25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2013 10:50 AM by resdesign

Where's the Documentation?

incubox Level 1

I see the tutorials and samples. But where is the user manual?

• 1. Re: Where's the Documentation?
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

There is no 'manual' per say, but I would imagine that as the program grows in features, the tutorial section from the Help menu will grow.

You can also learn from the small subset of In App Lesson files on the main splash screen.

Also bookmark some of these

- Adobe Edge Animate Tv Channel - http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-edge-animate/

- Layers Magazine - http://layersmagazine.com/search?cx=005341607010211352335%3Anmvcohf4eqe&cof=FORID%3A11&ie= UTF-8&q=Edge+Animate

- Via Youtube

- WebPlatform.org - community effort that combines all the technologies used in EA (javascript, jquery, css3, html5)

Darrell

• 2. Re: Where's the Documentation?
            atx700

I think there's help content hidden from certain users and that there's also things built into the javascript to make the software only work for certain people as they are scared of others.

I'm pretty sure I saw a proper user guide prior to the animate release.

• 3. Re: Where's the Documentation?
              John Hall Level 4

The Missing Manual series is not bad, if you're just getting started. Although it doesn't advertise as V1, preview 7 was pretty darn close and it should be great for most purposes. If you're moving into advanced material, check out the JQuery documentation and extrapolate.

• 4. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                incubox Level 1

Thanks, I'll look for it.

• 5. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                  TimJaramillo Level 4

The official Edge Animate API documentation is here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/edgeanimate/api/current/index.html

• 6. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                    John Hall Level 4

And this book was just released:

http://amzn.to/SZarAH

• 7. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                      resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Seriously, if someone would compile the best samples and answers on this forum, they could make a good book!

• 8. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                        incubox Level 1

I find it interesting that Adobe published a book, to purchase, rather than providing a solid user manual. Maybe I'm old school and assume that good software comes with a good user manual? Flash, for example, has always had a very good user manual.

The reason I went to look for the user manual in the first place was to learn about the interface and the different Stages. None of the tutorials hit on those topics. So, out of habit, either good or bad, I went looking for the user manual as I would have for Flash or any other CS app. Oh well, maybe those days of relying on an embedded user manual are over.

• 9. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                          John Hall Level 4

I'm in your camp but as long as the price of the software is $0, I'll cut them some slack ;-) If they start charging prices like the do for Flash Professional, I'll become instantly pickier.

• 10. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                            incubox Level 1

Good point. I assumed I had a trial version. I haven't quite wrapped my head around their Cloud service yet.

• 11. Re: Where's the Documentation?

i was going to mention that too! It is FREE! So we should still be happy and just check this forum for answers.

• 12. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                omigosh123

What kind of a link is taht? It led me to bitly, which I joined, but still no link. Why can't you just put the link in the post?

• 13. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                  omigosh123 Level 1

I think Adobe has cobbled together a bunch of CSS statements and called it a program, then launched it without a manual. And it's not free, at least not for me. I had to join the Creative Coud thing to get this. I don't appreciate corporate greed and I hate companies wasting my time with poor quality workmanshiop and no manual.

As long as we sit here and get all philosophical about the price of software being low (which it isn't), we'll accept second-rate corporations like Adobe. Apple has terrific documentation and much better service. If there was an alternative to Adobe I'd pick it every time. Sooner or later somebody's going to start doing Adobe's work for them and that comany will go the way of Microsoft and HP and others who are losing ground.

• 14. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                    John Hall Level 4

You're a funny person. OK, let me assume you're a guy. You don't have to pay a thing to sign up for Creative Cloud and get Edge for free. Yes, I'm sure you can attribute the dark marketing motive to Adobe and suggest that they will be at your door soon extracting a tithe because they baited you with a foot-in-the-door tactic. In the meantime, Edge Animate is free. If you like it, use it. If not, my preference is that you whine to some other group of folks who aren't trying to get work done.

Whew. I feel better already.

• 15. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                      omigosh123 Level 1

You're absolutely right. I love to whine and the last thing I want to do is get work done. That's why I spend my time complaining about how Adobe wastes my time by producing programs that should have done what their predecessors (Flash) didn't do and have reasonable documentation most other companies provide. There's no reason for Adobe to produce programs that actually work along with documentation that tells users how to work them as long as people are going to use the undocumented junk Adobe already produces. Especially when you're so big you can buy out the competition, like Freehand, and close it down.

But you're right, that's not reason to complain. We should be happy for what Adobe gives us.

• 16. Re: Where's the Documentation?

Wow! This forum has lots of answers to most questions. This is our documentstion. If you decided to use the search feature, then you would find what you need. Most of use started using Animate from preview 1 and just messed with it until we got what we wanted. Adobe added features little by little and is still adding more.

If you cannot be grateful for a free product, then maybe you could find something else to do.

Let's try to be constructive!

• 17. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                          omigosh123 Level 1

I refuse to be grateful to Adobe for creating a program that ensures it owns this sector of the marketplace. By giving away a 'free' program they are preventing small software companies from developing any traction at all and making sure they have no competition in the future.

• 18. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                            John Hall Level 4

You don't need to be grateful (oh, wait. you weren't going to be anyway). Ironically, all of us on the forum (hyperbole - a few of us) over the last year were predicting how Adobe was likely going to charge a lot of money for Edge.

