16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 11:46 AM by Cornelia-I RSS

Files are accidentally deleted

urmeli3

Hi everybody! I use LR since version 1, now I am using LR 4 with Mac OS 10.8.2. Over the years I got familiar with using the keyboard for navigating and editing. Over the last months, something strange occurred regularly: I delete my best photos directly to the trash for an unknown reason. Usually I discover this when I try to switch back to them or see the trash filled. The images are not only removed from the catalogue but also from their directory. There is no confirmation message.

I have no idea what shortcut I (accidently) hit:

It is not

• backspace
      • cmd + backspace
      • alt + backspace

What can it be? I usually flag unwanted photos and delete them after a second review with cmd + backspace.

Thank you for your help.

Christoph

• 1. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
          urmeli3 Community Member

Dear forum, I have to activate this thread again. It is driving me nuts. I just edited one file within a collection and suddenly everything (about 100 photos) was gone in the trash. There was no redo possible and I had to import everything from the trash again, all the development progress was gone. Can you recommend a software that records every keystroke so that I can identify the problem?

I seriously need help. Everytime I use Lightroom I find deleted files afterwards.

Thank you,

Christoph

• 2. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
            Geoff the kiwi MVP

Christoph, it sounds like you may have some shortcut assigned by accident to the keyboard. Check in System Preferences/Keyboard.

Do you have any shortcuts assigned??

• 3. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
              urmeli3 Community Member

Hi, Geoff, thank you for your reply. There are no LR-related or other potentially dangerous shorcuts defined. In LR’s settings I reset "warnings", so it should display all warnings again. When I hit alt + backspace (removing file from library) nothing is displayed to me. This is not my problem (the files are removed from the file system), but maybe it is worth to be mentioned.

Do you know any internal shortcuts that delete without notification?

Best regards,

Christoph

• 4. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
                Geoff the kiwi MVP

Did you restart Lightroom and your computer??
                I have no other ideas I'm afraid as I have no shortcuts either! There is an instant delete unpublished command "Cmd-Opt-Shift-Delete" which will delete from collections as well with no warning.

• 5. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
                  urmeli3 Community Member

Hi Geoff,

I think I identified the problematic shortcut. It occurred after pressing SHIFT + SHIFT + L (independent from the period of time between pressing SHIFT) and afterwards it happend everytime I pressed L. I just demonstrated Lightroom to a friend and as before I lost with this "procedure" some good photos and since I had to reimport them their development progress.

Is this behaviour reproducible on other systems (here: latest Mac OS X). What additional information is necessary?

What should I do next? Reinstall Lightroom?

I wish everybody a pleasent New Year.

Best regards,

Christoph

• 6. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
                    web-weaver Community Member

Christoph,

I cannot reproduce this behavior on my Win 7 64-bit.

• 7. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
                      urmeli3 Community Member

Thank you web-weaver,

could anyone test under Mac OS X?

Best regards and a Happy New Year,

Christoph

• 8. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
                        Victoria Bampton LR Queen ACP/MVP

Are you pressing shift then pressing shift then pressing L?  Or holding them down together?  I've tried every combination I can think of on 10.8.2 and I can't reproduce it.  You could check System Preferences > Keyboard - I've had situations in the past where I've accidentally remapped shortcuts.

Other than that, what language OS and LR version?  Perhaps it's a specific combination.

• 9. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
                          urmeli3 Community Member

Hi Victoria! I just started Lightroom. Pressed L. Darker. L. Black. Another time L: Bright again, image deleted (the surrounding gets dark again for a short period of time in between). I have LR 4.3 and OS X 10.8.2 (German). I have no shortcut that uses L. There are just a few individual shortcuts for other applications at all.

Christoph

• 10. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
                            Cornelia-I Community Member

Hallo Christoph,

Do you run LR in German or English?

Do you have a translated strings text file, which remaps LR shortcuts to a German QWERTZ-keyboard?

I run LR in English with a German keyboard, and have created a file, on Win7 in:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4\Resources\en\TranslatedStrings.txt

If you run LR in German, you would have a folder ... \Resources\de.

What is in there? If you find a txt-file, have a look into it, if the letter L may be wrongly mapped (L for "löschen" maybe???)

Cornelia

• 11. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
                              Victoria Bampton LR Queen ACP/MVP

Cornelia-I wrote:

Do you run LR in German or English?

Do you have a translated strings text file, which remaps LR shortcuts to a German QWERTZ-keyboard?

On my wavelength yet again Cornelia!  That's exactly what I'm thinking.

