5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 6:36 AM by Peter Spier

Excluding sections from numbering?

lucif3rka

Is there any way to exclude certain sections from overall numbering? I would like to have unnumbered heading pages before each chapter with TOC of the following chapter.

I am using InDesign CS6 on a x64 Win7 machine.

• 1. Re: Excluding sections from numbering?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Create a new section fort each of the un-numbered pages and assign a different numbering style so ID doesn't complain about duplicate page numbers, and then a new section again on the following page and start the numbering where you need it. Aiisigne a master without a page number marker to those pages that should be un-numbered.

If you don't really mean that the unnumbered pages should interrupt the logical page numbering, and all you really want is for them not to carry a page number, just assign a master with no marker.

• 2. Re: Excluding sections from numbering?
            lucif3rka Level 1

But I want just that - for them not to interrupt the numbering!

I have already done what you described - I have "O" prefix with arabic numbers for the content and "N" prefix with "a,b,c,d" numbering style for the pages in between. The unnumbered pages have a master, that only has a color background and the content has a page number assigned with the master.

As you can hopefully see from the attched image, InDesign goes from O29 to O31 and not 30, which is how I would like it to be. Is there any other option besides manually entering the number in the "Start Page Numbering at:" option?

indesign_numbering.JPG

Thank you again,

Urška

• 3. Re: Excluding sections from numbering?

I'm not able to log in at the moment, but I was able to see your image. I think the problem is in your setting for starting numbering. You need to explicitly pick the starting number, not use automatic page numbering.

• 4. Re: Excluding sections from numbering?
                lucif3rka Level 1

I have it working like that at the moment, manually entering numbers, telling InDesign from where to start numbering again. It's just that if I decide to add a page somewhere in between, the whole manual numbering process has to be repeated. I hoped there was an automatic way to have multiple numberings intertwined across multiple sections. Oh well, I guess I will just have to add the chapter TOCs at the end, when all content is finalized!

• 5. Re: Excluding sections from numbering?

That's the way it works, sorry. Index and TOC generation are usually best left to last steps as you just wind up having to update them anyway. The only purpose I can see for doing them earlier is to get some idea of the space requirement, but that's a pretty slim reason, in my opinion.