Then they released it and made it available for free. I think that's an OK move for a corporation. I understand that you think the program is junk. I'm guessing you're more of a canvas fan, which is fine; there are lots of ways to go for that. If you prefer, JQuery, by itself, can accomplish essentially the same thing. But there's no GUI.

But don't you feel even the slightest bit silly complaining about a corporation that's not meeting your needs, which implies you expected them to do so and now you're mad that they don't but you're still willing to spend your time coming to their forum to complain? Why not just kiss the product off?

If it doesn't suit your needs, there are dozens of other options.

I really do think it's a choice YOU can make. Adobe may well charge for Edge in the future. Fortunately, I get to decide whether or not I'm going to pay for it then based on the productivity the program affords.And you can decide to use the program or not right now.

If you want to do timeline-based HTML/js, have you checked out Hype? They just released a new version today. Maybe that would be more to your liking. I use both. If you prefer to do all JS and OOP programming, I'm a fan of backbone.js.

I just wouldn't waste your precious time complaining about a program you don't like. I doubt that it will change anything.

Hey, thanks for getting me involved. I've been lying low for a few years through all the Flash/Flex/Flash Builder fiasco and it's enjoyable to discuss where Adobe is going. Tough market, if you ask me.

• 19. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                              omigosh123 Level 1

Thanks for your feedback and I will check out Hype. You obviously know a lot more about this field than I do. I just got the program, liked it because it's easy and does what I want most of the time. But I've always found it infuriating when the few times I need a bit of advice there's often nowhere to turn beyond a forum and forums almost never have the direct answer. Adobe used to produce manuals as a matter of course. I spent several hours last night trying to find out why Edge Animate seemed to degrade the image quality when it was clipped. There was no information on that in the forum. Bought the OReilly e-book instead and couldn't find it there either. Finally managed to fix the problem by reimporting the image but never did find out the cause. Adobe isn't as bad as some, for example, Espresso, a competitor to Coda and Dreamweaver which has absolutely no documentation, no forum and even very little in the way of instructional videos on Youtube.

I can't understand why Adobe doesn't produce at least a simple manual to explain how to get started. Videos are fine but nothing beats a few lines of clearly-written text.

As for my 'ungrateful' attitude, I'm sorry if I'm cynical, but Adobe's offer of a 'free' program is like a drug dealer offering of a free sample. It isn't free very long.

Corporations like Adobe are owned by shareholders who seek to maximize returns in any way possible. I'm here as a cranky customer to make sure Adobe doesn't try to increase profits by cutting out manuals. I've certainly made my feelings known as much as possible through feedback forms, and by whining in this forum. Not that anybody's listening....

• 20. Re: Where's the Documentation?

So, omigosh123

Seriously, what are you doing on this forum? There are lots of little companies that would love to have you. Oh wait, they would probably not appreciate another complainer there either.

My recommendation:

Instead on complaining, try to help people with their code, try to give instead of taking.

• 21. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                                  omigosh123 Level 1

I already give money to Adobe. You want me to help them with their code too?

Believe it or not I am providing a vital public service. If it wasn't for cranky customers like me Adobe would be putting **** in a box and flogging it to grateful customers like you.

I should get paid for this!

• 22. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                                    TimJaramillo Level 4

It's definitely not a thorough "manual", and I have serious issues with how it's organized and presented, but here is the Edge Animate API:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/edgeanimate/api/current/index.html

• 23. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                                      John Hall Level 4

Regarding the old, bad link to a book, here's what I think I intended to point out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0K8YUI/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

Right now there's only one review (though I just submitted a second) and the one star is based on the reader not finding the link to the exercise files. That was true in the original version. The link to the files was in the appendix, which was not real intuitive.  If you already bought the book, it will automatically update to the latest version which has the following on the very first page:

As an eBook reader, you have access to these files by following the steps below:

1. On your PC or Mac, open a web browser and go to this URL: http:// www.peachpit.com/ ebookfiles/ 0133084906

2. Download the ZIP file (or files) from etc...

• 24. Re: Where's the Documentation?
                                                        sarhunt Adobe Employee

Hey everyone,

Alrighty, I'm going to bite off a few pieces of this thread;

Edge Animate is available through a free tier of Creative Cloud. If you visit http://html.adobe.com/edge/animate and follow through the "Get Started" links, you can sign up for a free membership. You don't need to have a paid CCM subscription to use Edge Animate.

As for documentation, there is a plethora of resources out there. From Adobe we have the in-app lessons to get you started, as well as documentation on the Adobe website here: http://helpx.adobe.com/edge-animate/topics.html

We haven't published any books or manuals by Adobe as we rely on our fantastic community authors and help support their authoring through prerelease programs and forums such as this. Any books or manuals you see in the wild have come from the community and rightfully deserve to charge for their hard work. Writing books isn't easy!

Google is also your friend. There's tons of videos and online tutorials available to use a resources to get you started.

That being said, Edge Animate was (and is) being developed with love for the community and the web - which is why our 1.0 was offered free as a thank you for the ongoing support. We're in the business of creating great software, not going after your wallets without offering something in return.

Hope that helps.

Sarah Hunt

Product Manager, Edge Animate

• 25. Re: Where's the Documentation?

Well said, Sarah! Thanks.