15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 9:17 AM by John T Smith

CS6 System Design

flbreen Level 1

This maybe repetitious but I am trying to design a new system to run CS6 to replace my 2.5 year old system running CS5.

I would like to build a 6 HDD system where 3 of the HDDs are in Raid0 and the other 3 HDDs are not in Raid.

#1 HDD  - 1TB - OS & CS6

#2 HDD, #3 HDD, and #4 HDD - 1TB -- Raid 0 - CS6 Projects & Media Cashe

#5 HDD  - 3TB - Raw Footage 1

#6 HDD  - 3TB - Raw Footage 2

I want to be able to format #5 HDD and #6 HDD rather than delete files.

I would rather not buy a RAID controller.

The last mobo could not support mixing RAID and non-RAID drives.

Are the any mother boards that will support this design?

• 1. Re: CS6 System Design
          Alan Craven Level 4

All the Sandy Bridge-E motherboards that I looked at when setting up a very similar system would allow this.  I chose the Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5, which has a firewire port if you need it.

It has 6 Intel RAID capable ports, two 6 Gbs and four 3 Gbs.  #1 goes on a 6 Gbs port, #3,4,5 on three of the 3Gbs ports, DVD drive on the sixth port.

You then have four Marvell RAID capable ports to accommodate #5 and #6.

If you go down this road, it is best to install Windows with just the DVD drive and #1 connected.  You MUST set the Intel ports to RAID mode in the BIOS before you start, and you will need to load a Pre-install driver for the Intel ports using F6 at the start, as Windows 7 does not include a driver.  If you install Windows without setting RAID mode and then try to make this change later, Windows will become un-bootable, and you cannot usually reverse the step.

• 2. Re: CS6 System Design
            flbreen Level 1

I forgot to include in my disk configuration 1 bluray burner and 1 old fashion DVD burner.

This motherboard has 12 Sata ports.

I guess you are saying that I cannot just plug it all in configure the bios then install W7.

Would a Raid controller make things simpler?

• 3. Re: CS6 System Design
              Harm Millaard Level 7

With 12 SATA ports, you are probably talking about an 1155 platform and in that case forget about a dedicated raid controller, unless you want to reduce video card performance by around 15%. Just a limitation of the 1155 platform.

• 4. Re: CS6 System Design
                Fabio Pis Level 1

No Harm, Asrock x79 extreme 9 has 12 sata port also.

And you know my PPBM5 performance :-)

• 5. Re: CS6 System Design
                  Fabio Pis Level 1

Hello Francis

I have a similar setup like your building

For OS and CS I use a SSd Corsair Force gt 240 gb

I have a raid 0 on marvell onboard raid controller with two disks (raptor 600 gb x 2)

For storage 2 wd hd 2TB each.

I have a gtx 680 4gb (MSI Frozr OC version)

And it is one of the faster system on PPBM5 performance list

Thi pc is very fast with 3dsmax and vray RT also

to complete my specs:

Asrock X79 extreme 9

I7 3960x @4.4

Gtx 680 4 gb

Corsair force gt 240

MSI Gtx 680 4 gb (oc version)

raid 0 raptor 600 gb each one on marvel raid motherboard controller

2 wd 2Tb each for storage

1 lg bd rewriter

32 gb Kingston hyperX genesis DDR3 1600 Mhz

• 6. Re: CS6 System Design
                    Jim_Simon Level 9

Personally I think you're making a BIG mistake with the RAID 0, where you have triple the chance of losing everything compared to a single drive.

Also, 1Tb is waaaaaay overkill for a C: drive.

I'd recommend the following for 6 disks.

C: OS/Programs (something smaller, a 320 or 250)

D: Projects - 1TB

E: Media - 1TB x 2 (RAID 1, no controller needed)

F: Cache - 1TB

G: Exports - 1TB

The above will keep the load properly spread out, so no one disk is being read from and written to at the same time.  It'll also offer some measure of safety for today's solid state media, which has no tape backup in the event of a drive failure.

