3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 7:35 PM by Bill Gehrke

Disk Performance

flbreen Level 1

Since I built my CS5 PC more than  two years ago the the motherboards now support SATA 6Gb/s.

Does a SATA 6Gb/s port work twice as fast as a SATA 3Gb/s port with a 7200 RPM hard disk drive?

Do you need a faster disk drive to take advantage of a SATA 6Gb/s port?

Is it a good idea to use a 10000 RPM hard disk for OS and Adobe Suite?

Is it a good idea to use a 10000 RPM hard disk for Media Cashe Files?

Is it a good idea to use the stock CPU cooler it you are NOT planning to over clock your PC editor?

• 1. Re: Disk Performance
          Harm Millaard Level 7

For a single HDD there is no performance difference between SATA 3G and 6G. For SSD there is a difference, depending on the brand/model of the SSD.

When using On-board raid, you may find a slight performance advantage in using SATA 6G with HDD's. The increased cache of 64 MB over 32 MB on modern SATA 6G disks help more than SATA 6 versus SATA 3G. Raptors are faster than 7200 disks, but the differences are small and may not be worth the price.

If you want a real improvement in performance, get a dedicated raid controller and lots of 24/7 disks. Exporting a three (3) hour PAL DV timeline to PAL DV on my system takes around 20-21 seconds, despite a file size of 36.2 GB, which translates to around 1800 MB/s transfer rate. In comparison a single HDD may achieve something like 130 to 170 MB/s.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Disk Performance
            flbreen Level 1

I am thinking of a new 6 x HDD 7200 system to run CS6:

#1 HDD  - 1TB - OS & Pr

#2 HDD  - 1TB -

#3 HDD  - 1TB - #2, #3, & #4 - Raid 0 - Pr Projects & Media Cashe

#4 HDD  - 1TB -

#5 HDD  - 3TB - Raw Footage 1

#6 HDD  - 3TB - Raw Footage 2

My plan is to fill #5 HDD with raw footage until it is nearly full then start filling #6 HDD with raw footage.

When #6 HDD is nearly full I will quick format #5 HDD and I will start filling #5 HDD again.

With this strategy I never haver to defragrement #5 HDD & #6 HDD.

• 3. Re: Disk Performance
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I want to agree with Harm.  But let me fine tune his general information above with a bit of some recent experience.  You have a two year old motherboard like I do in one system.  Harm has said correctly that the current generation of hard drives typified by my Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN1 with the right controller can reach into the 130 to 170 MB/s range as you can see here:

I must add that you have to carefully analyze the data on this picture.  The big spike on this is the writing to cache, but notice over the whole of the disk drive the average writing rate is 162.4 MB/second.  Below is the read rate for this same drive with the same (older) Areca 1880ix controller.  This controller is a PCIe v2.0 interface and it has SATA III 6Gb/second interfaces. 

Now here is the Write performance of the same drive on a Z68 motherboard on the 3 Gb/second port.

And here is the Read performance:

Notice how both Write and Read performance are bottlenecked with some bandwidth limiting about 3/4 of the disk.  I do not know if this is because of the 3 Gb interface or the Intel ICH-R10 chipset.and since I am writing on this computer I cannot shift the drive to the faster interface without turning it off..  Also the HD Tune Pro that I am using has been upgraded between these two sets of data.  Also as Harm has hinted above we may have a new PPBM Disk I/O benchmark soon, and guess what there even might be a Mac version!

You would be getting ~160 MB/seconds versus 125 MB/second in Writing to most of the drive.  Now I will shut down and try moving the drive to an Intel 6 Gb interface

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Well I had the new data on this disk on the 6 Gb interface long time ago but because the forums were inaccessible I could not add these last two plots until now.

Here is that same drive as above on the Intel ICH-10R with (I think) this version of software INTEL\IRST\

The write performance:

The read performance:

As you can see putting a SATA III drive on a 3 Gb SATA II port wastes a lot of Read Write performance.  When motherboards are available with all 6 Gb ports I might consider a new one.