5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 3:59 PM by Fiedlern RSS

Multicam audio levels/meters??? - Premiere CS6

DMH79 Community Member

Is there a way to see the audio meters while in the multicam window?

The audio plays fine but is there really no way to monitor the audio to see if its peaking or not, or what level its at, unless I stop the multicam and play it in the timeline?

Screen shot 2012-11-08 at 8.53.51 PM.png

All the source clips, all the timeline clips, all the project window clips all enable the audio levels/meters.

Why not the multicam? Seems odd.

• 1. Re: Multicam audio levels/meters??? - Premiere CS6
          JSS1138 Community Member

You'd normally not worry about this from the multicam window.  That's for cutting between clips.  Once that's done, you go back to the sequence for tweaking and further editing, such as CC, effects and audio.

• 2. Re: Multicam audio levels/meters??? - Premiere CS6
            DMH79 Community Member

Jim Simon wrote:

You'd normally not worry about this from the multicam window.  That's for cutting between clips.  Once that's done, you go back to the sequence for tweaking and further editing, such as CC, effects and audio.

Hahaha. Jim Simon, while I do appreciate your help in many posts, I'm starting to learn that you are the king of "that's not what I care about so it must not be important".

The fact is that just saying "don't worry about it" is pretty lame and unhelpful. Audio is the other half of what editors deal with so I kinda do need to worry about it. To say just come back and do it later is SOOOO counter-productive especially when you are dealing with a mulitcam sequence of say an hour or more. With only a two camera shoot, there's not always a lot going on that I can't keep an eye on the audio meter at the same time. Now, imagine if the audio meters DID work like they should here and while in the multicam window I see that the audio peak 45 minutes into my edit. Well, now I can stop and quickly fix that and I won't have to go back and watch the first 45 minutes again because I know the audio is solid. Common sense. Of course stopping toggles off the record button which Premiere has decided would be a great time to force an unintended cut and angle switch in your timeline...but that's another story.   I was just hoping there was a way to enable the audio meters to work like they do everywhere else. Unless someone else has any hot ideas or there's a way to somehow enable it, I guess I'll throw another penny into the Premiere wishing well.

• 3. Re: Multicam audio levels/meters??? - Premiere CS6
              JSS1138 Community Member

Audio is the other half of what editors deal with so I kinda do need to worry about it.

Agreed.  Just not from the MC window, but from the sequence where you can actually make changes and adjust things.

I'm starting to learn that you are the king of "that's not what I care about so it must not be important".

It's actually more often a "how can I get this job done with the tools and features that are available to me right now" kind of attitude.

• 4. Re: Multicam audio levels/meters??? - Premiere CS6
                DMH79 Community Member

Audio is the other half of what editors deal with so I kinda do need to worry about it.

Agreed.  Just not from the MC window, but from the sequence where you can actually make changes and adjust things.

Then why do the audio meters work when playing clips in the project window? Yes, the sequence is where changes are made but being able to monitor what a clip looks like or sounds like outside of the timeline is essential to any good NLE. It's not editing, it's monitoring. Just an oversight on Premiere Pro's design that I hope they fix asap.

Jim Simon wrote:

I'm starting to learn that you are the king of "that's not what I care about so it must not be important".

It's actually more often a "how can I get this job done with the tools and features that are available to me right now" kind of attitude.

While that's a practical approach and certainly one that will cut down on stress, that's also the mindset that allowed for companies like RIM (Blackberry) to fall behind their competitors. I prefer a more "work with what you've got but if something's missing or broken, speak up" approach.  My hope is that the PPro design team actually listens to their users to make it better. We all have things we wish would improve or be fixed and if we all just said "eh, it is what it is" then nothing would ever improve. I'm more of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it...but if it is, then stop making excuses and fix it". I know the absence of something as simple as audio meters doesn't mean mulitcam is broken, but its an example of an oversight on the part of Premiere's design team that I hope they fix. It's a very simple feature. Every other NLE I've worked with has it. It helps the workflow especially with long multicam sequences. There's no reason it shouldn't work like it does if you play a clip anywhere else. Now its just a matter of if they care enough to fix it.

Truthfully, I was hoping it was just a glitch with my computer and someone was going to chime in and say "it works for me" and I'd have to re-install or something and then it would work. But I guess not. We all work with the tools and features that are available to us right now, but if adding a functionality that should have been there from the beginning can speed up my workflow then I'll gladly be the squeeky wheel.

• 5. Re: Multicam audio levels/meters??? - Premiere CS6
                  Fiedlern

If you simply open the "Audio Mixer" panel you will have real time audio metering.