30 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2012 2:23 AM by glaustin

Working With SWF?

glaustin Level 1

Hi Guys

A client has asked me for a short movie I did for them as a SWF file. Is that possible somehow? I can't see a pre-set format. If it's not possible direct from Pr, is anyone aware of a work around?

Regards,

Graham

• 1. Re: Working With SWF?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Normally those files come out of the Flash program.

• 2. Re: Working With SWF?
            glaustin Level 1

Any ideas of a work around?

• 3. Re: Working With SWF?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Sorry, no.

• 4. Re: Working With SWF?
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Sure. No problem. Easy as can be. Seriously.

If you do not have Flash, download a trial.

Export the movie out of Premiere Pro as an FLV file.

Create a new Flash project. Set the stage to match the video frame size. If you are using the "Essentials" workspace, the properties for the stage are over on the right. You will likely end up adjusting the size of the stage later to accomodate the controls on the skin you choose.

Under File\Import select Import Video. Find it on your hard drive, make sure to select "Load external video with playback component" and click Next. Select a skin you like and click Next. Click Finish.

Adjust the stage size to accomodate your skin.

File\Export\Export Movie

Give it a name and save it.

That's it. Done. Simple. And relatively fast.

I know. You are looking for the catch. There are a couple. One is that you might decide you need to buy Flash because it is a handy tool. If so, consider the Creative Cloud like I did. I have almost every software program Adobe makes for one low price.

Another catch?

There are so many choices for skins that your client might drive you crazy if you give him too many choices. So, I suggest that you ask your client for an example of the SWF he liked so you can see what skin you should probably use.

• 5. Re: Working With SWF?
                  shooternz Level 6

Take a look at 'AVS Video Converter'

It will convert a file to SWF. amongst many other things.  (Very handy to have this cheap app in the toolbox BTW)

• 6. Re: Working With SWF?
                    glaustin Level 1

Thanks for your advice, guys, I'll try the Flash route first and check out AVS as well.

• 7. Re: Working With SWF?
                      glaustin Level 1

Hi Steven

I followed your steps (on my Win7 PC); great, only a few KBs in size and the resulting SWF is perfect.

To be on the safe side before sending to my client, I thought I'd test it out on my XP laptop, but it doesn't recognise a swf and asks to select a program from a list or the web to open it.I copied the file to our other PC (also running XP) and it recognises the SWF but when i open it I only get a blank screen and toolbar instead of the skin & video.

I have the latest FP and Shockwave Players, so I'm running with two schools of thought:

1. I have a configuration problem on my XP laptop and PC or 2. I've overlooked a step or missed soemthing obvious out (when copying to XP laptop and PC?) Do these problems sound familiar to help point me in the right direction?

Graham

• 8. Re: Working With SWF?
                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Security settings are different when playing locally vs from the web. That is usually the problem.

• 9. Re: Working With SWF?
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I am away from my PC right now but I basically remember that you may need to provide another file for it to play right. That file is probably in the folder where you first exported the file out to.

• 10. Re: Working With SWF?
                            glaustin Level 1

I copied the folder over but it hasn't changed anything when I tried to open the swf...

• 11. Re: Working With SWF?
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Sorry. I am still away from my computer. Try looking in the help file for flash for skins

• 12. Re: Working With SWF?

Is there an html page in the folder? Open that.

• 13. Re: Working With SWF?
                                  glaustin Level 1

Hi Guys. Thanks for your comments. I'm having a devil of a job with this and I can't send on to my client until I'm sure I have a working swf.

It plays beutifully on the PC I published the files on but it won't play anywhere else. I dupicated and published the files to Dreamweaver and used the html. The html plays fine on my PC and browser but when I uploaded it and the accompanying files to the website, nothing is there! It must be something straight forward that I'm overlooking but it's driving me mad... Anyone with any ideas out there?

• 14. Re: Working With SWF?
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

You may want to bring this over the Flash forum, where the Flash experts hang out.

• 15. Re: Working With SWF?
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I am I am sorry I have not been able to help. I checked into the hospital for some tests on Sunday and they have kept me here since then. Jim is correct. The flash gurus oughta be able to help you get to the final step. Just tell them what you have done so far and ask for whatever information that they can offer to get you the rest of the way.

• 16. Re: Working With SWF?

Steven, our thoughts are with you!

