7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 3:37 PM by Noel Carboni

Is there a way to pan while zoomed out?

Trbo32323

This is something I found frustrating while using CS4 and never got around to finding out if there was a way around it. Now that I am using CS6 I took a look around the preferences and did not see anything that will allow me to pan around an image while I am viewing the whole image. This becomes rather frustrating when I am working on the edge of a photo and using a brush tool as the way PS is set up pretty much forces me to work right next to my tool bars and more than once I have accidentally clicked on another tool rather than starting my brush stroke off the edge of my work like I want to.

anyone know a way around this?

thanks

• 1. Re: Is there a way to pan while zoomed out?
          conroy Level 5

I'm unaware of a way to pan when in "Standard Screen Mode" and a document is smaller than its window. The "Full Screen" modes do allow panning at all times. Press F key to cycle through "Standard", "Full Screen with Menu Bar" and "Full Screen". Tab key hides/displays panels and toolbars in all modes.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to pan while zoomed out?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

I've always felt this arbitrary inability to pan when the image could actually fit but ability to pan well beyond the edge when it doesn't quite fit is discordant thing - I'd go so far as to call it a design bug.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Is there a way to pan while zoomed out?
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you zoom out a little further to give your self more room or would it be too small of a working area to see it good?

I think it's more of a mentality thing, in that the programmers are assuming since you can see the edge you can access just fine. But I can see your point, especially when using the brush tool where you would be doing more clicking.

Edit: This post was @Trbo32323, I accidently clicked on Noel's reply icon, Sorry about that.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to pan while zoomed out?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Thing is, there are a lot of things that extend past the edge of the canvas that you might want to have control of.  For example, let's say you're transforming a layer and its handles are out past the edges.  Or you want to rotate it and need to drag outside the edges of the transform box.  Or maybe select with a feathered selection out past the edge so you can ensure it's fully selected to the edge.

If Photoshop wants to make sure some part of the image remains on the screen, fine - stop it from being panned completely out of sight.  But there's not a fundamental difference between what you might need to do to an image that *just* fits and one that *just* doesn't fit, yet there IS a fundamental difference in whether it pans or not.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Is there a way to pan while zoomed out?
                  emil emil Level 4

Silkrooster wrote:

Could you zoom out a little further to give your self more room or would it be too small of a working area to see it good?

I think it's more of a mentality thing, in that the programmers are assuming since you can see the edge you can access just fine. But I can see your point, especially when using the brush tool where you would be doing more clicking.....

While zooming out can workaround for most things the biggest pain from this is, as you guessed, with using brushes, the image shows clearly the problem - the brush stroke at the top can not be done if you start dragging right from the edge, you have to start dragging beyond the edge. The stroke at the bottom shows how it will look dragging right from the edge. This is a real pain for people who use Photoshop for illustrations and paintings. Full screen modes are not an alternative, at least for me, because I work referring to to at least one additional window which is an instance of the same image at zoomed out view to make sure I'm not lost in the details when doing creative work, and in general I have a lot of other images as references that I need to see all the time.

Untitled-2.jpg

edit: with this particular brush example it may seem an easy workaround is to start dragging in the other direction from the canvas to outside which Photoshop allows but first most brushes are with a specific shape that goes in a certain direction and second for an artist this will be like switching right to left handed or trying to right backwards.

edit2: here's a better example. Started from the edge the brush is at the middle of its shape there and the applied stylus pressure needs some distance to get it right which is not possible by starting right at the edge.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 6. Re: Is there a way to pan while zoomed out?
                    Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The way to get around this is little-known but super useful if you need it. There is a pack of optional free plug-ins that alter the behavior of Photoshop, and a couple of these plug-ins enable what Adobe calls "overscroll" behavior. I use the one called Overscroll Always and I think this is the one you want. It will let you pan freely in any of the window modes.

You can get the Overscroll Always plug-in by downloading the Optional Extensions for Mac OS Only. I don't know why these aren't available for Windows. After you unzip it, drag Overscroll Always.plugin into your Plug-ins folder inside the Adobe Photoshop CS6 folder. Like any plug-in, it will also work if you drag it into a sub-folder inside the Plug-ins folder.

I would not recommend installing all of the optional plug-ins. Only the ones you have a legitimate need for; read up on them first (see link below). Also, I don't think you need the Overscroll Floating Windows plug-in because that's already covered by Overscroll Always, and also the two plug-ins seem to cause a conflict if installed together.

If you want more info about the optional downloads, here's the Adobe help file about them. They give you lots of ways to alter Photoshop behavior.

Photoshop Help / Downloadable Content (Plug-ins) in Photoshop CS6

These plug-ins aren't new, I've been using them for several Photoshop versions. If you need these plug-ins for earlier versions of Photoshop you will need to hunt them down separately.

• 7. Re: Is there a way to pan while zoomed out?
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Of course, that's Mac-only stuff.

No equivalent registry tweak was ever made available by Adobe, to the best of my knowledge, for PC users.

-Noel