9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 7:30 AM by gator soup

Color difference between two documents with same settings

This_is_sd

Hello, I'm new to these forums so if I am doing anything wrong, feel free to tell me.

I am a webdesigner and have a problem with my Photoshop CS6.

I work on both a mac and a pc (Win7), but use CS6 on both systems. My files are always worked with on both systems.

With several psd's, I noticed a colourdifference when I dragged layers to new psd's. Even the RGB values changed. When dragged back to the original psd, the colours change back again. This is not a constant problem. I have checked the colour settings of both files and see no difference. If I place the colour specified in the failing psd in a HTML-file, the colour does not resemble the failing psd. In HTML, the colour resembles the new psd. I think there is something wrong with some of my psd's, but cannot figure out what it could be and how to fix and prevent it.

I have a feeling it may be caused by changing between mac and pc, but surely this could not be the cause? I am, at the moment, unable to try this out myself, but will try this out later this week.

I have had this problem for some time now, and (for the record) rebooting does not help.

I'm hoping you guys know what is going on This is driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Color difference between two documents with same settings
          DrStrik9 Level 4

Can you please give some detail on your "colour settings" for both systems?

• 2. Re: Color difference between two documents with same settings
            gator soup Level 4

I noticed a colourdifference when I dragged layers to new psd

first set Edit> ColorSettings: Color Management Policies to 3 Preserve and 3 Checks

that (like my screenshot) should alert you to the changes in .psd layers

CMSpolicies.jpg

the second part of your post -- changes occurring out side of Photoshop -- likely deal with profiles, if your app is color managed, if your files have embedded profiles

the discrepancies you see between monitors likely has everything to do with their default monitor profiles since, if the test app is unmanaged or not fully managed, it will not give you the theoretical 'true color' display as Photoshop using the correct Source Profile through a calibrated/profiled monitor...

• 3. Re: Color difference between two documents with same settings
              Grant H Level 4

the layer you are draging has a transparecy attribute applied (from an effect to opacity)

that means if the layer below is a different colour in each PSD the colour sample will change. (because of the transparency interaction with the layer below)

G

(I doubt that is a colour setting problem in this case) actually im 100% sure its transparency applied

• 4. Re: Color difference between two documents with same settings
                This_is_sd Level 1

@Grand H: Thank you for your reply, but this is not related to transparency. I checked that first thing

@gator soup: Thank you very much for the color settings tip! After checking these three boxes, the problematic psd's give me an error upon opening (other psd's are fine). It is saying that the file has an embedded color profile that does not match the current RGB working space. The standard settings on my mac (current system) is working with the same settings as in your screencapture. The embedded profile seems to be "Generic RGB Profile". I think perhaps my Windows system has this profile set to standard. I am not able to check this today but will do that tomorrow.

Schermafbeelding 2012-11-08 om 09.28.00.png

I am given three options, the only logical one seems to be the first one. This does solve the colour difference problem, but it also converts all of the RGB values to other values. So I think I need to fix the values of every element inside my document after converting. Do you perhaps know of any way to avoid this? It would really help!

Thank you all so much so far! You're really helping me out!

• 5. Re: Color difference between two documents with same settings
                  conroy Level 5

This_is_sd wrote:

I am given three options, the only logical one seems to be the first one. This does solve the colour difference problem, but it also converts all of the RGB values to other values.

I'm surprised that you say the first option, "Use embedded profile", changes a document's RGB values. It shouldn't, so maybe the document doesn't contain the RGB values that you expect.

So I think I need to fix the values of every element inside my document after converting. Do you perhaps know of any way to avoid this? It would really help!

What conversion do you refer to when writing "after converting"? I ask because that first open option should result in no conversion. It should open a document without changing RGB values and without changing the document's colour profile.

If you then want to change the document's profile without changing the RGB values, use "Edit > Assign Profile" and pick the profile you want (probably sRGB in your case).

(If you do want to change a document's profile and maintain its appearance in colour-managed apps, use "Edit > Convert to Profile", but that will result in changed RGB values.)

• 6. Re: Color difference between two documents with same settings
                    This_is_sd Level 1

Thanks a lot for your reply! Terribly sorry for my mistake, but I meant the converting option. Sorry for the confusion.

It seems there is no other way than to re-do all of the colours. A hell of a job, but at least now I know how to prevent this kind of stuff from happening in the future. And I am very grateful for that. A big thanks to everyone who helped me out!

• 7. Re: Color difference between two documents with same settings
                      gator soup Level 4

So I think I need to fix the values of every element inside my document after converting. Do you perhaps know of any way to avoid this?

you really need to get a handle on ICC profiles ASSIGN CONVERT

you are probably referring to Hex specified values (they seem to be tied to the profile/colorspace they are created in)

this is especially problematic on the Web -- here the short answer is to CONVERT your document to sRGB before you set the Hex values...

• 9. Re: Color difference between two documents with same settings
                        gator soup Level 4

thanks, tell all your friends...