25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 7:50 AM by RalphBentley

INDD file on file server: terrible performance

eric.schwartz

Wondering if anyone has a solution to this issue...

Recently upgraded to CS6 (didn't notice this with CS4 or CS5).

We have several files that are very simple in composition (simple paragraph of text) and they are extremely slow when trying to edit the INDD file saved on our network file servers. The file has no external graphic links, no hyperlinks, and contains nothing more than a text block.

Symptom: whenever somebody opens the file and tries to edit the text, InDesign will freeze up for a few seconds, the menu bar disappears momentarily, and while trying to edit any text the process is extremely slow and glitchy.

This happens on both WinXP (4GB of RAM) and Windows 7 PCs with 16 GB of RAM.

It also happens in two different offices on different physical file servers (running Windows server).

The strange issue is if delete everything in the file, and then create a new text block and fill it with placeable text, the problem STILL persists. The file couldn't be simpler in content. Obviously the INDD files contain corrupted data or something that is causing this issue.

If we create new files from scratch, we don't see the problem nearly as often. But opening CS5 files and then saving (and/or re-packaging) in CS6 is the issue.

Temporary workaround: If we copy the INDD file to a user's desktop (local hard drive), the file behaves normally. But our workgroup operating procedures do not allow users to work from their hard drives. So this is not an option.

Can't find much on Google relating to this issue...so hoping someone here can shed some light.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
          nicksaemenes

I am having the exact same issues. Please fix this Adobe.

Some additinoal ill behavior descriptions that I imagine you are experiencing include:

1. I am not sure exactly how to explain this, but another thing InDesign is doing is that when I am finally able to select text (which takes about 30 seconds) I go to select a different font > the font list appears > I scroll with the mouse > The font list disappears (not the box, just the font names), the font list scroll bar grows to the full height of the list and then back to tiny, and then back and forth two more time (big then small, big then small). If I scroll again this process repeats. The other way to create this mysterious animation is to press a letter with the font list available. You would do this if you didn't want to scroll through 200 fonts (let's say) to get to Wingdings (for example) - you would just press "W" and the list would jump down to the first font name that starts with "W."
          2. Also, 9 times out of ten, If I just select a text box (by clicking on it once) and then press the "T" key to activate the type tool, Indesign will spend about 30-60 seconds trying to figure out what happened and then give up. The type tool will not be activated and I will be forced to click on it in the tool bar. I am not so irrational of a person as to say that I couldn't just click on the type tool in the tool bar instead of using a keyboard shortcut that should work anyway, but even when I click on it - it takes 15-30 seconds to activate the type tool.

For anyone that using InDesign on a regular basis, you can understand that this is unacceptable and unbearable behavior.

Adobe, Please fix this.

• 2. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
            janericster Level 1

To nicksaemenes:

I have posted this issue on the official Adobe bug form, so please do the same so Adobe can review since that is the official method for someone at Adobe to review and escalate the issue.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

In the meantime, we will have to work on these files locally on our hard drives which is a potential disaster for version control in our workgroup environment, but we have no choice until Adobe can figure this one out.

• 3. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
              nicksaemenes Level 1

So, I have been working with our I.T. dept. to narrow down the scope of these issues and have found that the culprit seems to be the "Document Fonts" folder that gets created when a file is packaged.

You might say, that cannot be, I had the issues with a completely new document, with nothing but a text box, that had not even been saved, let alone packaged. To which I would ask, Did you have a packeged document open while performing this test? If so, the problem would remain.

The problem is in the fact that the packeged document (stored on the server) looks for fonts in the "Document Fonts" folder (also on the server), it finds them and then repeats the process endlessly (looks for font > finds font,  looks for font > finds font) it doesn't ever stop looking for the fonts even though it finds them. This is the real problem that Adobe needs to fix.

Here is the (temporary) solution (i.e. workaround), until Adobe fixes the real problem:

Either remove or rename the "Documents Fonts" folder. This will force InDesign to look elsewhere for the fonts. The place InDesign looks next is the local fonts folder, it finds the font and all is well. It doesn't keep looking for the found font - it just works!

