF file is different from actual Helvetica Neue LT Com 57 Cn Bold.

Thanks & Regards,

Anup Kurhekar

• 5. Re: Embedded Font

The chances are that all normal western TTF fonts are treated alike.

My first instinct is to try a type 1 font instead.

If that doesn't help, you need to look at your application (which I notice you've told us nothing about, so I guess it isn't Acrobat).

• 6. Re: Embedded Font
                    Cerillion Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We are using streamserve application for producing the PDF.

We don't Adobe Professional with us,could you please let me know if we can get Free version of the same or any website where PDF can be uploaded as input and produces an output preflight report.

Thanks & Regards,

Anup Kurhekar