5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 3:07 PM by CS6_User

Help with new computer for Photoshop Use ?

CS6_User

I am going to upgrade my laptop (prefer using laptop for various reasons) and I have the choice of two laptops. Yeah one is more expensive and is a gaming laptop but I just want to know which will work best with Photoshop CS6

The two laptops I have the choice of and I don't want any other suggestions please as I only have these to choose from are:

HP Envy DV7

(details here)

Samsun Series 7 Gamer

(details here)

The specs might not say but they both come with Win8 64 Bit

I know the Samsung is a high end gaming laptop but that dosent mean it will be great at photoshop and would the cheaper HP do photoshop just as well for less money ??

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice

thanks

• 1. Re: Help with new computer for Photoshop Use ?
          Curt Y Level 7

Did not look at sites, but basically you should get 8 gig of ram and a discrete video card.  Onboard Intel chips my work but not best.  Ideally you would have 2 internal drives, (for at least 100 g scratch drive),  or a very large SSD.  Scratch drive can be smaller if you are not going to do large images and lots of layers.

Win8 still has teething problems with Adobe.

• 2. Re: Help with new computer for Photoshop Use ?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Honestly, one cannot hope to advise you reasonably on how best to run an application as complex as Photoshop without your having stated any of your needs or goals.  Pretty much any modern computer will be able to run Photoshop.  But...

• What kind of work products are you going to want to make with Photoshop?

• Big images? Small images? Huge images?

• Are you planning to do things that rely heavily on the GPU?  3D?

• Are you going to work with an external monitor?  Is color-management important to you?

CS6_User wrote:

would the cheaper HP do photoshop just as well

That's a kind of meaningless question.

It's akin to asking, "Would a Dodge take me to the store better than a Ford?"

If you're considering doing serious Photoshop work I'd suggest reconsidering a desktop system.  Laptops are typically optimized for things other than what Photoshop needs.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Help with new computer for Photoshop Use ?
              CS6_User Level 1

OK sorry if I was vague

I would be using photoshop for processing RAW files to photos

• 4. Re: Help with new computer for Photoshop Use ?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

I don't mean to be hard on you but that's not much better.

Are you doing professional or hobby work?

Will you be printing these photos?  Will it matter a lot if the shades of color you see on your screen exactly match what you see on the printer?  Or will it be okay if red things are substantially red, blue things substantially blue, etc.?

I'm willing to bet both those systems will run Photoshop quite well, though perhaps not with every GPU-accelerated feature working perfectly - which is okay in most cases because Photoshop has fallback logic that moves things to the CPU in some cases if the GPU isn't up to the task.  I'm personally much more fond of ATI display interfaces than nVidia or (especially) Intel.

I've reached the end of my ability to give you advice on this - I'm much more knowledgeable about desktops than laptops, but if you'll answer some of these questions perhaps others could help you further.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Help with new computer for Photoshop Use ?
                  CS6_User Level 1

My work is wedding photography which I use my computer to process the photos.

I use a laptop at the moment which I know is not the suggested way but I have never had any issues with my screen and my prints come out just as I see them on the screen plus none of my customers have ever complained.... quite the opposite infact