Glaustin, the flash gurus may be helpful. The most frequent problem when the file works locally and not on the web is that you have not set the location of the file correctly - this often requires redoing the settings in flash. Occassionally there is a server setting that requires fixing.

You do have the flv uploaded to the web and in the same folder as the swf?

• 17. Re: Working With SWF?
                                          glaustin Level 1

OMG, Steven; I hope you are on the mend. Yes, I was already thinking this was developing more into a Flash issue, so I'll move over there. Thank you for your advice and sincere wishes for a speady recovery.

• 18. Re: Working With SWF?
                                            shooternz Level 6

Did you try the simple conversion to swf via AVS Video Convertor?

I have used it many times to create files from TVCs  I shot when they are required on POS tills displays( point of sales).

• 19. Re: Working With SWF?
                                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts. It turns out that I am fine, but when you get that many syptoms that point to a possible heart attack you go to the hospital.

In any case, I think the problem might be that Flash produces a file named AuthortimeSharedAssets.fla in the directory where you put your project. And also puts a swf file with the name of the skin you used into the same directory. I believe that these files need to either be on the server, or to play on the PC outside the browser, you need to have them in the directory with the swf file you created.

• 20. Re: Working With SWF?
                                                glaustin Level 1

Hi

Before moving over to the Flash forum, I tried shooternz AVS converter but I have the same problem and the SWF file will not open or appear on the web (other than that AVS was straight forward).

Perhaps there's something wrong with my output settings, although it was a straight forward output to h264.

• 21. Re: Working With SWF?
                                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Did you copy the files I suggested to the same directory on the web site as the swf file?

When you export out of Flash it tells you that you might need to go in and adjust the URL of the files after the fact.

There might be more to this, I suppose. I have only ever put Flash on my web site without a skin. I will take a harder look when I get home tonight if I can.

• 22. Re: Working With SWF?

When you create a swf in Flash, I think modifying the url requires redoing the swf. This is not true when you use a swf that is an flv player. This assumes that the problem is the swf not finding the flv.

• 23. Re: Working With SWF?
                                                      glaustin Level 1

Hi Steven

The only obvious file it created alongside the swf of the flv/ video was "MinimaFlatCustomColorPlayBackSeekCounterVolMute.swf", which I copied over in a zip file. I don't recall getting a message when I exported out of Flash.

Thanks for having a look when you if you get a moment.

• 24. Re: Working With SWF?
                                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Well, the only way I can figure this out is to use Dreamweaver. I insert a swf and then when I save the file it creates a Scripts directory. As long as that is a directory under the directory where I put my html file, it works fine.

• 25. Re: Working With SWF?
                                                          glaustin Level 1

Hi guys

I found the answer on the Flash Forum, but to square the circle for anyone checking out this thread, it was a path issue.

If anyone has the same problem:

1.     Open your swf movie in Flash (select on the stage) and then look in the Properties panel for the "source" parameter,

2.     If it specifies an absolute path (like "C://dir/dir/etc/yourflvfilename.flv") then change it to a relative path  (ensuring all the relevant files - html, swfs, and flv - are all in the same folder),

3.     You change it to a reletive path by replacing the absolute path with just the flv filename ("yourflvfilename.flv"),

4.     Save and re-publish/ export the swf.

• 26. Re: Working With SWF?
                                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Ah. Thanks for getting back to us. That info could prove quite handy one day.

• 27. Re: Working With SWF?
                                                              PmPhotographic Level 2

Hi, only just saw your thread, but I have some similar info which may help in the future

I have used Dreamweaver to create a simple web site with a SWF file.  It played fine on my local PC (acting as a server), but when uploaded to my host, it didn't work.  Similarly to yourself, I found that the associated files for skin etc had to be moved 'up' a folder layer (ie not where Dreamweaver placed it) in order to make it work

• 28. Re: Working With SWF?
                                                                glaustin Level 1

Many thanks pm. Glad I wasn't alone facing swf issues. Just so I'm clear (as I am a bit technically challenged), when you say "moved-up a folder layer", do you mean renamed or moved from a sub-folder into the 'root' folder?

• 29. Re: Working With SWF?
                                                                  PmPhotographic Level 2

Hi

As you say, from a sub folder to a higher level one.  I'm not sure, but think this could vary depending on the host set up, so the final placement may be different

• 30. Re: Working With SWF?
                                                                    glaustin Level 1

OK, many thanks for that.