8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 11:00 AM by johnkwon9

ACR 7.3 RC

Yammer Level 4

... is on Adobe Labs now. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw7-3/ I'm just about to give it a spin, but thought people might like to know ASAP. I'll report back with observations on performance. I gave up on 7.2 because it was slow on my computer, so I'm interested to see if this helps, although performance isn't specifically mentioned in the changelog.

• 1. Re: ACR 7.3 RC
          Noel Carboni Level 7

Thanks.  It appears some things are faster in 7.3RC, but some things are slower.  See the benchmark thread for specifics.

I found a problem already in 7.3RC though...  ACR 7.3RC doesn't see the lens profile for an image that 7.0 does.

CR7.3.png

CR7.0.png

-Noel

• 2. Re: ACR 7.3 RC
            Noel Carboni Level 7

Additionally, Adobe has not yet brought back the edge de-fringing built into 7.0 when Defringe: All Edges was selected, so color moire on fine detail is worse than in 7.0 and it's not possible to set up equivalent functionality using the new control-based de-fringing. 

So it's back to 7.0 for me again for better image quality, better file-opening performance, and less buggy operation. 

-Noel

• 3. Re: ACR 7.3 RC
              johnkwon9 Level 1

Hi Noel,

We're suspecting that this may be due to the profile index.dat files not being updated along with the plugin.  Would you mind going to the following locations on your machine and emailing me (johnkwon@adobe.com) copies of both index.dat files you find under the CameraProfiles and LensProfiles directories?

Mac OS:

Disk/Library/Application Suport/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/Index.dat

Disk/Library/Application Suport/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/Index.dat

Win OS:

Disk/Program Data/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/Index.dat

Disk/Program Data/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/Index.dat

Thank you so much.

• 4. Re: ACR 7.3 RC
                AnnShelbourne Level 2

The Index seems to have updated automatically on my Mac under OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard):

Screen shot 2012-11-09 at 1.08.08 PM.png

• 5. Re: ACR 7.3 RC
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

John, that's probably my fault.  I replaced just the plug-in file itself, without running the installer.

Is installing this version going to mess up my ability to go back to Camera Raw 7.0?

-Noel

• 6. Re: ACR 7.3 RC
                    johnkwon9 Level 1

No, if you run the installer, you will be able to go back to Camera Raw 7.0 using the same method you replaced the 7.3 plugin (I'm assuming you dragged over the .plugin file into the Plug-Ins directory).

However, there is a possibility that the installer may run into issues now that you already had a build of the 7.3 plugin.  The following method would be my suggestion:

1. Install the Camera Raw 7.3 plugin as you previously did (drag and drop)

2. Remove both of the Camera and Lens Profile directories that I mentioned above (move them to a different location for backup)

3. Grab and install the DNG Converter 7.3.

Installing the DNG Converter will reinstall all of the profiles and add the updated Index.dat files as well.

Hope that helps.

• 7. Re: ACR 7.3 RC
                      Noel Carboni Level 7

Thanks for the quick responses, John.  I followed your instructions, all seems well now.  The lens profiles work properly in 7.3RC, and I've confirmed that I can still use Camera Raw 7.0 with the updated profile folders.

I'm very sorry for the false start!

-Noel

• 8. Re: ACR 7.3 RC
                        johnkwon9 Level 1

Awesome - no worries!