2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 1:05 AM by GenericPerson1958

List of down-level browsers?

lcg_2012 Level 1

I've been googling without much luck for a list of downlevel browsers so that I can redirect to alternative content (not a poster image). But I can't find a list of which version of the browsers is the "fail" zone. I found a site that scores browsers, but it doesn't really let me know if my animation will work on them. I know IE8 and below, what else? What version does animation fail on Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

I guess I could just detect for mobile and serve up the Adobe Edge Animation. If it is anything else, serve up the backup SWF.

Just not sure if that is the best way to go.

• 1. Re: List of down-level browsers?
          lcg_2012 Level 1

I decided to just look for mobile and if so, serve up the HTML5. If it is a PC, visitors will see flash. They're identical so as long as they see the animation, I'm good.

I used this code in the HTML file of the Adobe Edge Animate:

<script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[ 

var mobile = (/iphone|ipad|ipod|android|blackberry|mini|windows\sce|palm/i.test(navigator.userAgent.to LowerCase())); 

if (mobile) { 

}  else {

document.location = "myFlash.html";

}

// ]]></script>

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: List of down-level browsers?
            GenericPerson1958

Thanks lcg_2012 for sharing, this seems like a clever trick, I plan to use it in one of my projects as well.

To ensure my bases are covered,

here we are assuming that all the mobile devices would support edge project.

Can I assume this to be valid for atleast 90% of the mobile devices in US market?

or, in other words, Do all leading mobile device browsers support edge project?

Thanks in advance.