14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2015 12:59 AM by ertugrule28609216

Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???

chuckstefen

Regarding the graphic appearance of finished forms created using FormsCentral - I wonder if I'm missing something. I've used Adobe's awesome design tools for many years and recently subscribed to Adobe Creative Cloud which I think is a pretty convenient service for staying up to date at a reasonable cost (thanks), but then there's FormsCentral which seems to have the creative look of third-rate generic form building tools found randomly on-line somewhere. Is there a control panel somewhere that I missed that gives me access to the awesome design power that I've grown to love in adobe or did you guys feel that forms weren't important enough to look good?

PLEASE tell me that there is more. Interactive forms are a must have and a challenge for designers who lack programming skills.

• 1. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???
          RandySwineford Adobe Employee

FormsCentral isn't focused at designers. Its focused at enabling "normal" business users (like a marketing manager, accountant, sales person) who have no design skills to create and collect data using professional looking forms. Its really geared towards the broad Acrobat market, not creative professionals.

Sorry we disappointed you.

Randy

• 2. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???
            chuckstefen Level 1

Randy,

Thanks for responding. I'm really lost in the search of forms. I can be flexible in regards to design but I need a little bit more. Unfortunately I lack the html and css skills needed to write code myself. Is there ANY thing in the adobe arsenal or outside referral that can help?

• 3. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???

I should have asked this previously... what is missing from FormsCentral that would make it a better fit for you? I had incorrectly assumed you wanted to add custom CSS styles to our forms.

If you are flexible on design, don't have HTML/CSS skills then you are starting to sound a little like a normal business user. You feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy

• 4. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???
                chuckstefen Level 1

The templates that you have available do seem to have the fields that I'm looking for when I need to create a form. Therefore I opt for the custom form. The first issue is that the form doesn't allow much custom line depth capacity (the distance between a top field and the next field directly below it. There as always huge gaps of line space between two fields and the published end result simply does not loot attractive. I have seen plenty of forms out there on other websites that have sharp line spacing between fields, so I know it is possible to create such a look. Although I assume the developer of those sites have the html/css skills necessary to creat such a look. Given this fact, I am still Adobe of all solutions can not provide a tool that can provide the same graphic range.The first thing I was taught as a graphic designer was the importance of character kerning and proper line spacing.

For example: I needed a simple newsletter opt-in form including the name and email address. What I was able to produce with FormsCentral was a form that I was able to reduce to 300x300px but it should have been created with a height no greater than 200px with only 2 fields in the form.

I published an incomplete site design for you to see what I mean at www.cabinetsourcedirect.com

Please take a look at the form in the lower right corner. 1st: there is too much space in the title bar, 2nd: there is too much space above and directly below the name field, 3rd: too much space below the email field and 4th: the send bar has too much line space consistent with the title bar above. Also the send button just appears down-right simple for Adobe standards.

The next thing, and I am completely baffled here, when I copy and embed the form link into my page, there is a HUGE (vacant) extended container window that forces the footer depth of my site far below where the reasonable eye would expect. Note: in the site sample, the space at the bottom of the home page, this depth was forced down by the this 2 field form. Had I not embedded the form I would have been able to end the page about an inch below the two cabinet boxes.

I could go on but these are the greatest issues for me at this point. If it weren't for these issues, I would say that FormsCentral was what I would expect from Adobe.

• 5. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???

Thank you for providing this level of detail - it is very helpful. There are a few things you could try to make the form a little closer to what you might be looking for (though we can't meet all of your requirements)

• There is an option to put the fields labels on the left side of the fields. That would give you a tighter layout
                  • The embed code has an option to not show the header and to have a transparent background. If you remove the header you can just put a simple static text string above the form fields for the main form title. You could put your own background behind it to make it look better on your website.

I'm forwarding this issue you brought up to our engineering team to investigate.

Randy

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???
                    chuckstefen Level 1

Thank you.

Although - as in your first suggestion, placing the fields label on the left side of the field (in the url sample that I provided) caused the field text area to decrease substantially in width, as if the container required a minimum space width of 100px from the furthest left wall in the margin of the container to the field name followed by the distance allowable between the field name and field text area which left only a text area of about 50px wide before the right side margin.

Your second suggestion might give me a bit more creative freedom. Although I am surprised that Adobe, the leading name in creative design solutions can not provide a better form building tool.

I appreciate you assistance.

• 7. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???

The field label width is adjustable - you can drap the left side of the innner field rectangle.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???
                        chuckstefen Level 1

Yes I know. However, as you can see by the following link

https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=8pck4OshNRUqf7XruLbF9g

I wanted a form width set for 300px. When I attempted to drag the field area box to the left, vertical line edge guide was appears indicating a minimum left margin of 100px, when I attempt to expand drag the field the right, a 97px guide appears.

I plan to design using your previous suggestion of pasting the form w/transparent background inside of my own design.

However, can you explain why the forms have a vacant container fieldextended so far below the actual image area of the form?

• 9. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???

>> However, can you explain why the forms have a vacant container fieldextended so far below the actual image area of the form?

I forwarded this to one of our engineers to look at. He may follow-up with you if he needs more info.

Randy

• 10. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???

I just got this back from our eng team:

The page has a style file Index.css with ‘#page { min-height: 1078px; }’.  If I remove the style the page boundary shrinks to just below the images and our form.

We don't think its our form causing the problem.

• 11. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???
                              chuckstefen Level 1

Are there any instructions available to help me "remove the style" from the page on my site?

Also, is it possible to locate the "Field Text" closer to the "Field Area" (reduce the line spacing below the Field Text)?

• 12. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???

I think you can just remove the line from the CSS.

There is no way to reduce the space below/above fields.

Randy

• 13. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???
                                  laurinab

Wow, I am a business user who knows Adobe and I agree.  No wonder Adobe is getting rid of Forms Central, it is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!  I love Adobe products but have to see elsewhere for Forms.  I can't control the spacing and we need a form to fit on 81/2 by 11 and this is useless.  Gaps of spacing, ridiculous.  Will find another software for all our forms and there are many upon many and in this software can't fit on a regular page and the others I can.

• 14. Re: Where is the Power of ADOBE in FormsCentral???
                                    ertugrule28609216 Level 1

Try JotForm Form Designer. You can import your forms to JotForm and then open them in the Form Designer and change the size and spacing as you wish.