3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 8:41 AM by Rick Gerard

How do I create a 3D can with a moving camera?

quinnygoth Level 1

Hello

I'm trying to make a 3D soda can in After Effects and I'm having some trouble. Below are links to two images. The first is a rough storyboard of what I want to happen in the animation. The second is the path that I want the camera to go along.

http://tinypic.com/r/k2l5d0/6

http://tinypic.com/r/33ygsbo/6

In the first shot it's just white. Then the camera flys over a long shadow. It tilts up to see a can. It moves up the length of the can and then dips down in to the opening, where the animation will go black.

I've tried applying the CC Cyliner effect to a high res vector image of the soda can. However, this effect seems to crop the bottom and top of the design. Moreover, I'm having trouble figuring out the best way of controlling the camera.

Can anybody help me out? Is this beyond After Effects?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How do I create a 3D can with a moving camera?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sorry, but you don't want to use AE to build this can.

You would go absolutely nuts trying to get things to look right.  Not to mention the time-consuming tricks that work for only one move.  You'd have to jump through a boatload of hoopes just to get something -- think in terms of days or weeks -- and then if you changed your mind, you'd jave to jump through them all over again.

You'll want to use a 3D application. 

• 2. Re: How do I create a 3D can with a moving camera?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Agree with Dave. A 3D app would be much more suitable. If you're realyl stuck with Ae only, as a minor your should look into Video CoPilot's Element. It comes with an oky cola can mesh even. If even that's out of the question, the smart tip of the day would be to not bother with any effects like CC Cylinder or any of that but rather use a photograph or illustration of a can as a normal 3D layer after suitably preparing it in Photoshop or whatever...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How do I create a 3D can with a moving camera?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Boris 3D objects might do it. Element might work. Zax will for sure. Conoa might also, but you're much better off in a 3D app. Blender + AE will do the task without any financial investment. Doing the whole thing inside AE with stock tools is going to be a real problem because a soda can isn't perfectly cylindrical. This doesn't mean it can't be done. It just means that you can do it much and more efficiently by marrying a 3D app and a compositing app.