• 12. Re: Files are accidentally deleted

Victoria Bampton wrote:

On my wavelength yet again Cornelia!  That's exactly what I'm thinking.

No wonder at all !

Since I claim you as my primary LR teacher, thanks to your wonderful "Missing LR FAQs"...

Cornelia

• 13. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
                                  urmeli3 Community Member

Hi Cornelia. I run LR i German with the preset shortcuts. There is a German translation file (for other languages as well) within the LR package, but I haven’t changed anything there and it isn't easy to read. Pressing L for the first or second time doesn’t change anything (I think it would delete then if it was a remapping probleme), it just deletes when switching from dark to bright.

I have a regularly and external backuped library. Is there anything else I should pay attention to before removing LR entirely and installing it again afterwards?

Have a nice weekend, Christoph

• 14. Re: Files are accidentally deleted

Hi Christoph,

I know that Mac Users generally like to de-&re-install applications very quickly.

In proceeding so you would hope that

Macintosh HD / Applications / Adobe Lightroom 4.app / Contents/ Resources /de.lrproj / TranslatedStrings.txt

would get replaced by a new-original one. Which you claim could not make any difference, since you had not touched the file yourself.

As others have indicated, you may have general Mac shortcuts outside LR, which may cause this side-effect.

You wrote in answer no.9: "There are just a few individual shortcuts for other applications at all."

Would you mind if you would first try to disable them temporarily, then redo your test in LR on some dummy images, which you may loose without regret (e.g. some export to jpg or original added to catalog while doing so)?

Do I understand correctly, that you can use the letter L to dim the background lights once-dim a bit (ok), twice-dim to black (ok), third time - lighten back up (not ok, because one or several images are splash-deleted, so removed from catalog as well as HD to trash bin) ?

What about the pressing of shift now? Any difference if you are in Develop module (I use the dimming usually to finetune my crops) or somewhere else?

How many images get deleted - just what you had selected at the time?

Of course you could just reinstall (make that a fresh download from Adobe, 4.3?) and then try your luck. If it is a side-effect of other short-cuts it will probably not help.

Good luck, Cornelia

• 15. Re: Files are accidentally deleted
                                      urmeli3 Community Member

Hi Cornelia! I disabled every individual shortcut I created. The problem persists (both in the Gallery and the Develop module).

After my first reinstall nothing changed. When I pressed L in the way you described it correctly it deleted the file. If there were several files selected it deleted them all without asking. When acting it on a virtual copy it wanted to delete this too, but presented a confirmation dialogue first.

Before the second reinstall I removed everything in my Library and /User/Library folder from Adobe (I just have LR). I started with an empty library and added a photo to it. When using L ist asked me after the third time "Do you want to remove the master photo from disk or just from your LR catalogue" (translation from the German prompt), the same options I see when I use backspace. When I tried it the second time there was no confirmation message anymore.

Then I found it (I believe this at least): I disabled everything I run in the background. A task manager, LaunchBar, Dropbox. And TextExpander (a tool for expanding snippets, you type "mfg" and it makes "Mit freundlichen Grüßen" and stuff like that). I have hundreds of snippets in LaunchBar and there it was: lll, pressing l three times. It is an odd shortcut, but I use it to paste content from the clipboard into double square brackets and place the coursor (square brackets are not so handy to type on a German keyboard, you have to press alt + 5 and alt + 6). In TextExpander syntax it looks like that: [[%clipboard]]%|.

I disabled TextExpander. Nothing was deleted in LR anymore. I enabled it, same problem like before. I disabled this snippet to be available in LR and this worked again (nothing was deleted but the snippet works everywhere else).

This is an odd problem (why results pasting the clipboard content within square brakets in deletion?) and I will get in touch with the TextExpander developers (btw: I just can recommend this tool otherwise. When I create snapshots in LR i often use it to expand short snippets to longer descriptions).

Thank you all for your great help. This problem is nothing you could have imagined, but still it was valuable help to me. Thank you for being so kind.

Christoph

PS: This problem comes from my rare configuration but results also in unexpected LR behavior (maybe because of problems with this kind of input into LR) – how can I forward it to Adobe for further review?

• 16. Re: Files are accidentally deleted

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for sharing the resolution to the mystery. So it was TextExpander creating odd input to LR like keyboard entries.

Should you want to fill titles and caption metadata, it might even have some use to leave it enabled, although LR is also good at auto-filling from last entries.

For further Review by Adobe you could post a question here in this other forum:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightro om

Cornelia