6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 4:53 AM by Jes-Z

Variable titels in bookfile

Jes-Z

Hello everyone! I have a question about a bookfile.

When I have added a document in the bookfile, I want that the header refers to a paragraphstyle on the cover (the title, another document in the same bookfile).

So when I change the title on the front, it immediatly changes in the headers of all following documents in that bookfile.

However I can't find if that's possible. It is possible if it's not a bookfile, I already know how to do that.. But with a bookfile it's a differrent story. Can somebody tell me if it is possible and how to achieve this? Thnx ! Ciao Jessica

• 1. Re: Variable titels in bookfile
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

Jes-Z wrote:

...I want that the header refers to a paragraphstyle on the cover (the title, another document in the same bookfile).

So when I change the title on the front, it immediatly changes in the headers of all following documents in that bookfile...

So your goal is to be connected to the Title paragraph style (format) or to the Title content?

Title on cover ==> head inside

or

Title on cover ==> Title inside

rgds

rgds

• 2. Re: Variable titels in bookfile
            Jes-Z Level 1

Hi Jump_Over! Wow that's fast! I think my goal is to be connected to the Title content. Picture this:

I'm making studybooks. And some of the chapters are re-used in different studybooks.

At this moment I type the name of that training in the masterpages. But it would be so much faster and less error-prone, if the header of a chapter was linked to the title of that studybook.

So whenever I add that chapter to a bookfile, it automatically takes over the name of that particulair studybook. Is that more clear?

• 3. Re: Variable titels in bookfile
              Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

I would create text variable "Title" in every studybooks ("custom text type").

So each title on cover is equal to this variable content.

And each head of chapter could be built as :

variable "Title" + "head custom text".

If you will move chapter to another studybook (same variable, different content) ==> your head chapter content should modify showing different "title".

If your document (chapter) will be a member of many books ==>

variable "Title" shows content depending on in which book is synchronized.

What do you think?

rgds

• 4. Re: Variable titels in bookfile
                Jes-Z Level 1

It sounds good, exactly what I want! So I am definetly gonna try this out! I let you know if I can make it work! But super thanks for now!

Ciao!

• 5. Re: Variable titels in bookfile
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

You can do this with a cross-reference from each location in the chapter files to the single title paragraph elsewhere in the book. Search Google for terms like "InDesign cross-references," without quotes for details.

Some InDesign users report problems with cross-references across files. Search Google for terms like "InDesign cross-reference problem," without quotes for details.

If you have unsolvable cross-reference problems, a text variable in each file can do it, but if the title changes, you'll need to change the variable in each chapter. You can do it manually, file-by-file, or you can synchronize the book chapter files. Search Google for terms like "InDesign book synchronize options," without quotes for details.

HTH

Jes-Z wrote:

Hi Jump_Over! Wow that's fast! I think my goal is to be connected to the Title content. Picture this:

I'm making studybooks. And some of the chapters are re-used in different studybooks.

At this moment I type the name of that training in the masterpages. But it would be so much faster and less error-prone, if the header of a chapter was linked to the title of that studybook.

So whenever I add that chapter to a bookfile, it automatically takes over the name of that particulair studybook. Is that more clear?

• 6. Re: Variable titels in bookfile
                    Jes-Z Level 1

Well that also sounds like that's gonna work! That's good, I'm gonna try it all (next week though)!

Thank you for your feedback!