5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2013 10:47 AM by dulajun

"Live Snippets" an idea sculpted out from a giant project.

dulajun Level 2

Hi, all the enthusiastic members

I intend to distribute an open source and free script collection, that lets the user to export a selected text to an Incopy file and observing and synchronising the relation between the exported file and its instances inside the indesign document in a semi-automatic way. And that by the following scripts:

http://sites.google.com/site/livesnippet/javascript-files

live_snippets_startup.jsx - has finished.

Initiate the dialogs and the essential styles, elements and variables to be ready for the other scripts.

new_from_the_selection.jsx - has finished.

This export the selected text (and only the selected - not the story) as a new InCopy file to a folder called "live_snippets" inside the document's parent folder. These InCopy files named automatically with four digits like this file "live_snippet.0006.incx".

The selected text enclosed with starting and ending marks by adding small anchored text frames with nonprinting attribute and labeling these text frames with the snippet number (the number of the Incopy file).

check_the_document.jsx - has finished.

Check and states of the instances with their Incopy files. and mark the modified and missing snippets by spoiling the font style of the starting anchored text frame contents so they appear in the preflight panel. And changing the colors of the modified snippet to blue and missing ones with red.

submit_this_modification.jsx - hasn't finished yet.

Modify the snippet (the Incopy file) by re-exporting the instance that the text cursor inside it.

update_this_instance.jsx - I haven't started with it.

placing the snippet (the Incopy file) to update the selected instance (by selecting the starting anchored text frame or by putting the text cursor inside the snippet.

place_snippet.jsx - I haven't started with it.

place a snippet in the text cursor location without having to browse to the live_snippets folder (only getting the snippet number is enough).

I will continue until the collection reach a perfect stage and has a comprehensive abilities.

The current features:

You can choose to place the snippet so the instance follow it with formatting or without formatting.

You can add a description to the snippet which stored in the file meta data.

Intended features:

You can nested the snippets so it's possible to exclude partitions from the snippet to be in variety. Also in this feature you can change the order of the sub-snippets inside their parent so the global layout and the decorative elements could be changed permanantly and easily.

I want to put these files on an online service (the google site is temporarily) , web site or forum so we can make our modification, online read and write code, supply our comments on the code lines and functions level, showing the downloads count, tracing the versions...

So, is it available in this forum tools, because I tried to add the files from New>Document in my forum page and faced with a forbidden message.

Also I hope if any one see that this approach is an unnecessary repeating of existing InDesign tools or plugins already in the market. Please tell me.

Screen shot 2012-11-12 at 8.48.23 AM.png

When creating. The "With Format" option is set as default but you can change it for every instance (Not done yet) to its own option.

Screen shot 2012-11-12 at 8.52.39 AM.png

These anchored text frames have nonprinting attribute, but we could print it by modifying the export or print options in reviewing stages so the numbers can be used as a reference in emails and broadly modifications

Screen shot 2012-11-12 at 8.56.13 AM.png

When the achieve the ability to nested the snippets so we can in this question example change the points and assure that all questions have the same wording.

Screen shot 2012-11-12 at 8.56.53 AM.png

The small circle indicate that the instances shares only the contents without the format.

Screen shot 2012-11-08 at 1.32.55 PM.png

The Incopy files created automatically without the need to specify the location or name.