This is why, when you move a INDD to the desktop (local hard drive) it works also, it can't find the "Document Fonts" folder and so it looks locally.

Please, for the sake of "workgroup operating procedures" do not have your designers working from their local hard drives. As you said "this is not an option." Although the workaround I outlined is not ideal, knowing what the culprit is allows a very minimal change is processes for the deisgners and will likely cause far fewer issues in the long haul. 

I hope this helps!

P.S. my I.T. guy will be posting this to the official Adobe bug form. Thanks for supplying the link.

• 4. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                janericster Level 1

That's GREAT!  (Well, not great, but at least a doable workaround until Adobe fixes this dang thing)!

Thanks for the info and I'll let everyone know on my end. It definitely helps when I deleted the font folder as well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything!

Eric

• 5. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                  nicksaemenes Level 1

No problem, You don't know (or maybe you do) what a relief it was to find your initial post - to know that I wasn't the only one with this problem.

Please keep me posted to any other developments you may come across.

Nick

• 6. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                    ar3t

I'm absolutely stunned. This is ridiculous Adobe.. 6 months later, and this problem still exist, and the only bloody solution is to rename the font folder every time you make a package on a server with InDesign 6?

• 7. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                      Pickory Level 3

Hello,

I know this is not the solution, more of a help to your work around.

Maybe a script to do this automatically for you, before open and after close?

P.

• 8. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                        ar3t Level 1

Hello Pickory

This might be a good time to take up scripting then i guess.

Could you perhaps point me in the right direction, regarding a script that could do such a thing? (perhaps rename the name of the font folder when you make a package in InDesign 6?)

• 9. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                          Pickory Level 3

Hello,

You could post a request on the scripting forum.

I was thinking of doing this on the before open and before close events. This way the font folder stays intact, ready for use if the document is moved else where.

I have already started on this, I will post the code if I get it working.

P.

• 10. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                            ar3t Level 1

Clever Sounds like a great workaround. Hope you get it figured out, i'll check back later

• 11. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                              Pickory Level 3

Hello,

This has only been test on my Macs local disk. No attempt at error checking either.

//DESCRIPTION: Rename the font folder.

//www.kerntiff.co.uk

//A startup script

#targetengine "session"

main ( );

function main ( )

{

app.eventListeners.add ( "beforeOpen", my_beforeOpen );

app.eventListeners.add ( "beforeClose", my_beforeClose );

}

function my_beforeOpen ( e )

{

if ( e.constructor.name != "DocumentEvent" )

return;

var fld = Folder ( e.fullName.path + "/" + "Font Folder" );

if ( fld.exists )

{

fld.rename ( "xFont Folder" );

}

}

function my_beforeClose ( e )

{

return;

var fld = Folder ( e.fullName.path + "/" + "xFont Folder" );

if ( fld.exists )

{

fld.rename ( "Font Folder" );

}

}

• 12. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                ar3t Level 1

I'm about to test it, but i'm a little uncertain about the file extension/suffix used here, should it be a .js file or .spt or something else?

Testing on a Windows machine

• 13. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                  Pickory Level 3

Hello,

It should be .jsx, you put the file into your startup scripts folder and restart ID.

I think you might have to change the folder seperator character "/", not sure to what at the moment. I thought the "/" was windows and ":" mac, but it seems to work on mac.

Also, is the folder called "Font Folder" or "Fonts Folder"?

I will be able to work on a windows machine later and make it cross platform.

P.

• 14. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                    ar3t Level 1

Hey there.

I changed the document name folder to "Document Fonts", as that's what it's saved as here.

It seems to work great without the changing of "/".

Is there a way for scripts to automatically be loaded on startet in InDesign? I had to Open IDD, then run the script in the script panel manually.

• 15. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                      Pickory Level 3

It worked on Win 8 too. Still can't get to grips with 8.

There should be a folder called "Startup Scripts", drop it in there.

• 16. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                        Pickory Level 3

The big question.......does actually fix your problem?

P.

• 17. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                          ar3t Level 1

Had to make the folder myselfe.