• 7. Re: CS6 System Design
                      flbreen Level 1

Thanks for the great design but could I ask you a few questions about it?

C: OS/Programs - is there any advantage to using a smaller drive? The difference in cost is small. I like to use that drive to store music and art work libraries for my videos - that way they stay out of the way of any clean ups  and deletes I do on the other drives.

E: Media - I assume this is where I store my raw footage copied in from my flash card storage. Why not use 3TB x 2? Is there a problem with 3TB drives in this configuration? As E: Media gets full what do you do to open up space on it?

G: Exports - is this where I generate my MP4 files before uploading them to Youtube? I have been sending those files to D: Projects drive in a folder under the project folder. Is there a problem with that?

• 8. Re: CS6 System Design
                        UlfLaursen Level 2

Francis Breen wrote:

Thanks for the great design but could I ask you a few questions about it?

C: OS/Programs - is there any advantage to using a smaller drive? The difference in cost is small. I like to use that drive to store music and art work libraries for my videos - that way they stay out of the way of any clean ups  and deletes I do on the other drives.

Hi Francis

I would not use the OS/Programs drive for other than that. The thing is, that if you want to make a disc-image of your OS/programs drive to be able to restore it if something goes wrong, the you better keep it as clean and small as possible.

Harddrives are quite cheap today, so I would get an extra 500 GB disc for the music etc. I have that myself in my system.

/Ulf

• 9. Re: CS6 System Design
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>keep it as clean and small as possible

I use http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm which compresses as it makes an image of a drive

My 74Gig used space on my boot drive is reduced to 42Gig when I make a backup image

• 10. Re: CS6 System Design
                            flbreen Level 1

Could you elaborate on this backup design? I will have a small drive C: for OS/Programs and I will make an image of this drive and store it somewhere. Could you go over the process of producing and storing the image? I am looking into John's method of compressing and storing the image but what do you do?

• 11. Re: CS6 System Design
                              flbreen Level 1

Thanks for the great info.

What case did you use for this system?

My last case was too small and it was very hard to get power cables by the GPU.

• 12. Re: CS6 System Design
                                Fabio Pis Level 1

Hello Francis,

It is a Cooler Master CM 690 II advanced usb3 with a 950 Corsair PSU (no Modular)

• 13. Re: CS6 System Design
                                  flbreen Level 1

What do you think of my 7 drive system that looks like this:

C: OS/CS6 SSD 250GB

D: Library  500GB

E: Cashe    1TB

F: Projects 1TB

G: Media   2 x 3TB (RAID 1)

H: Exports 1TB

I: DVD Burner

J: Bluray Burner

Is this mobo that I am planning to use appropriate:

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

• 14. Re: CS6 System Design
                                    flbreen Level 1

Sorry to repeat myself on the image backup subject but I am new to this process. I would have a W8/CS6 system with all my applications (and no video resources) on the C: drive. I would install the Terabyte application and use it to create an image of the C: drive and copy that image to an external USB hard drive. If my C: drive fails I can replace it with a new drive and then boot up using my external USB hard drive containing the C: drive image. Then I can copy the C: drive image onto the new C: drive. If that is not the process then could you tell me what is the process.

• 15. Re: CS6 System Design
                                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do not install http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm - you create a Linux boot CD using a program included inside the ZIP file

When you run Image, it is completely outside Windows, since you just booted using the Linux CD

You do not copy a drive image... unless you create the image on an internal drive and wish to copy the image to a USB hard drive as a 2nd backup

You create an image file directly onto a USB hard drive, or a 2nd hard drive inside the computer... reverse the process to restore an image

I have actually restored an image once... I made the image before installing a program, and restored the image when the install hosed the Registry (I don't remember the program's name... it was something I was testing, and I immediately deleted the program download)

Click around the Terabyte site for more information

ADDED - http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/support-image-for-linux.htm