It works like a charm! You're badass

• 18. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                            Pickory Level 3

Here is the corrected script.

===============================

//DESCRIPTION: Rename the font folder.

//www.kerntiff.co.uk

//A startup script

#targetengine "session"

main ( );

function main ( )

{

app.eventListeners.add ( "beforeOpen", my_beforeOpen );

app.eventListeners.add ( "beforeClose", my_beforeClose );

}

function my_beforeOpen ( e )

{

return;

var fld = Folder ( e.fullName.path + "/" + "Document Fonts" );

if ( fld.exists )

{

fld.rename ( "xDocument Fonts" );

}

}

function my_beforeClose ( e )

{

return;

var fld = Folder ( e.fullName.path + "/" + "xDocument Fonts" );

if ( fld.exists )

{

fld.rename ( "Document Fonts" );

}

}

• 19. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                              RalphBentley Level 1

Glad I found this.  I have been having this exact problem (windows 7 system in a networked workgroup environment).  The last post here is from August of last year.  Guess this is still an unresolved issue. I will start by testing the folder rename workaround. Maybe try that script...

It is truly a paralyzing error. Completely takes it down.

• 20. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                                btkmr5

The above solutions works perfectly. How has adobe not corrected the problem after 2 years?

Completely unacceptable.

• 21. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                                  RalphBentley Level 1

Sorry, but I am still a bit at sea here. What folder is being renamed? Is this the folder resulting from a Package operation?

In CS5, on a Win 7 system, the package operation created a folder for the document with two sub  folders: “Links”, and “Fonts”.

In CS6, the two folders are named: “Links”, and “Document fonts”. Since I am having this problem with non-packaged document files, I’m not sure how effective this script will be.

In addition to the fonts in the package folder, there are the folders

C:\Windows\Fonts

and

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS6\Fonts

My question would be, how does an InDesign file know/decide where to load fonts from?

This seems to be a corrupted file problem. The question is, how does the document become corrupted?

I have documents where the Find Fonts window shows two or three fonts with the same name.

The fonts list elevator bar does a freaky yoyo dance when I try to select one.

The only real cure is to rebuild the document from zero, and then pay close attention to what we paste in there.

• 22. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                                    btkmr5 Level 1

Yes it is the folder created when you package the document. I am running CS6 so my folder is "Document Fonts".

Also, in regards to your additional font folders on the local drive I do not have any fonts within the InDesign fonts folder, so i cannot attest to that issue.

• 23. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                                      RalphBentley Level 1

So, the script would not apply to problems with unpackaged documents.

I have deleted all files from my

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS6\Fonts

and everything seems about the same.

Also, the folder created by indd CS6 package operation is "Document fonts" with lower case f. My understanding is that Windows file/folder names are not case sensitive, but...

• 24. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                                        Doc Maik Level 4

nicksaemenes schrieb:

The problem is in the fact that the packeged document (stored on the server) looks for fonts in the "Document Fonts" folder (also on the server), it finds them and then repeats the process endlessly (looks for font > finds font,  looks for font > finds font) it doesn't ever stop looking for the fonts even though it finds them. This is the real problem that Adobe needs to fix.

Since I don't have the problem with CS6, being working on a network drive since ever, and since it is also illogical, I'd say this is nonsense. That folder just contains copies of the font files used by the document. ID does not look there, not even if you wouldn't have these fonts installed. Means, if you give the package to someone else, he/she would have to install the fonts first before opening the INDD, else ID would do font substitution. Fonts cannot be loaded if not installed in the system font folder.

Perhaps this is all because of some font manager running in the background.

• 25. Re: INDD file on file server: terrible performance
                                                          RalphBentley Level 1

Thank you.

I had originally thought that the purpose of the Document Fonts folder was to deliver the fonts files to the user; that the recipient would take the font files and install them in their Windows\Fonts folder.

This is a case of the program attempting too much. A stable and consistent, well-running program would have one place only to reference font files from. All this other jiggery-pokery is just asking for trouble.

So, maybe just delete the "Document Fonts" folder and force it to look in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder... ?

I will let you know how that works out.